Car Key Security.

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Car Key Security.

Postby Wilson987 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Guess I've just been lucky all along as I've left my door unlocked countless times and usually leave the key behind the wheel or up in the arch or in the spring plate. Also buried car keys in the sand with a rock above to find them again. :lol:

I don't like using the key pocket in my suit as I tied another knot in it one day instead of loosening it, and with hands like frozen mallets it took me aaaaaaages to get it off. :oops:
Wilson987

Postby swiggy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Whenever I lock my car (half the time), I leave the key under a rock. Maybe move away from pikeys?
swiggy

Postby SurfOnYourBum » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Chris F wrote:Can't you just put all your valuables in a small drybag and stash them in your kayak?

I could do but I don't like to in case I take a nasty swim and have to abandon my boat. While I would be gutted to loose my boat (it is insured though) I would be a hell of a lot more gutted to loose my boat, my wallet, my watch and my car keys. I would also have to make sure it is nice and snugg in there as I find it really off putting / distracting having something rattling about in my boat and I really do not find it any bother to take a key on the water in an aquapack.
Sit Down and Shred!
SurfOnYourBum

Postby Chris F » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Fairy nuff. Thought it might just be the one place where goating has an advantage over proper surfing :wink:
Chris F

Postby defever » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Just following up on the non-chipped keys...

I've been looking around a way to get a non-chipped (non-transponder) key for '99 Audi so I went to Timpson for an advice and they said Audi doesn't make non-chipped key, full stop. They also said that the lock on the doors aren't just a mechanical locking system and they also require chipped key to open and lock.

Is this true? I'm not so convinced. Is there a way to create a spare key what I can take in water or not?

Or is it going to be "key in waterproof pack around the neck" solution?

I'm sure there are handful of fellow wave riders with '90s Audi (or VW Audi Group) who thought of getting a non-chipped key... how do you deal with your keys?
defever

Postby Vince Noir » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:15 pm

cling film the fuck out of the key, put it in a plastic bag, then put it in the waterproof key neck thing.
Vince Noir

Postby defever » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:22 pm

Have you tried that on those cold winter days...?

Is this why I sometimes see a surfer next to his car faffing around for 30min trying to get to the mummified key?

Probably the best way to keep the key dry but I'm never good with cling films...
defever

Postby Black » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:31 pm

defever wrote:I'm never good with cling films...
You want to get that story off your chest, I know.
As for the key, try different key cutters and make sure they understand you just want the metal shape to shove in a lock, see who says "Ok mate, there you go", I've had varying responses in the past, not Audi though.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby mountain man » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:56 am

Trouble is, even the best waterproof bag/cling film etc will someday leak and if it's an electronic key like 99% are these days, you are fucked. Best to discreetly stash under rock etc away from car.
mountain man

Previous

Return to General