mcnamara withdraws nazare wave from xxl...

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

mcnamara withdraws nazare wave from xxl...

Postby lefty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:26 am

he's not interested in hype and by entering the wave it goes against what he believes in...

fair play to him.

full story here >>> http://www.surfermag.com/features/mcnam ... -from-xxl/
lefty

Re: mcnamara withdraws nazare wave from xxl...

Postby WP101 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:21 pm

fair play to g.mac

“I believe Pacifico is the perfect partner for the Billabong XXL Big Wave Awards as it is synonymous with the beach lifestyle,” said Graham Stapelberg, Billabong’s Global Marketing Manager. “It would be hard to find a big wave enthusiast who hasn’t celebrated an epic day of surf with an ice cold Pacifico. It’s an ideal fit.”

kill yourself, no seriously do.
WP101

Postby prjwebb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm

or, by withdrawing it does it get talked about more than it would have if it was entered?
prjwebb

Postby mal-nourished » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:31 pm

marketing ploy pure and simple...as pj pointed out more publicity in pulling out... :roll:
mal-nourished

Postby lefty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:46 pm

mal-nourished wrote:marketing ploy pure and simple...as pj pointed out more publicity in pulling out... :roll:

i kinda saw it as him not wanting the wave to win outright when its real hard to determine the actual size. so out of respect to his peers and the other waves entered he's pulled it as the hype is becoming bigger than the wave ( though its damn big no question )

im as cynical as they come but on this one i dont see it as a ploy.

“I decided to pull my ride from the event because I’m opposed to the event having an alcohol sponsor. I’ve been thinking a lot about what we really contribute to this world, and at the end of the day you’ve got to make choices,” said McNamara. “I don’t want kids to think that they’re going to be able to accomplish their goals in life by drinking alcohol. That’s only gonna make your goals harder to accomplish and I didn’t want to be associated with that.”

we'll always remember the wave regardless though aye..
lefty

Postby WP101 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 am

lefty wrote:
im as cynical as they come but on this one i dont see it as a ploy.

im with you there.
WP101

Return to General