One more surfer coming your way

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

One more surfer coming your way

Postby notonyournelly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:46 am

Hi All,

New member just joined up. Introducing myself and asking for a bit of advice.

The family and I are heading back to Devon or Cornwall later this year from Cape Town. Our life more or less revolves around surfing and we hope to keep it that way after we return. Our oldest kid is always in the water and does OK competitively as well.

We are lucky to be reasonably flexible on location, but I will have to get up to London from time to time - so don't want to be further away than Newquay and do want good school options. Would love to know if people have any good advice on the best area to set up - ideally with a good choice of waves and access to less crowded spots with a bit of effort.

We're used to surfing reefs mostly around Cape Town - or lets say that's what we prefer to do anyway. I'm sure no one wants to tell me any secret spots and that's the way it should be, but can you at least let me know if there are some good breaks around if I go looking for them that are maybe a bit more fun / challenging than the beach breaks that are more well known?

Any advice you can give much appreciated. We get it that it's going to be cold and wet - Cape Town gets that way too!

Many thanks

N.o.y.n.
notonyournelly

Re: One more surfer coming your way

Postby Shiraz Jiwa » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Base your location on choice of school - most places in Cornwall and Devon should get you a great selection of breaks within a half hour or so drive), although Devon is wider meaning going from the North coast to the south coast can take a long time).

Will you be using a public school or paying for Private? If private, then Truro high school (as well as the seperate Truro school for girls) have a good reputation and they do bus runs from around the county.

If you're travelling up to London - then are you going by plane, train or car? If plane - then somewhere close to Newquay for a public flight (or a private airfield such as Bodmin etc. if you have your own plane/helicopter), or if by train then anywhere on the main line will do. If driving, again it doesn't make much difference - but you may prefer to be based closer to Devon then Cornwall if your driving commute is big.

In a decade or so, I suspect we will have self driving cars that will drop us off for a surf, and then park themselves on a residential road, and then warm up the car in time for when we come out of the surf - the tech is coming....
Never known to miss a marketing opportunity... After years in the wilderness, Sj, the harbinger of doom, Mr Entropy, the kiss of death, the swell killer, yes, the man formerly known as SJ, is back, cunningly disguised as Sj ! {Quote: Tony Plant - 2009}
Shiraz Jiwa

Postby Chris F » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:19 pm

Howzit Bru. You will have to get used to crowds, kak surf, and poeskoud water. SJ's advice is sound, just hope you aren't relying too heavily on rands to buy a property with nearly 20:1!!
Chris F

Postby thechimp » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:41 pm

wow, 20:1, must be the only currency not affected by brexit, maybe time to get a new Dave Stubbs (boards around R5000)
sorry back to thread,
All good advice from SJ, if you are happy with the local schools, living in Newquay would be my first choice, the kids would not have to rely on you for transport/weekends,
there is nothing better for a surf stoked kid to be able to walk/cycle and to meet up with your mates and go for a surf before or after school, ok for about 6 months a year on weekdays.
There is loads of new development around and in the Mount Wise area you are about equal distance from Fistral and the town beaches, yes, Newquay can be mayhem in summer with the stag/hens party scene but the suburban streets in this area are quiet.
My second choice would be Bude, as for secret spots, only semi secret left but walking the coast path finds them all.
thechimp

Postby notonyournelly » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:21 am

Many thanks for the solid advice.

That all seems to fit with what we have been broadly thinking. I'm going to be in the area next week checking out schools and will take it from there.

You will have to get used to crowds, kak surf, and poeskoud water.

wouldn't have it any other way.... at least there's no sharks right?

If you're travelling up to London - then are you going by plane, train or car? If plane - then somewhere close to Newquay for a public flight (or a private airfield such as Bodmin etc. if you have your own plane/helicopter), or if by train then anywhere on the main line will do. If driving, again it doesn't make much difference - but you may prefer to be based closer to Devon then Cornwall if your driving commute is big.

Ha ha - no private plane unfortunately - but always shocked to find the public flights are less than the train.

All good advice from SJ, if you are happy with the local schools, living in Newquay would be my first choice,
- more or less what we were thinking. Also thought about Croyde. Do the schools in Newquay have a good reputation? On paper at last they look pretty good.

Thanks again - see you in the water..
notonyournelly

Postby thechimp » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:57 am

Kids of friends who went to Tretherras all done well, would be great living in Croyde but check
https://new.devon.gov.uk/educationandfa ... ated-areas
It may of changed now but i was offered a transfer to Ilfracombe way back in the eighties, at the time just did'nt like the place.
thechimp

Postby Black » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:15 am

thechimp wrote:Kids of friends who went to Tretherras all done well,
My son went and I wasn't impressed except in their box ticking.

If you live in Devon you'll save 2 hours on your commute to London. Also more surf options than Newquay.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Shiraz Jiwa » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:59 pm

notonyournelly wrote:Many thanks for the solid advice.

That all seems to fit with what we have been broadly thinking. I'm going to be in the area next week checking out schools and will take it from there.

Thanks again - see you in the water..

What are you and your family after in terms of where you want to live?
Do you want to be in the midst of the action in a busy (noisy) summer resort, or do you prefer something more tranquil?
Do you want a public school or a private school?
Do you want to do your occasional London commute by plane (note the airports that you can get to from Newquay) or car or train?
Where will you as a family be working the majority of the time?
What's your approximate budget for a house purchase, or your budget for renting?
Did you want a flat/apartment, or a house?

Genuinely, I don't think you'd go far wrong with where you are in Devon and Cornwall - all are within relatively easy reach of the surf, however some locations are nicer than others - depending what your preferences are for you and your family.
Never known to miss a marketing opportunity... After years in the wilderness, Sj, the harbinger of doom, Mr Entropy, the kiss of death, the swell killer, yes, the man formerly known as SJ, is back, cunningly disguised as Sj ! {Quote: Tony Plant - 2009}
Shiraz Jiwa

Return to General