How long can you last? (in the water!)

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

How long can you last? (in the water!)

Postby HD7 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:59 pm

Been surfing a few times recently, getting the bug I think!

Just wondering how long you guys can last in the water before your arms start giving up? Obviously the more practice I do (and I'm gonna start hitting the gym too) will make me last longer.

Cheers
HD7

Re: How long can you last? (in the water!)

Postby briggfoot » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:14 pm

HD7 wrote:Been surfing a few times recently, getting the bug I think!

Well make sure you don't get the same bug I got! Been literally spraying rusty-water from my ring piece most of today/yesterday/day before.......Oh, not that sort of bug!?

(but seriously, anyone else who surfed Watergate way on Monday/Tuesday been seeeriously in the hurt-locker over the last few days with virus?! Trying to rule it out so I can blame that McDonalds I ate.....

HD7 wrote:Just wondering how long you guys can last in the water before your arms start giving up? Obviously the more practice I do (and I'm gonna start hitting the gym too) will make me last longer.

Cheers

Well it depends on a lot of things, some of which:
If the waves are arriving quite frequently, and you're constantly having to duck-dive through them, or paddle over them, if there's alot of water moving around, and you have to paddle a lot to stay in position, if you're catching long rides and have to paddle along way to get back to the take-off spot, if you have to paddle much to get on to the waves etc, SIZE and power of waves, what type of board you're using.....

I'm normally in for a good few hours before i'm swinging dead-weight arms around, but I DO notice a difference if I havn't surfed for a week or more, and i DO notice a big boost in my paddling speed etc if I've surfed a few days consecutively.

Hope this is of some help.....?
briggfoot

Postby HD7 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Yeah a good help! Made me laugh too!

I lasted 2 hours the other day when there was so much white water and broken waves cos I was hardly paddling. Was stood up fighting the waves most of it so it was using my legs. The waves were so powerful so didn't need to paddle much. Had to get out to take the boards back really. Got my own board now. Went out yesterday in like 1-2ft, shouldn't have went really. Lasted about 1hr30 before my arms were shagged. Lots of paddling around, and paddling like crazy trying to catch tiny waves with no power (especially with my lump!)
HD7

Postby briggfoot » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 pm

HD7 wrote:Yeah a good help! Made me laugh too!

I lasted 2 hours the other day when there was so much white water and broken waves cos I was hardly paddling. Was stood up fighting the waves most of it so it was using my legs. The waves were so powerful so didn't need to paddle much. Had to get out to take the boards back really. Got my own board now. Went out yesterday in like 1-2ft, shouldn't have went really. Lasted about 1hr30 before my arms were shagged. Lots of paddling around, and paddling like crazy trying to catch tiny waves with no power (especially with my lump!)

Lol, well it's all 'time in the water,' and helps improve your surfing-specific fitness and balance, with the result that you're in a better position to take advantage when conditions are better/bigger....... Like Tescos: 'every little helps.'.....
briggfoot

Postby HD7 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Cheers for the tips.

With regards to balance, is it something that comes with experience as well? I'm shit at sitting on the board while waiting for waves :lol:
HD7

Postby briggfoot » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:24 pm

HD7 wrote:Cheers for the tips.

With regards to balance, is it something that comes with experience as well? I'm shit at sitting on the board while waiting for waves :lol:

Well i'm no expert, but I believe so, you won't even notice it developing. And if I have had a few weeks off a board, if I go out on something short, I'm often a little bit 'wobbly' initially, compared to normal....

It's one thing I find I lose quite quickly, but recover after a bit of a splash about. Another is 'reading' the waves:- seeing how they're forming and building, where the peaks going to be i.e. where it will crest + break first, and sussing your timing for paddling.
briggfoot

Postby Black » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Two minutes of joy & heavy breathing keeps me going for a month or so.... :mrgreen:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Rickyroughneck » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Depends what kind of day it is. On a big day it is constant paddling (or feels like it) to get outside and then to keep on a peak so I don't last as long so maybe a couple of hours, more if I am fitter. On a medium - small day I can stay out for as long as I like; most of that is sitting outback and enjoying imaginary sunshine in my head.
Rickyroughneck

Postby Philshoz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 am

If you are super fit you can last as long as you want.

BUT, as we get older I have found that the first part of a session is all good and happy times, feeling sharp and getting good waves. Then when tiredness starts to kick in I get sloppy sometimes and make mistakes, feeling frustrated with it all......... :-x :-(

So fitness is the key and knowing when to get out...........
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Return to General