GO PRO...

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

GO PRO...

Postby well-chilled-out » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:12 am

GO PRO's.....SAD or NOT ? Just interested as users all seem to follow the same o shots with a that annoying mount on the nose. Why don't owners film the wave from different interesting aspects ie:camera facing forward, tail mounted, holding the camera by hand...They just seem to be about self indulgance & personal vanity rather than capturing the beauty of the sport..I also cringe everytime I see a board with that plastic mount on the nose without the camera....Perhaps its just me being an old fart ?
well-chilled-out

Re: GO PRO...

Postby briggfoot » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:53 am

If people are using them to get video-analysis of their technique or for remembering quality sessions in years to come then that's fair enough, but I think for a lot of people it is some self-indulgent activity to get good photos of themselves to show off to everybody on Facebook about what a surfing hipster legend they are....
Ultimately though it's a persons free-choice what they want to do, and if we don't like it that's our own problem.

I'd like to get one with the handle-mount, just so I can stick on some fins and go record footage of my surfing buddy for an hour or so, then swap over. Reckon you'd improve so much watching your mistakes back...?

Think this has been discussed in some depth on this forum already....
briggfoot

Postby defever » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:54 pm

I, too, don't understand the self-filming using GoPro. GoPro is one intelligent and very functional piece of (expensive) kit, I'm not against the use of it or despise people with it.

I just don't understand how to watch the clip recorded from the nose of the board. I can't really see what the rider is doing in relation to the board or wave. The board is stable and everything else moves around the board; hard to grasp what's happening in motion.

BUT THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8RCn165haDk is brilliant. Black posted this on "Quality clip - AI RIP" thread. It's the most audience-friendly POV I've seen but lots of work is required to perfect it. I think this will be the foundation of the next level in GroPro filming.
defever

Postby roberdy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:06 pm

it's actually kinda hard for the average Joe to think about, set up and successfully complete different angles and shots with the GoPro, they don't provide a selection of mounts that are easily used for other shots really. If you've seen any of my efforts you know they are mostly of the type you are not interested by and whilst they have been really useful for me over the last couple of years to get an idea of my technique and improve it they are not cinematic genius!!

I've been working on something for a couple of months to be able to film hand held or helmet mounted, done a couple of tests but nothing worth showing yet, I even mailed GoPro for advice, they weren't that helpful to be honest and really just said not to take any risks with the camera that might result in it being lost (as if I would). Point is that if Kelly sticks one in his gob and paddles into a 6ft drainer at Kirra and gets drilled and loses it, GoPro will just give him another one. He also has the much higher likelihood of making the drop! Not so for me though so I am immediately handicapped in two ways, firstly that I am not of Kelly's ability so my shots are not going to be late drop to barrel situations and secondly I will be worried about the cameras' safety so have to have a system that means I can drop it and it won't be lost.

Just turning around the mount on the nose of your board doesn't look that great unless the wave has a great long wall, any turns look a bit weird with the fisheye effect! The helemt mounted approach might bear fruit but the water in Scotland has not yet really been warm enough to wear a Gath helmet on it;s own, maybe in the next few weeks! The other problem with that way is that if the camera angle gets knocked you can't tell without putting your hand on it, then you have to watch you don't get any wax etc on the lens and trying to turn the bloody thing on with 5mm gloves on is pretty hard too!

Anyway, some of us are thinking about it, I couldn't believe the amount of GoPros up the hill the other weekend when I went snowboarding, all helmet mounted though, whilst I was testing the handheld idea I am working on, video to follow sometime!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby well-chilled-out » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Yep seen this has been discussed before but still just see the almost animated, flappy arm results the fish eye view gives. I appreciate its an expensive piece of kit & would hope those that buy it really explore the potential. What if George Greenough had one of these (suppose he invented them really )?.....I applaud you guys who are seeing beyond the Narcissus effect. Just makes me cringe when I see guys looking at the camera rather than the wave they're on !
well-chilled-out

Postby Rickyroughneck » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 pm

I've got a bullet cam that I stuck on a cheap bike helmet to grab POV footage me and my mates in the water. 100% narcissism, but it doesn't hurt anyone (apart from my ego when I watch back myself failing) so I see no reason to hate. I agree that the footage from surfboard mounts sucks.
Rickyroughneck

Postby Chris F » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:55 am

roberdy wrote: I couldn't believe the amount of GoPros up the hill the other weekend when I went snowboarding, all helmet mounted though, whilst I was testing the handheld idea I am working on, video to follow sometime!

Amazed me too. Most of them worn by, how shall I put it, not the best boarders on the mountain. With snowboarding you have both hands free and a relatively good chance of retrieving the camera if you lose it, so you can be a bit more imaginative then plonking it on your head. I'm trying to figure out a quick to assemble extension pole I can stick on the front of my snowboard, made from an old telescopic ski pole. Hopefully be ready for next winter.
Chris F

Postby Vince Noir » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

one bloke had a go pro on his wrist.....whilst learning to surf on a foamy

fair enough if he already owned one, but why bother spending money on that and not a wetsuit or a board
Vince Noir

Postby Ferral » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:17 am

Its difficult to get good footage of others whilst not sacrificing having a surf yourself. This is my best effort so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNthbyRqLU

Clearly its easier in small waves. I think getting the LCD back screen would make it a hell of a lot easier - but they are another 80 quid on top! Too often I film someones wave but find I've got mostly sky :oops:

The wrist mount is ok, waiting for some sunshine and really hollow waves to make the most of it!
Ferral

Postby well-chilled-out » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 pm

These things should make you guys think out of the box & experiment..I'm thinking, why not mount on a long pole & follow a wave (or your mate) on a longboard with the camera angled from above, looking down. How about shots under the board trailing back to see the slipstream from the thrusters etc..Shots of those perfect 6" high barrels we all look at & wish we were an inch high...Just different stuff...Sure it's difficult & you wont get a perfect result everytime but surely the potential is far more interesting....
well-chilled-out

Postby Chris F » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:27 pm

have you seen the video of one mounted on the end of the trombone? Wierd effect, but quite clever. I think people are loathe to experiment for fear of a) losing the camera or b) missing out on vital water time.
Chris F

Return to General