had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby philo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm

looked pretty messy today at my local a couple of hours after dawn, always seem to be at work when ever the waves are clean and working.
philo
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:13 am
Location: Northeast

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:41 pm

2 hours , 1 good wave - dumpy, gutless, shapeless pish :evil: resent having to wash my rubber after that :roll:
User avatar
ATTMFKH
 
Posts: 7797
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: THE CULT of WHEY

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby harkii » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:56 pm

would agree with that attmfkh it was fuckin shite........................
harkii
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:20 pm

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Unfortunately another post from me in here.

Big , nasty, sketchy jump-off, on my own - shat it :roll:
User avatar
ATTMFKH
 
Posts: 7797
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: THE CULT of WHEY

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby Underdog » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Didn't even get a rubbish surf.
Every intention of hitting my hometown break but made the mistake of looking at the web cam before I set off. Absolutley rammed. Just couldn't raise any enthusiasm to join that many people in the water.
A tweeter with over 400 followers tweeted that it was "clean shoulder plus" a couple of hours earlier; can't help wondering if that had an impact.

Plus point - garden is looking quite tidy now :roll:
User avatar
Underdog
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:57 am
Location: Whey down Whest

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fucking fuck surfing.......one of the worst outings that I can remember today. Never got a single wave, felt like my board wouldn't move, everything slow and wherever the wave was I wasn't. Not a feckin wave and out for a couple of hours. Sometimes I hate the longboard and sometimes it just works well. Why do I do my nuts in trying to get better at surfing....one step forward and two back....FUCK! :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:
skimmer2
 
Posts: 1705
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:33 am

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Feel for you dude. Seems like 1 in 10 of all my last sessions over the last year has been something like that.
Try and take something positive from each session though. Like today you learned... don't use a longboard :lol: :lol: . You won't make that mistake again.

Seriously though, how the fuck did you not manage to catch a wave on a longboard. Blink and your in position, blink again and you've caught the wave. You must suck worse than me. Ever tried body boarding? :p :wink:

Pre-emptive EDIT - that was a attempt at banter, sorry to shit on your crap session. :-(
User avatar
Poo Stance
 
Posts: 3787
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:07 pm

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Poo Stance wrote:Feel for you dude. Seems like 1 in 10 of all my last sessions over the last year has been something like that.
Try and take something positive from each session though. Like today you learned... don't use a longboard :lol: :lol: . You won't make that mistake again.

Seriously though, how the fuck did you not manage to catch a wave on a longboard. Blink and your in position, blink again and you've caught the wave. You must suck worse than me. Ever tried body boarding? :p :wink:

Pre-emptive EDIT - that was a attempt at banter, sorry to shit on your crap session. :-(


:lol: :lol: :lol: enjoyed that. Christ knows....just not got out much at all over the Winter so really lost any improvement from the previous year. Tide was out and waves gutless..they just crashed/dumped and were gutless. And yes ...I am really crap to boot too. Canny blame the tools...the workman just needs more watertime.
skimmer2
 
Posts: 1705
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:33 am

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:23 pm

All the gravy pushed through in the darkness and the crumbs that were left at dawn weren't worth it :roll: :evil:
User avatar
ATTMFKH
 
Posts: 7797
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: THE CULT of WHEY

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby wavemoore » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:07 pm

why should we lose our spots? i caught my first waves in newquay bay as a pre-teen. as a small child i spent all summer on the beach with my parents. my father being a waterman and liking anything to do with water sports constantly pushed me to feel the same way so i was always in the waves, swimming pool or lakes and rivers having a laugh. i had a polystyrene boogie board and would always look at the guys out back ripping but be to small to make out there. when i got given my first proper board, an 1980s clark foam fish that had more repairs than board, i was well and truly stoked. this guy, long hair, ripped jeans and combat boots (the look of 1990s cornwall coasts) with a less than expensive lifestyle, a proper surfer in my eyes, basically gave me this board. it was like that then, as a kid thats what happened. you would get taken in by the older guys, they'd get you a board and show you the ropes. people would chat in the water, shout each other onto waves, if someone was in a better position the wave would be theirs....WHAT HAPPENED!??!!! (off subject but these new yuppie surfers have made our sport so expensive!!!)
now its a free for all. bodies everywhere, less and less familiar faces all getting driven away by the hoards of new comers with fancy cars and all the gear. these guys have no awareness of there surroundings nor the people that have been at these spots for years. if i dropped in or tried to muscle my way through as a grom i would have got given hell and get told to chill out they'll be more waves. now i spend most of my time in the water paddling up and down trying to get away from these muppets. i call it bum clubbing because i feel like asking them if they fancy me then explain that following me one way then the other and always going for the same waves is not going to get them better waves and is not cool especially when nice waves are rolling through underneath them and they are battling me for supremacy...F OFF! GO PLAY FOOTBALL OR SOMETHING!!! (i'm always surfing the crap shoulders to get away from the crowd!)
the point is that today a guy muscling all the decent waves in a already crowded line up leaving me to try and paddle onto cast offs with no power grabbed my leash as i took off. i was getting fed up and admittedly did force myself in deeper, but i was deeper. the leash then wrapped around his finger and hurt him. his reaction was i "shouldn't be surfing this spot" well shocked i replied "i've been surfing here 20years!". i didn't explain this to him but i wanted to say not so much over the last five years or so but for the reason that people like you surf here. i have seen this guy there a lot when i do brave newquay over the last year or 2 but he is not from these parts.
we are all losing our spots, even the secret ones! we need to all pull these guys over and say "chill out, they'll be more waves and give us some space eh!, no need to sit on my lap" and "don't paddle up behind me when i take off, try and beat me onto to waves and ruin it for both of us, they'll be one behind and DON'T DROP IN!!" you lot don't own the spot because you surfed it for a year the ocean is for everyone!!!!
wavemoore
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby danny1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:03 am

hmm went south instead of north due to family arrangements...3ft and a lumpy in the south. Didnt even botther going in...


Called a few mates back up north at different spots...just 100 miles further north- head and a half/ double over on the sets and pumping...grrr
danny1
 
Posts: 8702
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: northeast

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Checked it first thing this morning - small, howling offshore, so went in work early...

Went to have a look after work. Solid. Like really, pretty fuckin solid. Few people milling round in the carpark with no takers. I paddled out, almost got to the take off zone then the last wave I duckdived ripped the board out of my hands, somehow fin slicing my thumb in the process...

Turned around and cruised in, not even taking off on a wave :lol:
User avatar
Archy_is_God
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Whey out Whest

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby coxie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 pm

It did look chunky, i looked at the web cam and decided to have a nice cup of tea instead :oops:
User avatar
coxie
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:51 am
Location: north devon

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby smelly skater » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:42 pm

trev said he saw someone nearly get out back at p land !!!! must have been you :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i had a great surf :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
smelly skater
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:04 am

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby eric_t » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Checked it first thing this morning - small, howling offshore, so went in work early...

Went to have a look after work. Solid. Like really, pretty fuckin solid. Few people milling round in the carpark with no takers. I paddled out, almost got to the take off zone then the last wave I duckdived ripped the board out of my hands, somehow fin slicing my thumb in the process...

Turned around and cruised in, not even taking off on a wave :lol:


Arch, you going for a look in the morning? could be a couple of foot i reckon! i'm gunna go about half 8 i think.
User avatar
eric_t
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:28 pm
Location: croyde

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:18 pm

In meetings all day tomorrow.... :evil: Have a good one though

Thursday, however, is a different kettle of fish :wink:

Smelly - yeah, that may have been me... :? Think Trev had gone home though by the time I foolishly paddled out, but he may have been laughing from the gatehouse :lol:

Looked mental though - like a giant left point. A couple of waves spat while I was watching, totally un-Putsboro :lol:
User avatar
Archy_is_God
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Whey out Whest

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby Craivold » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:39 am

Sounds mental Arch, fair play for giving it a bash though - especially as there was clearly no-one else up for it, takes guts to get in there whilst everyone around is reluctant. I love the thinking behind the immediate reaction of taking a bigg'un on the head and having your board ripped away from you.... retreat!

coxie wrote:It did look chunky, i looked at the web cam and decided to have a nice cup of tea instead :oops:


This would be my approach I reckon :lol:

Hope you boys get some cracking waves over the next few days - the swell's so big we've even got some stuff to surf in the channel!
Craivold
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: New Forest

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby sk8mk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 pm

was the biggest i've been in down at the pier this morning, bit too big for me to get out back, so was kinda frustrating, ended up being really tired and just catching the white water which I was kinda gutted about at first, but the more practice can't be a bad thing. Strangely enough I just want to head back out now!
sk8mk
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:21 pm
Location: Bournemouth / MK

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby Craivold » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Really pretty solid at the pier? Didn't think it looked that big on the cam but then the cams are deceiving. Been stuck working all day and struggled to get away :evil: , gonna completely ignore work tomorrow and hit the surf though - hopefully the swell will hold :?
Craivold
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: New Forest

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:26 pm

shouldnt be too hard to get out back at the peirs..only seen it bigish (4ft) once or twice. The biggest problem is the backwash and rip at high tide when it gets big..havent had a surf for a while now..ignorance would be bliss if i didnt know we've had waves on and off for the last few weeks
User avatar
Vince Noir
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Your mamma's hairy axe wound

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby sk8mk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:37 am

Yeah, the white water tends to push me back into the beach when I try and paddle out, even when I turtle roll, then there was a rip pushing me away from the pier and further down the beach, although once I got close enough to the pier it was a lot easier to get further back. I didn't really want to get into the proper line up due to my ability, save's me getting in the way of others, so I was waiting for the smaller waves which nobody was really going for and catching them instead. So far the best sessions have been clean 1 to 2ft, but considering the amount of windswell we get I want to get better at riding it.
sk8mk
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:21 pm
Location: Bournemouth / MK

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:20 pm

fuck it, just get in amongst them all...its a free for all anyway so might as well join in.
User avatar
Vince Noir
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Your mamma's hairy axe wound

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby kickmee6 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm on spring break this week and I've been dying for some surf. My school is landlocked and I've got the bug real bad. All I think about is catching some waves. I've driven to the beach every day this week just to smoke a bowl, smell the ocean air, take in the scenery and enjoy the cold sand.

Decided to paddle out yesterday.
first real cold water session of my life. Water temp wasnt bad (about 39) but the waves were god awful. I got tossed around for a good hour not catching a single wave. The wind blew me half way down beach, so far down, that when I got out, I didnt even know where I was. I was out all alone too. I checked a few beaches, no one went out. I must have been one the few surfers to paddle out anywhere on Long Island. Not to mention, the chop was brutal. It was confusing and disorientating, and I found my self completely out of position anytime something that could be considered a wave rolled through. I got dumped on, and looked like I was flailing around in the water. Oh well, everyone has to pay their dues. It's time to get back in shape. I have a feeling the spring is going to be pumping.
kickmee6
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby tootes » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:21 am

kickmee6 wrote:Decided to paddle out yesterday.
first real cold water session of my life. Water temp wasnt bad (about 39) but the waves were god awful. I got tossed around for a good hour not catching a single wave. The wind blew me half way down beach, so far down, that when I got out, I didnt even know where I was. I was out all alone too. I checked a few beaches, no one went out. I must have been one the few surfers to paddle out anywhere on Long Island. Not to mention, the chop was brutal. It was confusing and disorientating, and I found my self completely out of position anytime something that could be considered a wave rolled through. I got dumped on, and looked like I was flailing around in the water. Oh well, everyone has to pay their dues. It's time to get back in shape. I have a feeling the spring is going to be pumping.



livin the dream! sounds like a standard day in the UK :)
User avatar
tootes
 
Posts: 3613
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:20 pm
Location: East Lothian

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby skimmer2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Took the day off..got the spot and was delighted to see 2ft plus clean longboard waves - ace! Got changed paddled out and found that after 10 mins someone up there started to turn the tap off :-( Still. the Mrs is out for the rest of the aftie with the wee yin so time for a DVD, coffee and feet up :-) Sunday/Monday looking promising so not all bad.
skimmer2
 
Posts: 1705
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:33 am

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:22 pm

skimmer2 wrote:Took the day off..got the spot and was delighted to see 2ft plus clean longboard waves - ace! Got changed paddled out and found that after 10 mins someone up there started to turn the tap off :-( Still. the Mrs is out for the rest of the aftie with the wee yin so time for a DVD, coffee and feet up :-) Sunday/Monday looking promising so not all bad.


^^ Aye, got my eye on that long range northerly as well ........
User avatar
ATTMFKH
 
Posts: 7797
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: THE CULT of WHEY

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby skimmer2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Was a complete fecker this morning...from the car I watched the lines coming in for 10 mins and thought I was a lucky boy and got it right and was going to have an ace longboard easy day of it...then 20 mins later it just died on me. Just not my luck today. Now that I'm back home I bet it back again...line after line :lol: :lol:
skimmer2
 
Posts: 1705
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:33 am

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby sk8mk » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:32 pm

knew it was going to be sloppy but damn was hard to judge where the waves were breaking. Spent most the time paddling around trying to find the best spot just to see a wave go to where I originally was sitting. 3 waves in like 2 hours? not stoked considering I was the only person out
sk8mk
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:21 pm
Location: Bournemouth / MK

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby the blowin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:52 pm

kickmee6 wrote:I'm on spring break this week and I've been dying for some surf. My school is landlocked and I've got the bug real bad. All I think about is catching some waves. I've driven to the beach every day this week just to smoke a bowl, smell the ocean air, take in the scenery and enjoy the cold sand.

Decided to paddle out yesterday.
first real cold water session of my life. Water temp wasnt bad (about 39) but the waves were god awful. I got tossed around for a good hour not catching a single wave. The wind blew me half way down beach, so far down, that when I got out, I didnt even know where I was. I was out all alone too. I checked a few beaches, no one went out. I must have been one the few surfers to paddle out anywhere on Long Island. Not to mention, the chop was brutal. It was confusing and disorientating, and I found my self completely out of position anytime something that could be considered a wave rolled through. I got dumped on, and looked like I was flailing around in the water. Oh well, everyone has to pay their dues. It's time to get back in shape. I have a feeling the spring is going to be pumping.


so speaks a fellow addict...got to be done though basically, bet you still felt good after .....
the blowin
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: had rubbish surf (still better then good day at work)

Postby test pilots bodyboarding » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:10 am

thats up there with 1 of my worse surfs but the sun was out ,

i did operation human shield at 1 point , my freind and me were standin on these rocks to catch a surge wedge peak both got sucked over as it drew off the rocks then got pushed back over with the wave, luckly i hit the rocks , got dragged along them but unluckly my mate ...landed on me and used me as a '' human shield ''so got away scot free
test pilots bodyboarding
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:53 am
Location: st austell

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tootes and 2 guests