had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby Black » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:34 pm

If I have another crap surf in a row I will probably give up surfing altogether!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philshoz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 am

Black wrote:If I have another crap surf in a row I will probably give up surfing altogether!

Where is that positive attitude matey?

PM me for counseling.
Philshoz

Postby Philshoz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:27 am

Spoke too soon.

Just had a very dodgy session myself, 30 mins without a wave :oops: :shock:

Improved later on with a handful of nice long lefts but all in all not very good.

Looking forward to tales of daring-do from the East coast in the stoke section..
Philshoz

Postby zboy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:30 pm

a poor worker blames his tools so ere goes .....the wind was unreal, the swell was their some real nice ones coming through, had me new board caught nothing wind that bad blew me over into the next beach and then when i came in, got blown over by the wind to insult me futher. :lol: :-D :oops:
zboy

Postby danny1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Hate days like that
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby oddmanout » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:28 pm

started the year with a crumbly crap surf for 90min this afternoon between appointments, better than nothing though...... ;)
oddmanout

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:54 pm

had literally the worst surf ever yesterday, got in when it was looking a bit blown out but good, and then the tide dropped faster than you could imagine just as a massive front came in and destroyed any surfable faces
i got one wave that didn't either mush out or close out in an hour and felt worse than before i got in :evil:
fuckin' south coast and 7m spring tides...
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Sometimes you go in even though you don't expect much......but when it ends up being just crap it really pisses you off...such a waste of a morning when I could be doing things with the family.
skimmer2

Postby tootes » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 pm

skimmer2 wrote:Sometimes you go in even though you don't expect much......but when it ends up being just crap it really pisses you off...such a waste of a morning when I could be doing things with the family.

Looked ok from the car park at 11ish, I stopped (as usual and to the annoyance of the kids) on the way to the wave pool. Was gutted not to be going in.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:43 pm

tootes wrote:
skimmer2 wrote:Sometimes you go in even though you don't expect much......but when it ends up being just crap it really pisses you off...such a waste of a morning when I could be doing things with the family.

Looked ok from the car park at 11ish, I stopped (as usual and to the annoyance of the kids) on the way to the wave pool. Was gutted not to be going in.

Yup - looked okay with the binocs but really was pretty poor - you missed nothing unless it got better....I was away 1030ish. Choppy onshore/crossshore crap. There was swell coming through but nae good.
skimmer2

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:37 am

Decent swell, but no sand left on the beach... super rippy, lots of closeouts, snapped leash. All before brekkie..... :evil:
Archy_is_God

Postby Ferral » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Sheet glass, lovely swell rolling in, cams showed a couple of good peaks working all morning. zoomed over in my lunch break, tide a bit low but its coming in and the swell and wind are still good. Get changed, step onto the beach to feel the first puff of an onshore. Within 15 minutes its blowing strong. tide just too low, lots of rip. rubbish rubbish.
Ferral

Postby tootes » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Caught thirty or forty waves today, they were all crap
Maybe a couple were ok.

Went for a drive this pm and saw somewhere I should have gone instead, next time..
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby Pterodroma » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Spiral fracture in my right ring finger after getting hung up on the first wave I paddled for yesterday :oops:

Worst of it was paddling back in one armed, then battling the wind on the walk back, watching consistent sets line up and fire down the point the whole time.

To the guy who reassured me it probably wasn't broken before ripping my wetsuit glove off for me - you ought to see the x-ray! Finger is currently bent about 30 degrees the wrong way too which would be quite amusing if it wasn't mine.
Pterodroma

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Me and the Janitor down the local today :shock: :shock: double overhead and the whole ocean moving - you could have got in and caught some but there was no exit with that tide - never seen the waves move as fast as that down there - looked brutal
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Philshoz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:07 am

ATTMFKH wrote:Me and the Janitor down the local today :shock: :shock: double overhead and the whole ocean moving - you could have got in and caught some but there was no exit with that tide - never seen the waves move as fast as that down there - looked brutal

I know what you mean.

I went to my local on Friday thinking could be OK. Met a French guy who was coming out, 'How was it' says I………'BROOTAL' says he.

Pictures only for me.
Philshoz

Postby Ferral » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:34 pm

Utterly shite, it should have been really good, it looked really good when the tide was too high but it was shite. probably the worst I've surfed the spot and it was busy too. :evil:
Ferral

Postby danny1 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:10 pm

HOLY CRAP! massive deer jumped into the front of my van today..while on the way to a north devon sheltered spot...which meant the mornig surf was postponed while i tried to find someone to fix the headlamp and radiaotor....nitemare
danny1

Postby oddmanout » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:52 pm

it might have only been an hour in 3ft of blown out mess, but it was still miles better than a service station lunch with a bunch of latté drinkin bagel munchin corporate bellends........................
oddmanout

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 pm

oddmanout wrote:it might have only been an hour in 3ft of blown out mess, but it was still miles better than a service station lunch with a bunch of latté drinkin bagel munchin corporate bellends........................

Does that not make it a Stoke Surf then :-)
ATTMFKH

Postby oddmanout » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:18 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:
oddmanout wrote:it might have only been an hour in 3ft of blown out mess, but it was still miles better than a service station lunch with a bunch of latté drinkin bagel munchin corporate bellends........................

Does that not make it a Stoke Surf then :-)

Hummm, I guess it does!!! 8) Nice one.
oddmanout

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:35 pm

ATTMFKH

Postby danny1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:22 pm

LOLOLOL hahah laughed alot there...mint pic
danny1

Postby danny1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:23 pm

sorry man...cannot stop laughing at tht..!!
danny1

Postby Goat » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:47 am

Only been 4 times this year (after going about once a week last couple of years), been a bit lapse...and every session has been miserable! The lack of paddle fitness and 'not having my eye in' has been really evident. Never surfed worse.

4 sessions with decent conditions, maybe 3-4ft fairly clean...first session I got NO WAVES at all, first time that's happened in a looong time (wrong place wrong time every time, endless paddling, not managing to get out back for most of session, when I do, I either miss waves I go for, get bundled on take off, or someone else has priority). Second session I got 3 short ish rides, loads of paddling and frustrating. 3rd session was similar.

Then I go Tuesday this week, looks great - 3-4ft and clean. Having been twice within the previous 10 days, I was confident I'd enjoy this session. Again, wrong place wrong time every fcuking time! 2 two second closeout rides in 2 hours surfing. In fact, the last 5 waves I paddled for, I got thrown head over heals on takeoff, leading me to storm out of the sea in an absolute huff. Swore I would never go surfing again. £25 a pop with petrol, bridge fee, not to mention having to take a 1/2 day off work. It it worth it? I just don't know anymore. I probably ''enjoy'' 1 session in 5. Whereas Mountain biking leaves me smiling after most sessions, it's much more accessible and is more consistently rewarding. I'm seriously thinking about jacking in surfing, remembering the good times and leaving it be, concentrating on mountain biking and getting as good as I can at that.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it does seem to me that unless you can go at least 1-2 times every week, you're doomed to an experience of frustration and upheaval. Living in Bristol, this isn't ideal as going more than maybe once every 7-10 days isn't particularly viable. It's all relative of course - because I used to be better at surfing and am now experiencing dreadful sessions with dwindling ability and fitness, it makes it a bit harder to swallow.

Ok rant over.
Goat

Postby Vince Noir » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Goat wrote:Only been 4 times this year (after going about once a week last couple of years), been a bit lapse...and every session has been miserable! The lack of paddle fitness and 'not having my eye in' has been really evident. Never surfed worse.

4 sessions with decent conditions, maybe 3-4ft fairly clean...first session I got NO WAVES at all, first time that's happened in a looong time (wrong place wrong time every time, endless paddling, not managing to get out back for most of session, when I do, I either miss waves I go for, get bundled on take off, or someone else has priority). Second session I got 3 short ish rides, loads of paddling and frustrating. 3rd session was similar.

Then I go Tuesday this week, looks great - 3-4ft and clean. Having been twice within the previous 10 days, I was confident I'd enjoy this session. Again, wrong place wrong time every fcuking time! 2 two second closeout rides in 2 hours surfing. In fact, the last 5 waves I paddled for, I got thrown head over heals on takeoff, leading me to storm out of the sea in an absolute huff. Swore I would never go surfing again. £25 a pop with petrol, bridge fee, not to mention having to take a 1/2 day off work. It it worth it? I just don't know anymore. I probably ''enjoy'' 1 session in 5. Whereas Mountain biking leaves me smiling after most sessions, it's much more accessible and is more consistently rewarding. I'm seriously thinking about jacking in surfing, remembering the good times and leaving it be, concentrating on mountain biking and getting as good as I can at that.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it does seem to me that unless you can go at least 1-2 times every week, you're doomed to an experience of frustration and upheaval. Living in Bristol, this isn't ideal as going more than maybe once every 7-10 days isn't particularly viable. It's all relative of course - because I used to be better at surfing and am now experiencing dreadful sessions with dwindling ability and fitness, it makes it a bit harder to swallow.

Ok rant over.

i feel your pain when things don't go right. makes you seriously frustrated. I'm lucky to get in more than twice a month nowadays. i have no idea how i haven't become completely shite.
Vince Noir

Postby danny1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:40 pm

totally understand this.

BUt wait- have you got kids? if not stop fuckin whinging!

my advice- easy solution. Everytme youhavnt surfed for a week go for a 30 min swim when ever you can...even a 15 min swim will keep you paddle fit...front crawl mind.
danny1

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:07 pm

in total contrast to yesterday had a shite 'surf' (if you could even call it that) today
planned on going to wittering again and had been watching the webcam all day. it looked really nice, a couple of foot, maybe 3 on the sets and clean and offshore. got home from college and headed over only to find the waves were just about a foot and shifty as fuck. got in, caught one wave, fell off, and then the sets just stopped coming. dead. over. wasted drive. wasted time. wasted effort. fuck mondays. :evil:
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby GB Benny » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:19 pm

That's the south coast for you! One tide swell normally......when it's dropping off it really does drop round here!......always gotta make the most of it when it's on
GB Benny

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:19 pm

GB Benny wrote:That's the south coast for you! One tide swell normally......when it's dropping off it really does drop round here!......always gotta make the most of it when it's on

yeah it sucks sometimes, I just try and remind myself there are those golden days that make it ok, but god can it be depressing :lol:
Tomdiddlybomb

PreviousNext

Return to General