Tides

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

Tides

Postby heliocreative » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:45 am

I have a local report that I do and am having problems keeping the tides updated and best I can tell MSW seems to have the most accurate tidal predictions for my area. What I don't understand is where does the data come from? NOAA doesn't have it, I've installed Xtide on my server and its close but still not as good as MSW...so what's the deal. Im not competing with MSW --- well sort of not -- mine is mostly for eye witness type reports but every day I get an e-mail where are the tides where are the tides. I can pick up my newspaper and get the tides I would think this is easily accessible information but has been a bigger challenge than I thought.
heliocreative

Re: Tides

Postby wigsy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 am

You got a tide table for your local area? years worth of tide times in one little book..
wigsy

Re: Tides

Postby DJ1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:36 pm

check out [url]easytide.ukho.gov.uk[/url] its what the tide tables are based on, or as wigsy says, get a tidetable for your area.

Bear in mind that for every millibar deviation in atmospheric from 1013 mB (i think) the tide height will be lower or higher by 1cm than predicted - that may be too much detail though....
DJ1

Return to Surf Science