Diplock quad ply fins advice please?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Diplock quad ply fins advice please?

Postby JayP » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm getting a quad shaped for me by Bro and he has suggested doing ply fins. Anyone had any good or bad experiences with them? I like the idea of having them in the board permanently so I never have to be concerened about having them or having a fin key or the wrong fins in etc. I like the lightness of the ply and the look but I'm nervous about the positioning. If they are slightly out then it surely affects the board alot. I'm sure he knows what he's doing but I'm still unsure and as I have a few sets of decent lokbox quads I'm leaning towards just staying with the lokbox option. Any advice one way or t'other ?
JayP

Re: Diplock quad ply fins advice please?

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 pm

a good shaper will be able to design the fins perfectly for the board and position them right, just have a conversation with him about what you want/expect, how you surf and what you'll be surfing in. you'll end up with a board and fin set that works together far more than if you were to put just any old fins in.
the only thing is if you intend on travelling with the board it gets tricky...
either way you'll be happy
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Vince Noir » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Tomdiddlybomb wrote: fin set that works together far more than if you were to put just any old fins in.

thats not really what hes asking.

Even if the fins are slightly out, im sure youll hardly notice it. FCS, lokbox, whatever fins they are, they never fit into the boxes perfectly. ive never surfed and thought "this doesnt quite feel right" and found one fin was few mm forward of another.
Vince Noir

Postby JayP » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks people. All good points. Yes I thought that about the positioning. Lokbox you can very easily set them out of line and I have in the past and it hasnt made any noticeable difference to me so I'm probably being petty but you know what its like when you're spending hard earned cash on a new board. Shit gets pedantic!
JayP

Postby Black » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Let him know what you want to do with the board as this could affect the positioning. Or as I did today when buying fins and asked what I wanted from them - "just to surf thanks!" If you've got a board with a quad setup you like then why not show him and say this is the kind of positioning I want.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby JayP » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Yep I want to surf it ! Lol. Done that. Feel better about it now and gone ply. Thanks for some sensible advice people.
JayP

Return to General