surfing with a soundtrack!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

surfing with a soundtrack!

Postby van wilde » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:29 am

Hey all, this might sound a little daft, but me, like i am sure, a lot of other surfers like to 'pump out the tunes' to get in the mood for a surf. Any ways, i was wondering, that rather than using ear plugs to help safeguard against the cold elements and surfers ear, would underwater headphones do the same trick? Plus especially on the bigger days i all ways think a bit of Offspring would not go a miss right now!
They sell some down Newquay at the wetsuit company shop, and i have seen a few on Ebay. Any one had any experience or tried any of these? :-D
van wilde

Re: surfing with a soundtrack!

Postby wigsy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:06 am

Got a friend who uses them to swim.. Considered pair for the pool myself, just haven't got round to it yet.

Quite expensive too, no?
wigsy

Postby van wilde » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:14 am

well, the headphones i have looked at go around the back of the head for a more secure fit, and they cost around 20 quid, but theres a lot of different styles on ebay. I can just imagine getting tangled up, or the headphones falling out when you get your arse kicked by a wave with some of them though
van wilde

Postby Pterodroma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Not being able to hear the guy you are about to stuff screaming at you. Not being able to hear the lip crack into the flats as you duck under a clean up set. Not being able to hear the general noise of the ocean. Birds.

Music smothering all this would eliminate a large part of the sensual pleasure I get from being in the sea and surfing.

Also, where is the music coming from? A waterproof mp3 player down your suit? Anyway, to answer your question, if the headphone excludes water from your ear canal and isn't easily dislodged then I guess it function exactly as an ear plug would.

Maybe "sorry mate I'm listening to The Offspring" will soon be added to the list of drop in excuses?!
Pterodroma

Postby Black » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Surely one would listen to Wet, wet, wet!

The ball is rolling, over to you.....
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby surfrat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:14 pm

been and done, they've been around for years but never really taken off eh?
plus you'd miss the swirly gurgle noise of getting shacked
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby bakers » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Some Lamb of god would go great while sitting out back I think.
I read somewhere a while ago, maybe in Carve magazine that some scientist was doing research on if people surf better when listening to certain types of music.
bakers

Postby Stan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 am

Wipeout by the Surfaris on a loop would be the sound track for me
Stan

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 am

Comfy chair, smoking jacket, pipe and slippers would be good sitting outback waiting for a wave.
buttholesurfer

Postby Chris F » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 am

Wow Offspring, aren't you cool. 8)

Agree with Pterodroma. Missing all the vital joys of a surf the sounds of the sea, the banter with other surfers, the yells of "fucker" as you drop in.
Chris F

Postby van wilde » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:59 pm

nice to see sarcasm is still strong an abundant on here. I love the sound of the sea and nature, how ever, different moods give off different tastes. All though don't winter wetsuit hoods and ear plugs dampen sound..........?
This was a question to see if any body had tried them or could recommend some good kit as i have seen quite a few different examples and the idea interested me.

As for 'must be cool' listening to Offspring, i was merely expressing what songs i could imagine surfing too.... would you prefer the spicegirls or busted? I think cool at the moment is justin bieber and gangnam style isnt it?

Has anybody tried certain headphones or even the wrap around the back of the head swimming mp player? I cant imagine corded headphones working well.
van wilde

Postby bakers » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:33 pm

It would be a bit off putting not being able to hear anything thats going on around you.
bakers

Postby Black » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Never once sat in the line-up thinking "I need music", often sing though!
Pretty sure it would detract/distract from what is going on.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby van wilde » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:02 pm

yeah i can see it could be off putting, but would be interested in giving it a try, or instance when i go running, i love running to music, might work in the same way, but then might not
van wilde

Postby wigsy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:51 pm

Black wrote:Never once sat in the line-up thinking "I need music"

I often think this, but only when I hear a terrible song on the radio the last minute before shutting the car engine off, and that song is stuck in my head on a loop for hours on end..

Example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAdb1vgoik
wigsy

Postby briggfoot » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:01 pm

:evil: :evil:
Yeah cheers for that. Was just about to go to sleep. :evil:

:wink:
briggfoot

Return to General