Persistent neck/shoulder problems...

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Persistent neck/shoulder problems...

Postby Leven » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:37 pm

So for a while now I've suffered from an on-going neck/shoulder injury.

Originally it started with really tight rotator cuffs, causing tension through my shoulders. That's kind of sorted out now, but the tightness, tension, and soreness has moved up to my traps and neck. Rotator cuffs feel fine. I can feel some knots etc in my traps, but can't seem to ever get rid of them. Do a lot of stretching and yoga already. For no reason I woke up yesterday and couldn't look up or right without pain!

Actually at a bit of a loss now as to what to do....any suggestions?!
Leven

Re: Persistent neck/shoulder problems...

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:02 pm

diclofenac sodium
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby rodent » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Get help, sounds like muscles/tendons on your shoulder and neck are out of alignment

May have to sell the boards to get treated :shock:
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:16 am

see a physio
Vince Noir

Postby Philshoz » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:57 am

Maybe an osteopath, works for me.

Stupid thought but possible.......have you been sitting in a draught??
Philshoz

Postby Leven » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:03 pm

I've seen all manner of physios, sports therapists, massage therapists, both on the NHS and privately. No one can really pinpoint the reason, and they all say "use it less"!!

No, no draughts though, although sleeping awkwardly did set it off this week!
Leven

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:00 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:diclofenac sodium

what he said ^^^

Sounds like what I had - called rye neck - 'kin murder but DS pills sorted it in 3 days.
ATTMFKH

Postby rodent » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Ya haven't mentioned ultrasound or MRI scans

Physio's etc can only help when they know what's wrong

Oh and any drugs ATTMFKH suggests may help :shock:

:-D
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Chris F » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:19 pm

I reckon unless you do any antagonistic exercises you have massive shoulder imbalances classic from surfing (and climbing in my case).

There must be dozens of sites, but I found these exercises really good to correct my posture.

http://theshortspan.com/features/injury/shoulder.htm

If you haven't seen a physio who gives you corrective actions, IMHO you haven't seen a decent one. Find a local sports physio, esp one who comes recommended by someone locally and is preferably a surfer too.
Chris F

Postby Black » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Leven wrote:No, no draughts though, although sleeping awkwardly did set it off this week!
Another long shot. Have you changed your pillow? I find thick pillows set my neck off and if I stay places with them, I go without. Might be worth trying a different thickness/type for a few weeks.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chris F » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:58 am

Conversely I usually sleep on my side and found a thick wool pillow really helped me with neck issues. Good point though.
Chris F

Postby Philshoz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:36 am

Nice to see sore necks, expensive number plates and road bikes are popular topics on here.. :lol:
Philshoz

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:24 am

Philshoz wrote:Nice to see sore necks, expensive number plates and road bikes are popular topics on here.. :lol:

shut it - I'm going surfing this afternoon :mrgreen: you will see a post in the Stoke thread entitled 'Kook Islands' cos I've not been in since Orkney at the end of June :-( :roll:
ATTMFKH

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:47 am

Leven, I feel your pain - I literally had to take 18 months off surfing with a neck / shoulder problem, and no doubt you are at your wits end.

First rule of self diagnosis, don't turn to forums - necks are complicated business and require professional diagnosis. If you're concerned get your GP to refer you for an x-ray, then an MRI. Get a referral for a Physio and if you can afford it go for a few sessions privately. Your problem sounds postural and may be a long standing issue underneath - get a proper diagnosis and you can fix yourself quicker.

There is light at the end of the tunnel but it may take a while to get there. Temporary relief with heat / icepacks or a tens machine for your shoulder. Accupunture can be good too. If you have nerve impingement then this will require specific rehabilitation. Drugs will help with any pain but not fix the problem. If you have an underlying issue or repeated postural strain then your condition will continue to flare up and get worse each time.

Good luck, and hope it eases for you
mister-griffster

Postby Best » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Chris F wrote:Conversely I usually sleep on my side and found a thick wool pillow really helped me with neck issues. Good point though.

If it's not that you engage in extreme exercises that cause massive shoulder imbalances, then I think it would be wise for you to try a new pillow and definitely a different thickness. As a health practitioner with vast experience in related issues, I usually recommend https://hovement.com/best-pillows-shoulder-pain/ pillows. Finding a good physio would also be a wise alternative.

Cheers!
Best

Postby Best » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Chris F wrote:Conversely I usually sleep on my side and found a thick wool pillow really helped me with neck issues. Good point though.

If it's not that you engage in extreme exercises that cause massive shoulder imbalances, then I think it would be wise for you to try a new pillow and definitely a different thickness. As a health practitioner with vast experience in related issues, I usually recommend https://hovement.com/best-pillows-shoulder-pain/ pillows. Finding a good physio would also be a wise alternative.

Cheers!
Best

Postby Chris F » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:44 pm

Spammer
Chris F

Postby JayP » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:39 pm

I wonder if these spammers realise that only about 6 people use this forum these days!
JayP

Postby Chris F » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:03 am

Probably not. Efforts best spent elsewhere I expect.
Chris F

Return to General