What do the stars mean on your site??

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

What do the stars mean on your site??

Postby Matt123 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Hey all,

Im new to the surf and was woundering what the star rating means for the weather reports on the MSW website i understand most of it but not the stars??
Matt123

Re: What do the stars mean on your site??

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:52 pm

It's a bit hard to explain so I hope I get this right.

It's kinda like the level of surfing MSW thinks you need to be at in order to surf on those days with stars. No stars means no waves so anyone can get in the water. 3 stars is about average and if you are a competent intermediate surfer you can make use of the waves. 5 stars means the waves will be unsuitable for less proficient surfers. Its a system designed to save people time if the waves are not to their standard, and also for safety reasons.

A lot of surf shops are signing up to the MSW star system of rating the waves. What this means is that if you want to rent a surfboard on a 5 star day, you need to have a 5 star surf rating. In order to get rated you need to go to a affiliated surf shop and fill out a questionnaire on surfing. These questions will assess how proficient you are by asking you things like...

Q) If a surfer is sitting further out than you and a big set comes. Do you
a - Paddle out further
b - Shout that you want the wave
c - ask the nearest surfer if they are scared too

Sound a bit silly. But it's all an attempt to make the water safer. Not all the questions are that silly, but once you've completed the questionnaire you will be given a star rating yourself (in the form of a nice badge you can sew on your wettie). You can now hire a board on days that match, or are lower than, your star rating (provided you show you star badge).

If you already own a board, it's hoped that you just use the star rating as a means to decide if the surf is suitable for yourself. The plan is that every surfer will have a star badge rating soon. I think there is work in the pipeline which may see lifeguards asking to see your star badge. If you badge doesn't match the wave rating you may be asked to refrain from surfing on that day.

Happy surfing and stay safe. :-D
Poo Stance

Postby stephh » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:07 am

Tea on keyboard moment................. :-D
paddlepaddlepaddle
stephh

Postby Chris F » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:16 am

Russell Grant is an expert on the stars. So is Patrick Moore.
Chris F

Postby helston90 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:29 pm

(I have a feeling you're being mocked since you put your question in the Surf Science forum not the learn to surf- that and you're new so vulnerable)

The number of stars tends to represent how powerful the swell is therefore how big the waves are (in a perfect world).

More importantly for you being a beginner is the quality of the waves- if there are say 3 stars it'll be medium about 4-6ft of swell on a beach break- the colour of the stars is how that wave is affected by the wind (and other local factors but mainly wind) if all stars are white it'll be an on shore wind blowing out the waves making it a mess and not worth the drive.3 dark stars would be offshore (which you want) or no wind at all so will be nice and clean. A mixture of whites and darks will affect different beaches and breaks in different ways therfore you'll have to learn how your local break reacts. typically though 2 out of 3 dark is acceptable and 1 out of 3 dark depends how desperate you are.

If you're completely new to the game I've heard of some people make a note of the swell period/direction/wind speed/direction etc. at their spot, then rate their opinion of it so you know what works and what doesn't!

Good luck
Three most important things in life: Surf, surf and surf!
helston90

Postby DrJive » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:57 pm

I have a feeling your being mocked because you have asked your question on the most unforgiving surfing site ever :wink:

Take it on the chin, give as good back :lol:

I was actually reading Poo Stances post thinking what the fuck has he been smoking.... and then I realised.
DrJive

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Poo Stance wrote:It's a bit hard to explain so I hope I get this right.

It's kinda like the level of surfing MSW thinks you need to be at in order to surf on those days with stars. No stars means no waves so anyone can get in the water. 3 stars is about average and if you are a competent intermediate surfer you can make use of the waves. 5 stars means the waves will be unsuitable for less proficient surfers. Its a system designed to save people time if the waves are not to their standard, and also for safety reasons.

A lot of surf shops are signing up to the MSW star system of rating the waves. What this means is that if you want to rent a surfboard on a 5 star day, you need to have a 5 star surf rating. In order to get rated you need to go to a affiliated surf shop and fill out a questionnaire on surfing. These questions will assess how proficient you are by asking you things like...

a - Paddle out further

Sound a bit silly. But it's all an attempt to make the water safer. Not all the questions are that silly, but once you've completed the questionnaire you will be given a star rating yourself (in the form of a nice badge you can sew on your wettie). You can now hire a board on days that match, or are lower than, your star rating (provided you show you star badge).

If you already own a board, it's hoped that you just use the star rating as a means to decide if the surf is suitable for yourself. The plan is that every surfer will have a star badge rating soon. I think there is work in the pipeline which may see lifeguards asking to see your star badge. If you badge doesn't match the wave rating you may be asked to refrain from surfing on that day.

Hey Poo - how can I upgrade my rusty star badge :-|
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Matt123 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:23 pm

Hey gyes,

Thanks for the advice its a lot to take in just starting off but il get used to it.

Hit some nice swell yesterday, off out again this weekend.

As for the banter its all good, just watch out when you see your next wave come bye and im on it riding straight into your FACE...

SSSMMMAAASSSHHH!!!

Ooops!! No hard feelings!!

Thanks gyes...
Matt123

Postby Monkey_Alan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Matt123 wrote:Hey gyes,

Thanks for the advice its a lot to take in just starting off but il get used to it.

Hit some nice swell yesterday, off out again this weekend.

As for the banter its all good, just watch out when you see your next wave come bye and im on it riding straight into your FACE...

SSSMMMAAASSSHHH!!!

Ooops!! No hard feelings!!

Thanks gyes...

Think he is getting the hang of this forum :lol:
When the shit goes down, you better be ready....
Monkey_Alan

Postby Squelchy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:41 am

is Matt123 mattyboy's mini-me? :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Squelchy

Postby Squelchy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:45 am

sorry, i'll be sensible now :oops:

no stars = no hope
anything more than 3 filled in stars = all local beaches rammed with people trying to surf 2 foot slightly onshore mush
5 filled in stars = you look forward to it for 24 hours then the wind will go onshore the second you paddle out :-D
ImageImageImageImageImage
Squelchy

Postby DrJive » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:22 am

Correction... 4 or 5 filled in stars and you look forward to it all week like a kid at Christmas, then you arrange time off work skive off etc only to get down the beach and find its big blown out shite. Spend an hour paddling in the mess before retiring for a pipe. :wink:
DrJive

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:43 pm

It would be a great experience to have some stars for the east coast of Scotland.....whenever it may happen I'm sure I'll miss it.....for another year.......ooops there it went...back to mush. :-(
skimmer2

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:00 am

I always thought the stars were based on the period. Had some great east coast sessions when there have been no "stars in the eyes" as period has been too short. Waves fine, just a bit of hard work paddling.
Chris F

Postby roberdy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:46 am

Chris F wrote:I always thought the stars were based on the period.

Ya, whenever there is a period I have to hit the star... :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Chris F » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:31 am

backdoor boogie.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:21 pm

roberdy wrote:
Chris F wrote:I always thought the stars were based on the period.

Ya, whenever there is a period I have to hit the star... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby BanthamBoy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:31 pm

people that talk to me about the how good or bad the surf will be based on star ratings are killer...

Examples being:

"no point going down, theres no highlighted stars"

or the most common one...

"it's 5 highlighted stars it's going to be sick"
BanthamBoy

Postby qxzsilver » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Poo Stance wrote:It's a bit hard to explain so I hope I get this right.

a - Paddle out further

So what's the answer to the question? I'm guessing it's C?
qxzsilver

Return to Surf Science