Marketing hype and unfit brits

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Marketing hype and unfit brits

Postby insideout » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 am

I see half of Devon has fallen for the 'ride it one ft smaller and half the volume of your regular shortboard' videos on YouTube.

You don't look cool flapping about (struggling to catch a wave) on your tomohawk slater designs Omni square tail square nose triple channel macdonalds tray surfboard.
insideout

Re: Marketing hype and unfit brits

Postby Vince Noir » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:26 pm

nothing new, been like that for years.
Vince Noir

Postby Chris F » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Yep, better to be an unfit brit on a longboard!
Chris F

Postby Leven » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Surfed with the Moroccan No1 a couple of years ago, and he commented how pretty much every British surfer out there surfs on under volumed board. He couldn't understand it, and reckoned most Brits by far needed more foam. And that was from a guy that beat Dorian and Fanning at Pipe.

Specifically, this is just the new version of the 80's toothpick shortboard. The pros make it look good, so everyone wants one!
Leven

Postby Leven » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Also, this is a good read. I reckon most of us are close to being a "big guy"....

http://www.surfline.com/blogs/talking-d ... hig_27888/
Leven

Postby Philshoz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:46 am

Vince Noir wrote:nothing new, been like that for years.

^^ Agree Vince, remember everyone trying to surf Slater inspired thin, needle nosed boards.. :roll:
Philshoz

Postby russneversleeps » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:57 am

Philshoz wrote:
Vince Noir wrote:nothing new, been like that for years.

^^ Agree Vince, remember everyone trying to surf Slater inspired thin, needle nosed boards.. :roll:

Yep. That was when anyone one an "old man's board" basically had the line up to themselves.
russneversleeps

Postby Leedsol » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:40 pm

Leven wrote:Surfed with the Moroccan No1 a couple of years ago, and he commented how pretty much every British surfer out there surfs on under volumed board. He couldn't understand it, and reckoned most Brits by far needed more foam. And that was from a guy that beat Dorian and Fanning at Pipe.

Specifically, this is just the new version of the 80's toothpick shortboard. The pros make it look good, so everyone wants one!

Good read that Rusty article. Makes me feel better at the age of 45 riding my 6'5 bonzer and a 6'0 LSD fish with a lovely trailer fin. The 6'0 is a lot of fun.

I surfed with Roger from Boardshop in Portugal last month (see him a bit over there) and he surfed really well on a 5`6 Firewire Tomo design and he's 45 too.
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby Pterodroma » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:52 pm

I am perfectly happy watching the M5/M4 warriors struggle to get waves all weekend during a good weather/swell combo while I glide into set wave after set wave on my perfectly sized Tomoteatray thanks :lol:
Pterodroma

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:28 pm

quite happy to watch muppets on *whatever the "in" brand is right now* not catch wave after wave while im still on a 6'4 speed dialler with 3 inches of foam in the middle...catches almost anything
Vince Noir

Postby Philshoz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:51 am

Vince Noir wrote:quite happy to watch muppets on *whatever the "in" brand is right now* not catch wave after wave while im still on a 6'4 speed dialler with 3 inches of foam in the middle...catches almost anything

Very happy on my Bing Swee'Pea 6'4", low rocker, wide tail, catches anything :-D
Philshoz

Postby Chris F » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:26 am

Vince Noir wrote:quite happy to watch muppets on *whatever the "in" brand is right now* not catch wave after wave while im still on a 6'4 speed dialler with 3 inches of foam in the middle...catches almost anything

You are firmly in the "big guy" category though.
Chris F

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:47 am

being a little guy (5'7ish and 10 stone) I find the opposite problem. I struggle to find boards that suit my style of surfing that are small enough and low volume. fine with bigger boards that can't be duckdived but I don't take out my 5'8 egg in anything overhead because it can't be duckdived very deep at all. might be why big guys are riding little boards, makes paddling out dead easy

that being said I broke a board on a recent trip across australia and ended up borrowing my girlfriend's board for the rest of the trip and it was 28L, rather than my standard 23-25 and it was night and day in how easily it caught waves, and still felt normal the rest of the time
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:46 pm

There's nothing wrong with not being able to duckdive. Show me a board that I can easily duckdive and I'll show you one with which my wave catching plummets. Used to help out at a surfshop aeons ago and my heart would sink when customers would come in asking for their first "duckdiveable" board. My advice that it should come as part and parcel of their board as their surfing progressed and not be too much of a goal in itself always fell on deaf ears.
Kenny

Postby Philshoz » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Duck diving is all about technique, I can sink my Bing 38ltrs under anything. Sometimes it all goes horribly wrong but my hit rate is very high.
Philshoz

Postby mils » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:30 am

I made a mistake in the other direction this week. Too lazy to check the surf properly and assumed it was waist to head high at best. Took my rarely used 7'6" mid length to a wedging and definitely overhead set up. Could not take the drop properly as the board wouldn't fit into the wave face! Pearled twice and then had to settle for the smaller less critical waves.Most embarrassing :oops:
Went back the next day on my Speed Dialler. Perfect session.
Right board for the right wave once you have a quiver of sorts.

Talking of undersized boards, over 20 years ago in the Canaries the Saffas were laughing at the number of UK semi-guns getting snapped at Lobos. Most were just 2 1/4" thick at best...
mils

Postby mils » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:47 am

On a more general and amusing point

https://surfeuropemag.com/features/news ... hness.html

Apologies if it's been posted before, but it sums up the 'industry' nicely
mils

Postby scharl » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:52 pm

'Foam is your friend' that's what i tell everyone buying a board
scharl

Postby Bobby Nguyen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:40 pm

In California other surfer all the time make fun with me, tell me I'm too much volume and say Bobby big board. One time at jetty in OB they call names and make me get out water, they drop in every wave I take. I like very much have board that make me float good, make it easier to find the wave.

I not enjoy what they call 'potatoe chip'...I say best surfer is one with most fun! To have fun you need to find the wave!
Bobby Nguyen

Postby tootes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:26 pm

I went for a walk with the family on one of the most popular surf beaches here this weekend. Its a spot I rarely surf as I always thinks it's a bit shit. Hark at me I have turned into a spot snob. Anyway the waves were very average at best but still 50% were carrying out short boards. Surprise surprise no one was catching waves on them. The std in our area is average at best, and although there are some great surfers about most of the rest of us need the extra to live with our ability but also the waves we get served.

I took my 6.3 quad out today and whilst I was catching waves no probs the conditions still leant to my carpet and it wasn't long before I switched.

I have to admit when I was starting out getting to a short board was the be all and end all to my surfing. I surfed a narrow 6.4 and used to think that my friend totherone was holding back his surfing by always using his 7.0. Well on a whim I bought that board cheap off him and 10 years on I still regularly use it - I have spent 8 hours on it this weekend!! had it out on the reef today (head high ish) and it was fantastic.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Return to General