Backhand bottom turns

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Postby CRISPY » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:58 pm

I often lose too much power by overcranking the bottom turn

But at least you stayed on the board. That's basically the problem I'm having. Yeah I can bottom turn backhand ok, but it's when I want to go out on the flats a bit and give some it some more beans that I'm falling. The inside rail just kind of pops out and I'm off.

Anyway, enough talk now. I'm going to surf my backhand as much as poss and get really compressed for the next few sessions.
.... .- / .... .- / .. / -.-. .- -. - / -... . .-.. .. . ...- . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / ... .- -.. / . -. --- ..- --. .... / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ...
http://www.jokeronline.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/JOKER/10652956154
CRISPY

Postby Matteeboy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:06 pm

I think your plan is best - Just surf backhand as much as possible.
I've always been weaker on my backhand so am catching as many lefts as possible.
Surfing Raglan was very handy for rapid improvement but still a bit of a backhand spacker.

You basically have a greater moment of turning force (???!!) backhand but this is slightly marred by a greater possibility of stalling and cocking up - Surfing smoothly backhand is a tricky business.
Something I found handy was surfing a bigger board (dare I say it, maybe even a LONG board...!) on smaller days so you are less likely to stall and more capable of "gliding"
Sod the internet. See you in the water.
Matteeboy

Postby mal-nourished » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:03 pm

One of the things i have noticed a lot is a lot of people do theyre bottom turn long before they reach the trough or try turning straight from take-off without having achieved any speed or drive ........sometimes its worth delaying your bottomturn to the last possible moment and waiting for the wave to take proper shape and then adjusting your focus and projection to where the next powersource is much of surfing is decision making and speed of thought.....rather than trying a longboard my advice is try a nice simple rounded pin single fin ....[medium length].... :shock:
mal-nourished

Postby Alwayzthekook » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:00 pm

Valid post Mr Mal-nourished :D

I'd love a pintailed single-fin 8) 8) 8) 8)
Alwayzthekook

Postby mal-nourished » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:46 pm

Anyone who does fancy a single fin you wanna try do a bit of research and look at the early al merrick boards he was making for tom curren still in my eyes one of the purist surfers of the last 40 yrs .....having said that every board has merit if surfed the way they should be and a good shaper by rights can produce the right euipment be it one-to five fin....[i would love to be single again at times but im happily marriedto my bonzer5fin and my 2 plus 1 longboard..]but i still have a eye on whats new... :? :?
mal-nourished

Postby thedeadly » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:56 am

rather than trying a longboard my advice is try a nice simple rounded pin single fin

or even better an old retro fish 2x nice simple rounded pin single fins - one for each side :lol: :lol:
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby Alwayzthekook » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:13 am

Yeah, but those pintailed single-fins would just style-it on short bowly shoulders,... & mush 8)
Alwayzthekook

Postby Matt Rose » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:37 pm

Kookbarge wrote:Cannot help you on this one as I cannot stand up yet, been trying 12 years but to no avail. :?

Im pissed its Easter :lol:
Matt Rose

Postby weaver » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:44 pm

So much good advice on this thread. I'm a regular footed natural backhander. I'm struggling with forehand so I tried to deconstruct my pop and turn. The pop was'nt a problem, I corkscrew to the left because I'm pushing hard from the left shoulder in order to get my front foot forward. The turn, until the lightbulb came on, was'nt so easy. I realised that when moving slowly (relatively) I use the rail to turn. Putting heel weight on means my knees are thrown in the opposite direction ie forward so upper body weight is shifted backward, balance is maintained without Gforce and the rail does'nt dig in. Trying for forehand, I can't compensate for the toe weight by using my knees (they don't bend backwards funnily enough) so the weight shift has to be a series of small corrections in order to maintain balance and prevent the rail digging. If I can get up some speed and surf off the back foot then the problems not so apparent. All in all, thank's to the author and all who replied with such a wealth of information. Sorry if I droned on but it's still flat and I've been in the garden all day................
Speed of a racehorse, strength of a carthorse, brains of a rocking horse.
weaver

Postby thatissognarly » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:33 pm

im the same as weaver, sort of cured it though, went to tobago and surfed the right reef over there, which meant i had to turn on my forehand, at beachies i always used to want to go left...th easiest way to do that is grab your rail i think, although looks like ur trying to get barreled all the time
thatissognarly

Postby surferjak » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:44 pm

thatissognarly wrote:im the same as weaver, sort of cured it though, went to tobago and surfed the right reef over there, which meant i had to turn on my forehand, at beachies i always used to want to go left...th easiest way to do that is grab your rail i think, although looks like ur trying to get barreled all the time

has anyone seen a blond boy down chally do this ?? ( its not me)
surferjak

Postby thatissognarly » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:46 pm

nah man, cant help you there, why is it ed shagface
thatissognarly

Postby mal-nourished » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:51 pm

or a old grey haired man down sennen way doing the same on a mal...[ thats me] :oops: Image
mal-nourished

Postby CRISPY » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:00 pm

This old chesnut! Well things are still improving. The new carveboard is really helping out my technique. Just need some swell to find out :evil:

.... .- / .... .- / .. / -.-. .- -. - / -... . .-.. .. . ...- . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / ... .- -.. / . -. --- ..- --. .... / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ...
http://www.jokeronline.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/JOKER/10652956154
CRISPY

Postby weaver » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:17 pm

thatissognarly wrote:im the same as weaver, sort of cured it though, went to tobago and surfed the right reef over there, which meant i had to turn on my forehand, at beachies i always used to want to go left...th easiest way to do that is grab your rail i think, although looks like ur trying to get barreled all the time

What board were you using at tobago gnarly, how much speed could you pick up and what was the size and shape of the waves. Did you start your turns at the top of the wave or wait for the full bottom turn? Really interested to know, I'm sure it would help me on my journey.
weaver

Postby thatissognarly » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:24 pm

i was stil lin the learningish stage, so i would drop down (the waves were 4 foot) then just warp it round, just looked down the line, put pressure on my back foot, and just kinda went from there. wasnt gracious but it got me going. i was surfing a 5'11" 19" 2 1/4" matt adams swallow tail with the widest point at th back, that was a year ago so its come along since then
thatissognarly

Postby weaver » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:28 pm

Thank's pal, have transfer that to 9' of log. Maybe I should buy a fish but it feels like cheating................ :?
weaver

Postby thatissognarly » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:32 pm

nah man i think if you have money you might as well....watch loads of videos as well. that really helps i did that for ages, i watched kelly in young guns two and slo mowed it every time he did his bottom turn (and yes i am a grom)
thatissognarly

Postby mal-nourished » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:35 pm

on a log or longboard ...same rule applies dont be afraid to put some rail into it see so many loggers blow bottomturns both forehand and backhand cause there scared to use there rails ...or is it there afraid to engage there brains. :lol: :lol:
mal-nourished

Postby thatissognarly » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:36 pm

what brains???
thatissognarly

Postby weaver » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:42 pm

mal-nourished wrote:on a log or longboard ...same rule applies dont be afraid to put some rail into it see so many loggers blow bottomturns both forehand and backhand cause there scared to use there rails ...or is it there afraid to engage there brains. :lol: :lol:

:-) ...Love that mal.... but (there's always a but) it always feels better when brain is open circuit and feet take over. Have now come to conclusion that inteligence resides between the big toe ligaments and the kneecap.
weaver

Postby mal-nourished » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:00 pm

sorry but your correct brains and surfing dont mix but good eyesight is helpful cant people see what others are doing i know we all have different levels but the basics are the same......photos and videos are useful tools but hours in the water is what counts... :lol: :wink:
mal-nourished

Postby surferjak » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:45 pm

surf like me and dave do in the summer, 6 hours a day on longboards and swells
surferjak

Postby southcoaster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:19 pm

Just thought I'd add my thoughts..........

Firstly there are not actually that many people I see in Cornwall actually doing a proper bottom turn. Sure a lot of people can turn back up the wave, but not really off the bottom IMO. Clearly the most important thing is practice, but I think one important thing to note is that most people don't appear to me to drop far enough in front of the wave. You can't do a solid bottom turn if you're turning when you're still half way up the wave!

Next time your out in the water look how far out the guys who actually rip go in front of the wave in order to do that crucial bottom turn. Or in fact just watch a video carefully.
It may feel like you're going a long way out in front of the wave, but chances it's not far enough.
If you're angling on take off then chances are you're not about to go straight into a bottom turn.

I think the main problem is, is that it's actively trying to do the opposite of what you have been doing since you started going along on a wave, i.e. you try and avoid the flats. But you must try to just drop straight down the wave, right to the bottom and then do your turn. If the wave is too fat then turn halfway up the face and do a cutback. Easy as that! 8) Everyone seems to think that the wave will run off if you don't angle straight away on take off, but the reality is that you will generate more speed by bottom turning as you will actually be in the pocket (obviously doesn't apply if the wave is actually running off in front of you, which is unfortunately often the case in Cornwall!).

Well I could go on, but I think I've said quite enough.
southcoaster

Postby The Hoff » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:33 am

No offense to anyone but all this technical stuff won't help you at all, study the videos and go out in the street with your skatebooard and try to slide your tail out in the ramp like sections in peoples driveways, repeat x 1000. It worked for me. :-)

Go forth, go forth and thrash!
The Hoff

Postby Henry86 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:32 am

CRISPY wrote:
Henry86 wrote:how u getting on with the board crispy- sorry to go off topic just wondered.

Loving it so far mate. I'm going to play with the fins before I take it out again to loosen it up a bit.

How's yours?

Its being ordered next week. :-D
The ruptured capilliaries in your nose belie the clarity of you wisdom
Henry86

Postby weaver » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:09 pm

The Hoff wrote:No offense to anyone but all this technical stuff won't help you at all, study the videos and go out in the street with your skatebooard and try to slide your tail out in the ramp like sections in peoples driveways, repeat x 1000. It worked for me. :-)

Go forth, go forth and thrash!

But that's got to be one of the delights of surfng. It can be approached from so many directions, what ever suits the individual. In other sports I've always found the idea of imprinting useful. Hands up all the people who have gone to bed after a day in the water and not replayed every wave they can remember and tried to work what they did or did'nt do right. In order to do that you have to analyse, to analyse you have to deconstuct. We all do it to one degree or another.
weaver

Postby thatissognarly » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:10 pm

:salute:
thatissognarly

Postby weaver » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:20 pm

thatissognarly wrote::salute:

Was that a yes or a no.......................?
weaver

Postby thatissognarly » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:23 pm

a yes i agree wholeheartedly with you
thatissognarly

PreviousNext

Return to General