Surfing - an aggressive, passive sport?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Surfing - an aggressive, passive sport?

Postby bernard » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Just need to let off steam really.....sorry if this is seen as "trolling"

I've just read "Surfing Rules of the Road" posted on facebook by MSW. Then I read a few of the comments and it got me thinking - surfing is VERY aggressive considering it's participants are perceived as such a world loving peace making folk. Take the photo with the guy getting run over.....that's acceptable? I'm sure that the rider could have got around the guy paddling out. There's no need to be that aggressive and seriously injure someone cos they "got in the way". It's not acceptable in any sport, why surfing?

Then I thought about when was the last time a fellow surfer ever said "your wave".....or "nice ride".....or "ok, you were out of position, but no worries"....it doesn't happen. The only people I've seen say or do the above are me and my mates, and we're normally looked at as freaks when we dare utter a word to another surfer. For a sport that's so "free", there's a lot of rules.....

I've been at skate parks recently as my son is really in to it.....the stoke and respect skater have for one another is amazing. no aggression towards each other.....lots of back slapping and congratulations.....lots of help and chat.......

why are surfers so bloody miserable!

..........ok, rant over.......i think
bernard

Re: Surfing - an aggressive, passive sport?

Postby swiggy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Waves are a limited resource. People fight over limited resources. Nothing different about surfing. Uncrowded places are generally friendly, unless there is the threat of crowding, then people are aggressive to prevent it becoming crowded.
swiggy

Postby swiggy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:25 pm

The majority of earth's inhabitants are fundamentally selfish.

Plenty of surfers will hoot other peoples rides at out of the way reefs when theres just a few people out and everybody is taking turns etc. This isn't going to happen at a very crowded 3ft beachbreak where its every man for himself trying to get waves..
swiggy

Postby defever » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:49 am

I don't think "surfing rules" are complicated in any way. I feel that they are no more than fundamental social etiquette based on common sense, no? The irony about common sense is that it's not so "common" amongst people...

I strongly believe that anyone who is starting out surfing should have a basic lesson from certified surfing schools so that they know the rules (and the sea and how to surf). Or at least go with an experienced surfer friend who is willing to teach a beginner (not leaving the beginner alone in white water and going out in the back!).

An exaggerated example would be driving a car; if you are not arrested before then, you will end up killing yourself or others if you don't know the Highway Code. You won’t be allowed to drive independently until you pass the lessons. Even so, we still have drivers like boy-racers, Sunday drivers, foreign drivers, hesitant drivers, blondes (sorry only joking!), as well as good mannered safe drivers.

May be we need surfing police in water… haha. Or maybe we just need to accept the inevitable reality that there will be idiots in every spot and it’s up to us “pacifists” to avoid conflict by choosing another peak, choosing quieter time of the day, going to lesser crowded spot, or simply taking your SUP/Kayak to rule ‘em all…
defever

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:00 am

Do surf schools even cover the rules? I'd be pretty suprised if they did. I'd like to see a copy given free with all new boards.

Can i come surfing with you Bernard? I promise i wont look at you like a freak if you give me all your waves :D

I love sharing waves. Especially other peoples ones. :twisted:
Poo Stance

Postby defever » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:12 am

Poo Stance wrote:I'd like to see a copy given free with all new boards.

Very good point! I remember when I bought a BIC board very long time ago there was a slip of paper with "how to" bottom turn and cutbacks as well as basic surfing manners. That'll get the words around.

I presumed that surf schools teach their novice students the rules... or is only for "improver" students?
defever

Postby skot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Ha,

I think some people just love to be grumpy fuckers. I find if you say hello to most people in the water you'll get a response it's just a case of being the person to do it, although once I did have one guy look at me like I was an alien. Surfed a crowded Porthcawl on Saturday afternoon, had a guy drop in, he apologised and that was that. It was close to high tide and busy, I wouldn't have done it, but it didn't ruin my afternoon.
skot

Return to General