Interpreting dorset surf forecast

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Interpreting dorset surf forecast

Postby rwood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 am

Hi guys,

I'm new to the area and looking to head down to the dorset coast (Bournemouth, Kimmeridge) sometime to check out the surf. I live in salisbury so its a bit of a trek down there and was just wondering how to interpret the magicseaweed forecast. I only ask as the forecast never says it looks very good, but looking at photos of Kimmeridge on a 'bad' day according to the forecast, it appears to be pumping! even when theres only 1ft of swell @ 10 sec

So I was just wondering whether anyone had a rule of thumb for interpreting the forecast for kimmeridge and/or bournemouth. Would be very helpful!

Oh and if anyone is from Salisbury and wants to head down sometime, give me a shout I can drive.

Cheers, Rich
rwood

Re: Interpreting dorset surf forecast

Postby Vince Noir » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:44 pm

if you dont know how to interpret the forecast, i would have thought you dont want to be heading to kbay..its fickle as hell anyway

kbay has deep water leading into it so long period swells do a bit better than peirs which are shallow and suck the life out of the swell.

look for big onshore storm surf followed by light winds or off shores. id check the cams before going as its never any good
Vince Noir

Postby rwood » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:38 am

Cheers Vince, thanks for the tips!
rwood

Postby JoeHart » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:58 pm

ha ha
JoeHart

Return to General