had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby freebird54 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:08 am

Craivold wrote:
Philshoz wrote:
Need to find a board with a few more litres to help beat the added mils of neoprene that are slowing me right down.....glum, to say the least.

I didn't surf much last winter (in the UK at least) so I'd almost forgotten what it was like to wear the full winter get up but I'm amazed how much heavier you feel in the water, I reckon a 5mm, boots, gloves & hood ringing wet has to add 5kg+ to your weight - it's almost a case for needing a different set of boards for the winter! I've paddled and missed a fair few waves this winter on my lower volume boards because of this (and my lyrical crapness), foam is my friend now I reckon.

Not only heavier but the lack of flexibility even with modern wetsuits, I made the decision back in the 70's I needed warmer climes
freebird54

Postby surfrat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:06 am

mad rush to get a last half hour in before dark. saw a great set on the paddle out. then waited and waited and waited....it got dark. paddled over to another bank to catch something and then missed the set i'd been waiting for.
well pissed off
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby dermo909 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm

surfrat wrote:mad rush to get a last half hour in before dark. saw a great set on the paddle out. then waited and waited and waited....it got dark. paddled over to another bank to catch something and then missed the set i'd been waiting for.
well pissed off

I usually wait forever for a set and then take a smaller wave just to pass the time. What usually happens is the biggest set of the day rolls in and I get caught out! Cue lots of cursing and swearing!
dermo909

Postby Goat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Today I fell badly from a ride, onto my upturned board, landing hard on my armpit...snapping a glassed on bamboo fin clean off my Empire Lumus. Fin not seen since.

Pretty gutted, no idea how I'm going to get this repaired as the fin is hand shaped and done so in the depths of Cornwall. Not even sure it's worth the petrol + cost to do so! And with a portugal trip soon, this is rotten timing.
Goat

Postby Black » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Goat wrote:Today I fell badly from a ride, onto my upturned board, landing hard on my armpit...snapping a glassed on bamboo fin clean off my Empire Lumus. Fin not seen since.

Pretty gutted, no idea how I'm going to get this repaired as the fin is hand shaped and done so in the depths of Cornwall. Not even sure it's worth the petrol + cost to do so! And with a portugal trip soon, this is rotten timing.
That sounds awful. I'd leave it to get repaired properly and take something else to Portugal or get something out there.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Ferral » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Definatly not better than a day in work. Didnt even surf. got up at six, booming swell, drive to a mysto spot a long long way away, its 1ft, the bank is wrecked. drive a long way in a different direction, its falt, drive home. you win some you loose some.
Ferral

Postby Craivold » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 am

Goat wrote:Today I fell badly from a ride, onto my upturned board, landing hard on my armpit...snapping a glassed on bamboo fin clean off my Empire Lumus.

Agghhh...that's not good news Goater, I suppose its the problem you have with glass ons - how do you get on taking it on a flight anyhow? Do you just have to be super expert with the packing?

On the fin- couldn't you get Steve to make you a new one and post it to you then get it glassed on more locally?
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby Goat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Yeah, isnt great. Will definitely go with lockbox next time.

Contacted Steve, he said he could fix it for around £60 and the other little dings I have for a bit more. Only problem is, it'll take a couple of weeks and involve 2 trips to tip of Cornwall, so would cost around £120 in petrol alone. I think the labour and petrol will almost cancel out the 2nd hand value of it if i were to sell it on after repair. Alternatively, he offered a £100 trade in towards a new, smaller lumus, which I planned on getting at some point anyway.

However, I was a bit compulsive the other day (before Steve emailed back) and put a £200 deposit down on a new Gulfstream Speed Dialer! Feel a bit silly now, but hopefully the board will be fun and now I've had almost 2 years on a 6.0" lumus, I will be able to catch waves ok on a 6.0" speed dialer. Can also trade in damaged lumus towards speed dialer, although wont get much i expect.

On the plus side...I got 2 good years use out of it, so could have been worse.
Goat

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 pm

mate, just give it to coxie to fix...excuse for a trip to surf in n.devon...leave it with him for x number of weeks...excuse for a second trip to devon....get back an utterly flawless repair...
Vince Noir

Postby tootes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:54 am

Goat wrote:Yeah, isnt great. Will definitely go with lockbox next time.

Contacted Steve, he said he could fix it for around £60 and the other little dings I have for a bit more. Only problem is, it'll take a couple of weeks and involve 2 trips to tip of Cornwall, so would cost around £120 in petrol alone. I think the labour and petrol will almost cancel out the 2nd hand value of it if i were to sell it on after repair. Alternatively, he offered a £100 trade in towards a new, smaller lumus, which I planned on getting at some point anyway.

However, I was a bit compulsive the other day (before Steve emailed back) and put a £200 deposit down on a new Gulfstream Speed Dialer! Feel a bit silly now, but hopefully the board will be fun and now I've had almost 2 years on a 6.0" lumus, I will be able to catch waves ok on a 6.0" speed dialer. Can also trade in damaged lumus towards speed dialer, although wont get much i expect.

On the plus side...I got 2 good years use out of it, so could have been worse.

totally standard man logic that. Like when I bought my new bike on the result of my house being sold, except my house was not quite sold and I became convinced I had jinxed the whole thing, to the point of paranoia when it took another month to sell.

Was hoping to get in today but if I try I am sure I will be returning to this thread. In fact this w/e has got this thread written all over it.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby Goat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:23 pm

:P :o
Goat

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Goat - you will love the Dialler, such a versatile board. They kinda fly under the radar a bit these days in light of of various other hybrid/simmons type boards, but they are a time-tested design. Great boards....

Sensitive to fin placement though, so don't go whacking them back and forth too much to begin with. :D
Archy_is_God

Postby Goat » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm

You're not wrong Archy...

I don't know if you recall, but I had a B&W one a few years back, as a step down from the magic carpet I had been riding. Whole experience was a waste of time as I just couldn't catch many waves on it and even when I did, I was all over the place. Well, putting 18 months time in on a 6'0 simmonsy type board, and a year on a 6'6" nugget before that has obviously helped no end, because today's first surf on the speed dialer was a success.

Firstly it looks beautiful, lovely shape and finish Waves were only slightly harder to catch than when using the lumus, even in the average 2-3ft croyde conditions today, which surprised me. More impressive though was when up and riding, I had expected to feel a real sensation of bogging and lack of drive compared to the lumus, but through turns or compressing/extending along the face of the wave generated an impressive amount of speed. Less than the lumus for sure, but significant all the same and speed seemed to come more in 'bursts' than a continual sense of flow and forward momentum that you get with the lumus. Different approaches to speed for sure, but I can foresee the speed dialer approach perhaps being more rewarding in the long term.

The real joy came from jamming a big forehand topturn into cutback, that felt amazing! Definitely feels a bit more controlled yet with more bite and excitement. Currently using the standard FCS fins, which Simon of GS swears by over the speed dialer fins, for all round use. Was knackered after getting 6 waves, so called it a day, but looking foward to putting some proper time into it as today was just a taster. Is yours still your go to board, or are you more into the Widowmaker these days?
Goat

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:33 pm

Forgot you had the B&W!

Stoked it's working straight off the bat for you.

Funnily enough, I don't have one at the mo, but would like another at some point.
Archy_is_God

Postby Black » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Well I went in at Watergate wondering why nobody was out there. They were even bigger than they looked. A 20 minute hard paddle out and 25 minutes trying to catch some super clean but huge closeouts! The set waves were scary, got nothing except a heap of fear and exhaustion. Saw my limit reached and got out after about an hour.
Black

Postby Vince Noir » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:16 pm

how big we talking...good 6ft long period sets creeping through this morning
Vince Noir

Postby briggfoot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Black wrote:Well I went in at Watergate wondering why nobody was out there. They were even bigger than they looked. A 20 minute hard paddle out and 25 minutes trying to catch some super clean but huge closeouts! The set waves were scary, got nothing except a heap of fear and exhaustion. Saw my limit reached and got out after about an hour.

That's a shame, did you manage to find anywhere a bit more manageable? There was a dude out getting some tow-in practise at Perranporth last weekend, and I had a similar experience to yourself there, before scuttling off with my legs between my tail to somewhere sheltered....

I was flapping today when I got out back and realized that there was only one back to shore, but once I sussed out how the waves were breaking I relaxed into it and caught some good rides.

More of the same tomorrow? I hope so. Can we trade in some swell size for a reduction in wind speed, please Poseidon?
briggfoot

Postby Black » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:33 pm

briggfoot wrote:
Black wrote:Well I went in at Watergate wondering why nobody was out there. They were even bigger than they looked. A 20 minute hard paddle out and 25 minutes trying to catch some super clean but huge closeouts! The set waves were scary, got nothing except a heap of fear and exhaustion. Saw my limit reached and got out after about an hour.

That's a shame, did you manage to find anywhere a bit more manageable? There was a dude out getting some tow-in practise at Perranporth last weekend, and I had a similar experience to yourself there, before scuttling off with my legs between my tail to somewhere sheltered....

I was flapping today when I got out back and realized that there was only one back to shore, but once I sussed out how the waves were breaking I relaxed into it and caught some good rides.

More of the same tomorrow? I hope so. Can we trade in some swell size for a reduction in wind speed, please Poseidon?

Looked at Newquay on the way home but relatively small and busy, not interesting, I was the only one out at Watergate, probs for a reason :roll: The wind didn't come into it by 12:30.
Vince 6 foot is probably my limit these days, the set waves were head and a half closeouts and I couldn't paddle into them with an exit route with my skill. Have to say felt a bit non-plussed about not catching a thing, at least I gave it a go. Tomorrow is planned.....

A friend gave me grief for trying to surf low tide Watergate :oops:
Black

Postby Philshoz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 am

Black wrote:
briggfoot wrote:
Black wrote: 6 foot is probably my limit these days :

Ditto Black.

I'll bear that in mind when you come over................ :wink:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Black » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:06 pm

^^^ If the ageing process continues at its current rate I'll be down to 4 foot by then. :lol:
Black

Postby dermo909 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Went out this morning in glassy 3ft conditions but it was just one of those days were nothing clicked. Caught a few good ones but the paddle back out was torture!

Ah well!
dermo909

Postby Monkey_Alan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 am

first surf back in a wetsuit after 3 weeks in sri lanka - grim as f@ck :(
When the shit goes down, you better be ready....
Monkey_Alan

Postby James1001 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:13 pm

1-2ft mush at Cayton Bay. Got caught in a rip as well (still better than a day at work) 8)
James1001

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:32 am

lol caught in a rip at 1-2ft ?

in the middle of the beach at mid tide by any chance ?
Vince Noir

Postby xsurfedgex » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 am

last sunday at saltburn was cruddy. took a beginner with us so needed the hire-shop etc... (otherwise wouldve gone elsewhere)
total mushy with an incoming tide in the 'mid section'... being impatient and not wanting to spend all day battling with the tide I made the most of it but every wave i caught lasted about 3 seconds before closing out. Wiped out off the rail and somehow managed to bump my head on my board (nowt bad), followed by an whopper of an ice cream headache... then another smack in the face by an icy wave (shoulda been looking!)
Change of tactic and desire to actually catch something semi decent, meant an arduous struggle to get out the back, but low and behold there was rip that was dragging us towards the pier. waap waap waah... Didn't panic and actually followed ye-olde 'advice' of going across it which proved to work (lesson learnt so was worth it really!) but even my more experienced pal didn't like it out there as the waves were pretty big but closing out straight away. Belly boarded it back to shore feeling like a wally... win some lose some, but still stoked on it all.

our beginner mate had the time of his life tho!
xsurfedgex

Postby Chris F » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:02 am

Monkey_Alan wrote:first surf back in a wetsuit after 3 weeks in sri lanka - grim as f@ck :(

Better than not going to Sri Lanka at all :-(
Chris F

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:51 am

So much for the light offshore...more like moderate crappy cross-shore :evil: Hope it got better for the large number of folk arriving when I got out.
skimmer2

Postby briggfoot » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:56 pm

skimmer2 wrote:So much for the light offshore...more like moderate crappy cross-shore :evil: Hope it got better for the large number of folk arriving when I got out.

Where about were you? I was on the beach at first light in North Cornwall and it was glassy as anything for a good couple of hours. Couldn't get in for a good 45 minutes initially as it was so bastard foggy! But had some stunners as the sun burnt through the clag.

Then it all went to rat-shit....choppy wobbly junk.
briggfoot

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:10 pm

briggfoot wrote:
skimmer2 wrote:So much for the light offshore...more like moderate crappy cross-shore :evil: Hope it got better for the large number of folk arriving when I got out.

Where about were you? I was on the beach at first light in North Cornwall and it was glassy as anything for a good couple of hours. Couldn't get in for a good 45 minutes initially as it was so bastard foggy! But had some stunners as the sun burnt through the clag.

Then it all went to rat-shit....choppy wobbly junk.

Try about 500 miles north and on the East :lol:
skimmer2

Postby Werwulf1919 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Pants...utter..utter pants.
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

PreviousNext

Return to General