Box for shipping boards abroad.

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Box for shipping boards abroad.

Postby elhornet » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Hey all,
I need to ship about 5 boards and am looking for a solution to package them.
The largest one is 6'10 and some of them have glass on fins.
I was thinking a cardboard coffin might even work but can't find ones that long.

Any ideas?
elhornet

Re: Box for shipping boards abroad.

Postby Black » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Make one bespoke from ply with pine framework?
Never growing old together...
Black

Re: Box for shipping boards abroad.

Postby thechimp » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:02 am

Are they going air freight? if so above although strong, may be too heavy and costly.
Go to a surfshop that imports boards, most boards come in containers but are packed individually in boxes, ask for some old boxes, even better try a SUPB shop,
adapt, cut to size, maybe even using a layer of cardboard between each board, and use that strong light shiny tape. The old surftechs used to be boxed with a rail packing exactly matching the rails from nose to tail made of polystyrene.
When making the box , fold rather than tape edges using an plank as a straight edge, in each corner inside the box make up four vee shaped pieces with another strip at 45 deg to make each corner rigid.
I made a few boxes to ship some odd sized stuff for my daughter, if all else fails try contacting John Mason (international shipping) and find out who makes their boxes.
thechimp

Return to General