Is basecoat wax really necessary?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Is basecoat wax really necessary?

Postby Paul C » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 am

Is basecoat wax really necessary? I have waxed boards with and without it and can't tell the difference and it still comes off in places after a surf either way.
Paul C

Re: Is basecoat wax really necessary?

Postby dermo909 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 am

It works well for me in water between 8-15c. Cold water wax is too soft and rubs off too easy on its own. Basecoat gives it something to stick to which makes it last a little bit longer. I usually have to redo the area where I put my hands on popup though.
dermo909

Postby Vince Noir » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:04 am

warm water wax makes a good base coat
Vince Noir

Postby SST » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:06 pm

I definitely find it helpful here in Shetland, where the water is frigid year round. I can get a nice bump pattern with the basecoat, then the very soft wax tends to stick to the pattern rather than smearing and clumping. The basecoat always stays on and least leaves a pattern if the top coat melts away, which is better than nothing.

May well be a different story in warmer waters where the right wax isn't quite so soft though...
SST

Postby danny1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 pm

i have never ever put a basecoast of wax on

I thougt this was normal?
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby defever » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Wondered exactly the same last winter.

Tried warm water wax as a base then cold water wax. The most of the cold water wax came off after a single 1hr session and had to be reapplied every session. Warm water wax on its own doesn't give a good traction in 8-10C, obviously. It's just too "plastic"-y, even after combing...

Tried the same with cool water as a base. Slight improvement compared to warm water base. Cool wax is perfect in the 13-15+C UK summer, but not just quite perfect in the sub 10C winter.

Did cold water wax only and it's too soft and loads of smear all over the board and on my chest on the first paddle out. By the time I get out the back and catch a wave, criss-crossed wax layer just turns into one big blob and I won't have much traction...

I mixed bit of cold water and cool water wax alternatively on my board but I haven't been in water since then so I can't say anything yet.

Would be nice to find something in between cold and cool water wax.
defever

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:30 pm

no
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby dixie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:47 pm

I've never used it
I do the criss cross n the go over it real lightly to build up bumps.....very grippy......re aply a quick rub every sesh.

Wax will eventually absorb water and become un grippy n heavy n need replacing.

One wax to bind them one wax to rule them all :-D
dixie

Return to General