Surf forecasting sites

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Surf forecasting sites

Postby Leven » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:55 pm

What do people use? Apart from MSW?

I like the look of this one (forecast and swell chart on the same page), but don't know which one it is....

https://www.facebook.com/secretspotsurf ... =3&theater
Leven

Re: Surf forecasting sites

Postby Chris F » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:48 am

I've seen that before, but can't remember which. I initially thought it might be the metcheck one, but it's not, it's just terrible.

http://www.metcheck.com/HOBBIES/surfing ... ionID=3119
Chris F

Postby seenit » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:33 am

Windguru, magicseaweed and the Channel Lightship wave buoy and its predictive element and then wind on the day via the local Met office weather station. I find that numerically MSW isn't accurate but it's consistent so I can read between the lines and work out what's happening. Wind is a huge factor here and if there's enough of it, given the right tide there will be somewhere on. Something I have found interesting is that angle is so important here, looking at historical data, if the angle is right then it is as good here as it is on the north coast of Devon and Cornwall, but any adjustment to the ideal angle reduces what we get a lot. Luckily more of the interesting and better quality waves get going when the conditions are not the classic groundswell/offshore combo. Although some of that would be nice. WSW pretty much the devil wind here as it blows most places out and doesn't get anywhere exciting going
seenit

Postby Shiraz Jiwa » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:00 am

There are two main 'data providers' - NOAA/America and ECMWF/Europeans.

From what I understand, the NOAA data is freely available due to the USA rules. It's probably an over generalisation but I believe sites like MSW/Windguru/metcheck etc all run off the same NOAA data sets/runs with the files they can grab - however it's down to the formulas etc they use in the background and the front end mechanism on how they display it that differs.

The ECMWF data is not available freely - apart from the charts they publish on the site. However there are commercial/private organisations that pay for access to this data - including wave data - that could be used to produce a forecasting model. This data does not exist in the general public domain at the moment as far as I know.

Also with changes in technology and society, there are new forecast/data sets emerging - but this may not be for some years yet until it becomes financially viable to bring it to market.
Never known to miss a marketing opportunity... After years in the wilderness, Sj, the harbinger of doom, Mr Entropy, the kiss of death, the swell killer, yes, the man formerly known as SJ, is back, cunningly disguised as Sj ! {Quote: Tony Plant - 2009}
Shiraz Jiwa

Postby Leedsol » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:32 pm

It's this one Leven. Been going years but the UI is much better now.

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Cay ... st/six_day
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Return to General