Car Key Security.

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Car Key Security.

Postby burhou » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 am

Hi,
Could anyone advise what is the most secure lock for storing your car keys in whilst surfing . Have had an older VW Golf for years and they did a plastic door key that I just wore on a cord round my neck . Getting a newer model Golf estate soon and apparently VW unfortunately no longer do this type of key . Just wondered what ones other people use . Thanks for your help.
burhou

Re: Car Key Security.

Postby t'otherone » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:59 am

Just get a non chipped key cut which you can take in the water lock your chipped key in the car.

Best going to an independent place. Some of the bigger chains wont cut them as they have had people come back saying that they wanted a chipped one etc.
I dont know how it works but I like it all the same!
t'otherone

Postby Black » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 pm

^^^ Thats it.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Biarritz Taxi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 pm

I do the same as above but also lock the electric key inside a metal box which I keep in the van. Just in case someone sees me lock the van with a non-chipped key.
Biarritz Airport Transfers
http://biarritzairporttransfers.com/
Biarritz Taxi

Postby Dantastic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:52 pm

I bought a waterproof plastic pouch with a neck draw string from northcore for £4. Its mega. Lock the car, stick it between your shoulder blades and you don't know its there until you take your suit off. Cheap safe and practical.
Dantastic

Postby Leedsol » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Used to have non chipped keys til I heard of a few vans being nicked in South Wales by thieves breaking in and using the key left behind to nick the van. Insurance didn't pay put due to reasonable care, term in most insurance policies. Had an aqua pac now now for a few years and take the leccy key out
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby defever » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Err. What about key pod?? Bit surprised it's not mentioned in the first instance... I have one and I know many who use it. Am I missing something obviously disadvantageous on using a key pod?
defever

Postby Leedsol » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:27 pm

If I was an insurance assessor I'd reject a claim if someone had a keypod advertising proximity of key to vehicle
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby topher » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Just use the wheel arch like every one else ...lol
topher

Postby majordom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:38 pm

if you have a key fob which cannot get wet then wrap in clingfilm or alu foil
and then in kitchen roll and then put in waterproof holder - even if it leaks you
should be OK
majordom

Postby Black » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

topher wrote:Just use the wheel arch like every one else ...lol

Actually a loose bit of trim works really well (providing it doesn't slide too far beyond finger reach) or a stash hole in a wall etc. as long as you remember where it is.
Black

Postby Chris F » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 pm

defever wrote:Err. What about key pod?? Bit surprised it's not mentioned in the first instance... I have one and I know many who use it. Am I missing something obviously disadvantageous on using a key pod?

Apparently piss easy to break open - like seconds if you know what you are doing.
Chris F

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 am

key pods are useless. it takes less than 10-15 mins to physically go through every single combination starting from 0000, because you can have your thumb constantly on the opening button and just cycle through the numbers

depends where you are surfing, but if its rest bay in S.Wales leaving a key in a keypod is an almost guaranteed stolen car
Vince Noir

Postby Matt Rose » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 am

Leedsol wrote:If I was an insurance assessor I'd reject a claim if someone had a keypod advertising proximity of key to vehicle

Exactly, they dont need much of an excuse not to pay out. Denko all the way.
Matt Rose

Postby Chris F » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 am

high risk strategy - do what i did and in your rush to get in the water at watergate forget to close the passenger door :oops: . People will assume you are nearby and leave the car alone.
Chris F

Postby defever » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:03 pm

oh wow. 10-15min? I guess if a thief is determined, 10-15min is plenty of time to break into any car with/out key. I feel insecure about using the key pod now.

non-chipped key then. Every day is a school day.
defever

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Chris F wrote:high risk strategy - do what i did and in your rush to get in the water at watergate forget to close the passenger door :oops: . People will assume you are nearby and leave the car alone.

I've done that so many times. Left the door wide open, left the window wide open, left the key in the door lock. Most times with my wallet laying in full view on my seat.

Had an aquapak for a while but it ended up having loads of small cracks in. Had an O&E waterproof pouch that the key punctured on 1st use. I've got a none 'leccy key cut. Not easy to find someone to do it for a VW. Think someone posted a link to an internet company who does them. Search for a similar thread i think.

If I forget my non 'leccy key I stash mine in a crisp or chocie bar wrapper and stuff it under a rock a few cars down.
Poo Stance

Postby Chris F » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:18 pm

I just lock van, hide key (aint saying where) and have a good quality steering wheel lock with a key that fits into pocket in leash. Probably still easy to break, but a second line of defence and a good visual deterrent.
Chris F

Postby Paul C » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Take a non surfing friend with you to look after your key, a dog lover for example they can walk the dog while you surf.
Probably not always possible for everyone.
Paul C

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Or ask a shop to look after for ya if there is one nearby. Or in the lifeguard hut. Or if your meeting a mate at the beach stash keys on each others cars. That'll confuse the thieves (until they press the blipper).
Poo Stance

Postby danny1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:48 pm

t'otherone wrote:Just get a non chipped key cut which you can take in the water lock your chipped key in the car.

Best going to an independent place. Some of the bigger chains wont cut them as they have had people come back saying that they wanted a chipped one etc.

what do you do about rust?? mine is so rusted it wont open lock!
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby t'otherone » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:28 pm

danny1 wrote:
t'otherone wrote:Just get a non chipped key cut which you can take in the water lock your chipped key in the car.

Always best just to dry it with your towel when you get out.. bit of wd40 now & then & I just scrape any excess off. Jobs a good un. Had mine for about 2 years now.

The guy that did mine only charged about £7 so more than happy to get another one done if it gets too shabby.
I dont know how it works but I like it all the same!
t'otherone

Postby Black » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:24 pm

t'otherone wrote: bit of wd40 now & then & I just scrape any excess off.

Yep, WD40 & wire brush does it.
Black

Postby philo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:31 am

Plugging this guy, best place to get one cut

http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/
philo

Postby Paul C » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 am

danny1 wrote:

Rub a bit of oil in it occasionally, I have had the same key for the last 5 years.
I also squirt a bit of oil in the lock occasionally to protect it from a salty key but I wipe the key off in the grass when I come out of the water before I put it in the lock.
Paul C

Postby philo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:25 pm

and dont make it really obvious you are getting in and out of your car/van with a non-elec key. I have left my non-elec key at home a few times by accident and the best place to "hide" it was the fuel cap cover. I have also locked my car with my car keys in the ignition for a full 4 hour surf too, whoops
philo

Postby dermo909 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:44 am

Paul C wrote:Take a non surfing friend with you to look after your key, a dog lover for example they can walk the dog while you surf.
Probably not always possible for everyone.

They can also take photos and video :-D
dermo909

Postby SurfOnYourBum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Vince Noir wrote:key pods are useless. it takes less than 10-15 mins to physically go through every single combination starting from 0000, because you can have your thumb constantly on the opening button and just cycle through the numbers

Or about 2 seconds with a coal chisel and a lump hammer (seen it done as a demonstration and those things just fly apart with a well places tap).

Non lekky key or aquapack all the way (I put my key in a baggy in the aqua pack though in case of any small leaks).
Sit Down and Shred!
SurfOnYourBum

Postby Chris F » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Can't you just put all your valuables in a small drybag and stash them in your kayak?
Chris F

Next

Return to General