Stoke surf today!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Stoke surf today!

Postby zboy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 pm

snagged a few not great, but a surf was had. monday , tuesday lookin epic here in eire :-D :-)
zboy

Postby briggfoot » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Ferral wrote:so much fun today. 2-3ft glassy sunny beach break. weirdly only a couple of others out along the whole beach. Not pumping by any stretch by I gorged myself for three hours :-D

Had wave similar experience, but the water was RAMMED! Must have been 25+ SUP's alone.
Everyone and his dog turned up expecting big tings, but it was a bit smaller than expected. Most had left the water by 12ish, when it got quite nice for an hour or so, then it died off on the approach to high.

Still had a couple of minutes silence at 11:11.
briggfoot

Postby dermo909 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Great surf Sat evening as the sun was going down. Only about 5/6 of us out in glassy 2ft. Needless to say, the log got its fair share of perfect waves :-D

Dont you just love sunset surfs? My local beach faces SW so when the sun is setting, the light comes through the back of the wave. Its like surfing in liquid gold!
dermo909

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:29 pm

had to pull a few strokes to get in today so to be kiss kiss kiss kissing along a wave on my log with my hand in the face gave me that inner glow 8)

young Harkii snagged a few beauties as well.

got out just before we were mugged by darkness at 4pm :shock:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby zboy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 pm

very solid to 2day here in eire, evening glass off was the best time out on me gun trying to snagg a few. tomorrow lookin very very good 3 time plus overhead :-) :shock:
zboy

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Was a nice manageable size here this moring, but think that swell is going to hit this afternoon....

Good fun earlier, though.
Archy_is_God

Postby makkattack » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:30 pm

It's weeks like this that make unemployment a good look!

Too much fun to be had out there!! :-D
makkattack

Postby KyleEvans » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Gutted that I'm not at Thurso East this week!
KyleEvans

Postby buzyg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 pm

North Cornwall going off again today. Epic clean 6-9 ft sets rolling through at Widemouth bay Bude, all after noon. A gentle off shore holding them up to give some classic double over head plus faces. Totaly stoked, totaly worth taking the afternoon off and driving 100 miles. To top it all off, what a sunset. Now wrecked and glad it's not that size tommorow. :-D
buzyg

Postby briggfoot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 pm

buzyg wrote:North Cornwall going off again today. Epic clean 6-9 ft sets rolling through at Widemouth bay Bude, all after noon. A gentle off shore holding them up to give some classic double over head plus faces. Totaly stoked, totaly worth taking the afternoon off and driving 100 miles. To top it all off, what a sunset. Now wrecked and glad it's not that size tommorow. :-D

What a day.
I started down South this morning and it was well over-head and barrelling at a spot near Redruth, which I stayed well clear of -...... so did everyone else by the look of things as there was only a couple of spongers out.
But I did get a photo:

Worked my way up the coast covering 70 miles till I found somewhere of a managable size for my skill level, which turned out to be Newquay bay, (cliche/cheesy I know,) and stayed there most of the afternoon till it started getting sloppy approaching high. Had some sweet rides and got my confidence right up.
To balance this out, I then walked over to Fistral and got nailed for an hour or so trying to paddle out. Haha
Looked sweet though for the guys who were out back, and there was a contest on.

Cracking weather to boot, I caught the sun a bit which may present some problems tomorrow when I rock up at work with a prominent wet-suit tan - (hands and from the neck up only,) as I pulled a 'sicky' to have today off... . :? :lol:
briggfoot

Postby briggfoot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:46 pm

On another note, did anyone else who was near Newquay harbour this afternoon see the elderly woman who must EASILY have been in her 80's or probably even 90's, wearing the red helmet?!

Honestly she looked as though she'd walked with dinosaurs, but caught some lovely long lefts and rights and was one of the better surfers out there (and it was busy today.)

Inspiration to say the least.
briggfoot

Postby Philshoz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:47 am

KyleEvans wrote:Gutted that I'm not at Thurso East this week!

Why Kyle?
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby WP101 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 am

KyleEvans wrote:Gutted that I'm not at Thurso East this week!
the place is a fekkin circus these days
WP101

Postby smelly skater » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Couple of great surfs yest and today even dropped in on archy which made my day :wink: :lol: :lol: :)
smelly skater

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Did you? I didn't even notice, must have been going too fast...! :lol:

Loving the Mushy P, Bro is a clever man
Archy_is_God

Postby zboy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Yesterday very solid today not great wind being a real killer tomorrow lookin good again yippee
zboy

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Had a right result last night aprez surf. Driving home through Braunton and my car decides it don't wanna go back just yet. So it throws a load of lights on on the dash and demands I stop asap. Long story short, the alternator had packed in. Along comes Mr RAC and replaces it FOC, says it's cheaper for them to do that than pay the £600+ for a tow truck home. Happy Dayz. That alternator was gonna go anyway at somepoint. Probably costing me much more to fix than I forked out going surfing for two days. So in the end I think I've saved some wonga and the RAC has inadvertently paid for me to go surfing. schwweeet :-D

Pity I sucked ass as surfing.

Borrowed my mates 6'0 Luke Young Robot for a few waves at Saunton... OK why would you want to shortboard at Saunton you may ask... but it actually got into waves super easy. Just dip the head and roll on in. The concave on the bottom was mental and I've gotta say I'm super impressed with it based on the few waves I had. Johnny, you ever want to shift that board on then maybe I'm ya man :D

Hope everyone else who got some of this swell was suitably stokified.
Poo Stance

Postby Vince Noir » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:25 pm

i have dixies old slack/robot model with a diamond tail, fairly flat rocker through the middle. its my go to board. ill take it out in 2ft mush or 6ft offshore and its all good. bullet proof too.

saunton though ? :lol:
Vince Noir

Postby harkii » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:46 pm

ahhhh secret spots :wink: two in the water (Me n attmfkh) :mrgreen: STOKED wiff the surf!!!
harkii

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:25 pm

mechanical post-card rights in the sunshine off mysto reef .................... It's My Island :-) :-)
ATTMFKH

Postby Philshoz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:34 am

ATTMFKH wrote:mechanical post-card rights in the sunshine off mysto reef .................... It's My Island :-) :-)

Fernando's.....?
Philshoz

Postby Black » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Fistral had some sweet waves today once you got used to the idea they would trundle on another ten yards before they broke. A sunny, mellow and mostly enjoyable surf I've had for a while. Had the pleasure of Peteuk's company too! :-)
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Philshoz wrote:
ATTMFKH wrote:mechanical post-card rights in the sunshine off mysto reef .................... It's My Island :-) :-)

Fernando's.....?

The Janitor's :wink:
ATTMFKH

Postby smelly skater » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 pm

:-D :-D :-D :-D thats all :wink: :-D
smelly skater

Postby Craivold » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Philshoz wrote:

Fernando's.....?

haaha you get ITV where you are then Phil? Just returned from Fernando's myself - didn't see Paddy there though...
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby Philshoz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Craivold wrote:
Philshoz wrote:

Fernando's.....?

haaha you get ITV where you are then Phil? Just returned from Fernando's myself - didn't see Paddy there though...

Full freesat package, for what it's worth!!!
Interesting, you often see a decent wave on Take Me Out
Philshoz

Postby briggfoot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Black wrote:Fistral had some sweet waves today once you got used to the idea they would trundle on another ten yards before they broke. A sunny, mellow and mostly enjoyable surf I've had for a while. Had the pleasure of Peteuk's company too! :-)

Was the contest on there still? We had a look at it but anticipated it would get turbo-busy being a sunny sunday with swell, so went elsewhere.
Had some nice rides on Sunday, my best ones yet working on my back-hand, getting some semi-decent bottom turns in there and a few little turns going up and down the face, stoked at the moment.
briggfoot

Postby Black » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 pm

briggfoot wrote:Was the contest on there still? We had a look at it but anticipated it would get turbo-busy being a sunny sunday with swell, so went elsewhere.
Had some nice rides on Sunday, my best ones yet working on my back-hand, getting some semi-decent bottom turns in there and a few little turns going up and down the face, stoked at the moment.

Yes the contest was on but the place wasn't as bad as I thought it would be due to forecast/comp/sun. Had to shout 3 people off dropping in on one wave. Another I had to take evasive action to avoid running someone over.
And yes I also had to pull off a wave when a guy came ripping it up behind me. :lol:
That all makes it sound worse than it was though. :-)
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Had a little tube at a normally tubeless spot before work this morning :2d
Archy_is_God

Postby zboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:57 pm

the only tube i had today was a tube of smarties :-D :-)
zboy

PreviousNext

Return to General