The ultimate surf accessory

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

The ultimate surf accessory

Postby swiggy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Out here anyway, these are pretty nice to access most of the coast..

boat.jpg
boat.jpg (85.63 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Nice to have my own at last.
Just need to pick up an outboard now, got my eye on a few. Stoked
swiggy

Re: The ultimate surf accessory

Postby Poo Stance » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Very cool. Would love one of these. So many spots where this would come in handy.

So what's the deal... You run it up the beach to park it? Can you anchor these things?
Poo Stance

Postby swiggy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Out here, majority of the coastline is boat-only, really dense forests, mountains, inlets and rivers with no roads..

Yeah, can beach it. I didn't want to go much bigger since beaching becomes difficult due to weight, with a 20 horse motor this will still be easy for 2 guys to manhandle up the beach, its rated to carry 7 people/1100 pounds, don't need to go bigger for what I want, I'm keeping it student budget. I will be taking a tiny 2hp backup motor too in a drybag, you can get very remote very easily round here, even though radioing for coastguard pick up is cheaper than taking the bus round town its something I'd rather not rely on.. I did get a proper zodiac fold-up anchor with it too that has no sharp points to damage the boat while its being stored, there will be plenty of day trips where we just launch somewhere and zip up the coast wearing wetsuits, anchor, jump in and surf, paddle back out to boat. Probably only beach it on camping trips. I'm getting pretty excited about this, just deciding between a few different motors right now.
swiggy

Postby tootes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:46 am

awesome, have fun, you'll be naming new spots soon!
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby danny1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 am

nice!

you may remember freerider who used to post on here

he bought soething similar a couple months back
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Vince Noir » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 am

you got a life jacket swiggins ?
Vince Noir

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 am

+ Marine VHF radio ....................... 'Mayday, Mayday, Mayday : Telegraph Cove, Telegraph Cove, this is Swig1, repeat Swig1 , thruster punctured rubber, taking on water'........... :lol: :lol:

Boys own adverture stuff there Swiggy :mrgreen:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Ferral » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Epic very very jealous!!
Ferral

Postby swiggy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Vince Noir wrote:you got a life jacket swiggins ?

Yeah, 4 came with the boat. Although I do think they are a bit unnecessary if you are wearing a 6mm (lifejacket or not you are dead in 10 mins without a wetty in 6 degree water) and have boards in the boat, they are a legal requirement here, as are flares and a boat licence (easy to get, just an online theory test kind of like the driving one, no practical test).

I will have a radio before heading out, haven't picked one up yet. They go for ~$100 here, not too bad. Theres a few bits and pieces still, I can see how boats get expensive..

Danny, yeah I remember Paul, think you mentioned he had just got a boat when I saw you? They open a lot of doors..

Boating in to remote spots is amazing, I can't wait to be able to plan whatever trips I want and not be trying to tag along with other people all the time. When you come round a corner and see pumping waves from the back with nobody around, nothing but dense forests and snowy mountains on land, its amazing. Such a different experience to pulling up at the go-to spots close to the city where I surf regularly, hassling for 2 foot waves with 20 guys on a peak.. I've surfed loads of spots already that may or may not be named, may or may not have been surfed. Quite a lot of surfers do have boats, so they have probably all been surfed, but you'll never know because its not like you are going to ask people and give away a possible find.. Regardless of whether somebody has been there previously it is amazing to "find" waves just from maps and google earth.
swiggy

Postby Vince Noir » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 pm

ah, i meant for if you weren't suited up already

i use a boat fishing sometimes and even though i can swim perfectly fine would never dream of going out in it without a life jacket
Vince Noir

Postby Chris F » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Radio not ideal if boat goes over! I would look into getting a satellite phone and a waterproof bag for it - I think you can hire, as expensive to buy.
Chris F

Postby swiggy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Chris F wrote:Radio not ideal if boat goes over! I would look into getting a satellite phone and a waterproof bag for it - I think you can hire, as expensive to buy.

I have a waterproof marine radio, stays fixed to lifejacket. Plus we also have a spot transponder, hit the button and it sends a distress call to emergency services and broadcasts location. Hope never to use them though..

Went exploring yesterday. Scored overhead hollow beachbreak with nobody around. Wish I did this 2 years ago...
swiggy

Postby Chris F » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 am

Sounds like you got it covered. Have fun! Keen to see some pics.
Chris F

Postby mountain man » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:41 am

This is me using my surf accessory. Not tried towing into waves on it but good fun when it's flat as. I'm on a 5'10" twin fin which was really skittery especially when crossing the wake.
Attachments
GOPR0002.jpg
GOPR0002.jpg (103.42 KiB) Viewed 325 times
mountain man

Postby swiggy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Nice. Yours looks a bit more $$ than mine.. You need it for any wave access? Theres a couple places in pembs eh?
swiggy

Postby wigsy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:45 am

sshhh, no waves in Pembs..
wigsy

Postby Kamikaze » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 am

This is the ultimate surf accessory.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36191

And its still for sale if anyones interested!
Kamikaze

Postby swiggy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:03 pm

wigsy wrote:sshhh, no waves in Pembs..

Wasn't asking for details, more of a yes/no question just out of curiosity. I've been to pembs once in my life and don't have any mates there (I don't think? Maybe I've forgotten someone), places that I know about are probably pretty common knowledge. Carve printed pics of a boat access wave "somewhere in wales" a few years ago, but they also gave away far too much info on some east coast waves so..
swiggy

Postby wigsy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:49 pm

swiggy wrote: Carve printed pics of a boat access wave "somewhere in wales" a few years ago,

Haha yeah, they did, the fools.. The description pretty much gave it away in one!

Never mind, eh?
wigsy

Return to General