Rarely....

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Rarely....

Postby Leven » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Leven

Re: Rarely....

Postby Black » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:33 pm

I think the person who penned that used to post on here....

There was a lot said in there - have you got any particular tripey points of interest?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Leven » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Well, I read it earlier, but off the top of my head....

1. Ex pros criticising the big surf companies "selling out", when they were sponsored and paid to travel by them. Where did they think the money came from to pay for their trucks, boards, plane tickets etc.
2. All the stuff about the state of youth surfing. They've never had it so good. Easy transport links, dirt cheap flights all over the world, wetsuit tech meaning they can surf all day, waves of all types across the country, boards readily available etc. If the UK doesn't produce any top class competitive surfers, isn't that more to do with the total lack of appetite to put the hard yards in rather than lack of opportunity? There's a host of names there who, if we're being honest, haven't achieved a whole lot competitively. How do they think Russ Winter did it? He was hungry, trained hard, worked his ass off and made sacrifices.
3. The total irony about the "we're part of a club wearing the same t-shirts" and "we can't keep stock on the shelves in summer". What happens to an exclusive club when you invite anyone in? You can't have your cake and eat it.
4. The total irony of "the too cool for school beard wearing hipster movement" from a bloke with a massive beard dressed like a hipster in a black and white photo...
5. The "I couldn't go to the championships because I couldn't afford it". Well, work your ass off and save like mad. (In fairness, I don't know if he did or not. It's more the "Sport England should pay for us to go" part that irritated me. Why should they? Work two jobs and save your ass off. You'd know maybe a year/18months ahead that you're likely to be going?). Simple fact is that pretty much every top class athlete is talented (obviously), but also absolutely works harder than the next guy. You think Kelly has been as good as he has for as long as he has through talent alone?

It's probably written to cause a bit of a stir, but for me it just smacks of bring back the good old days for a group of guys who benefitted massively from the movement of surfing from underground to mainstream.
Leven

Postby Leven » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:38 pm

PS. Quite prepared to get flogged on this!
Leven

Postby JayP » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:47 pm

I agree and I haven't even read it !

I saw the article promoted on fb. The headline bored me already ....."the state of British surfing".
The state is this -
1. Are there waves at the mo?
2. Can you find relatively empty waves?

Aa long as the answer to those 2 things is yes the rest is bullshit.
JayP

Postby JayP » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 pm

(For me anyway)
JayP

Postby Black » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:33 pm

I was just interested what you thought Leven.
3 I don't understand this one.
4 He's definitely not a hipster!
5 I think they are just saying the playing field isn't level for UK wannabe pro as they don't get the same support as other places/europeans.

JayP
1 There are no waves which is why a conversation may be starting.....
2 See above!
Black

Postby thechimp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:19 am

“I don’t think there’s a pathway now for British kids to be a professional surfer.”
– Nigel Semmens

..........there is'nt, and i don't think there ever will be in the UK.

'Most surfers could'nt care less about the WCT or British tour',.....another true statement, other than that levens right.

I was at that contest when rabbit, shaun and co put on a great show prior to the near flat final, and another year, the one where Horan put a towel over his secret 'winged keel', the late 'chops' said to me, 'In a few years you will curse this circus coming to town', How true was that, the big league then ASP, only lasted a few years, and the contest, relagated to WQS equivalent then just went downhill, and the reason to stay out of Newquay in August.
thechimp

Postby Leven » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:22 am

Black wrote:I was just interested what you thought Leven.
3 I don't understand this one.
4 He's definitely not a hipster!
5 I think they are just saying the playing field isn't level for UK wannabe pro as they don't get the same support as other places/europeans.

JayP
1 There are no waves which is why a conversation may be starting.....
2 See above!

3. Well, you can't say something is exclusive and a cool club, and then sell stuff to anyone who wants to be part of that club. If people wanted surfing to remain out of the public eye, they shouldn't have been flogging t shorts to tourists in Newquay!
4. Maybe not, but it's a bit rich criticising people growing beards to be cool, when he's sat there with a big beard and trucker cap...
5. Again, maybe not, but boo hoo. That's the same in every sport. You think Andy Murray gets the same support as up and coming US tennis players? Do you think the Brazilians get anywhere near the level of money/sponsorship that Brits do?

The whole thing for me just comes across as real whiney. Where are the solutions? What are they doing about it? It's not until the end that they do anything except say "we need more money"....
Leven

Postby Black » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:56 am

3 I thought they were two different points being made but maybe I read/remembered it wrong.
4 Trucker cap or baseball cap? You're starting to convince me. Maybe I don't see enough hipster photos to recognise one. :-)
5 Money & effort has given us one of the top athletics team in the world, it does work when you get it right. If they are not doing something to make that happen then they are not doing their jobs right. NS seems to be making some efforts but if you say it'll never happen then it never will.

I'm very ambivalent about pro surfing in the uk. Selfishly I'd rather it was all low key and we just go surf and the crowds die off.
I see (as we probably all do) some superb uk surfers but don't know why they aren't living off it. Is it just because they aren't hungry enough or got the right attitude?

Hopefully we'll get some swell later in the week and I can show off my mediocrity. :-D
Black

Postby Leven » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:28 pm

3. Yeah, I think they were two different points, they're just intrinsically linked. If you want to keep "the scene pure", you can't make money selling t shirts to anyone who wants one!
4. I'm sure he's not a full on hipster, just made me laugh when he's having a go at people with a beard because it's cool! I'm pretty sure he was clean shaven until it became cool to have a beard....
5. Thing is, that's the GB team. There is no GB team in surfing really. There's Scottish, Welsh, English teams. If you can't even get them to see eye to eye, what hope have you got? For me, the big issue with competitive surfing in the UK is that the comps are generally held in summer...when it's crap! Hold them through winter (it's not that cold), and let people compete in good waves for once. Having a WQS in Newquay in August is ludicrous. It's got nothing to do with surfing, it's all about money.
Leven

Postby Black » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:21 pm

4 His beard randomly comes and goes over time, its not just a recent thing.
5 Agree with most of that. The sponsors have to be happy too though, money is part of the equation.
Black

Postby Leven » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm

5. Isn't that the point though? It's got nothing to do with surfing, and everything to do with selling product.

Surfing is like sex....it sells!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHANEL-Surfboar ... 0558146015
Leven

Postby Black » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:47 pm

Leven wrote:5. Isn't that the point though? It's got nothing to do with surfing, and everything to do with selling product.

Surfing is like sex....it sells!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHANEL-Surfboar ... 0558146015
Pro surfing has everything to do with money, surely that's why it exists?
Black

Postby Philshoz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Step away Black, you are just winding yourself up because it's flat.
Philshoz

Postby Black » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 pm

Philshoz wrote:Step away Black, you are just winding yourself up because it's flat.
The lack of waves are certainly noticeable in the black household! Its winter, what's happened?
Black

Postby Leven » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:43 am

Black wrote:
Philshoz wrote:Step away Black, you are just winding yourself up because it's flat.
The lack of waves are certainly noticeable in the black household! Its winter, what's happened?

Been flat for a couple of weeks eh?

Pro surfing is all about money and selling product, which makes it laughable that some pro surfers are criticising it! Generally, sponsors don't really care about waves, they care about how many t-shirts get sold, and how much press coverage they get.

On the kids subject, this is an interesting watch....

http://mycn2.com/cn2-sports/uofl-basket ... th-contest
Leven

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:55 pm

.......... all of the high level UK surfers go abroad for a reason
Vince Noir

Postby r896neo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 am

There is a complete lack of young surfers at my local breaks, Majority seem to be 30's and 40's

I think in the wider sense young people are more inclined to start a surfing lifestyle blog and film themselves all day long as a way to make a living from surfing than become a competitive surfer.

They are not out there surfing because they are sitting watching how many likes and subscribers they have...
r896neo

Postby mountain man » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Yeah but high level UK standard surfers are two a penny in Aus, US, France, Portugal etc etc. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better surfers around the world and with a diminishing budget UK surfers are not going to make a living unless they get on WCT or similar.
mountain man

Postby Leven » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Thing is though, I still reckon it's do-able if you're good enough. I know guys who winter in Hawaii/Central America....Work their ass off all summer to pay for it. If an 18 year old is good enough, what stops them doing the same?
Leven

Postby Philchapman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:48 am

Maybe all this talk of the need for more funding/organisation just comes down to surfers not wanting to have to get 'real jobs', in the real (outside of surfing) world?

And who can blame them?
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Return to General