Surfing for amputees

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

Surfing for amputees

Postby c_elwyn » Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 am

Hey guys and gals,

im training to be a prosthetist, and i'm trying to write a thesis on the science of surfing, and what would be needed to best accomplaish the job if you were a below knee amputee, Does anyone know of any good information on the basic positions of surfing, has it been studied much? also if anyone is an amputee on here it would be awesome if you got in touch, i can give you some more info on me if you need it!

lol not that ive leftitlate you understand but i only have this week to do this! lol
c_elwyn

Re: Surfing for amputees

Postby Monkey_Alan » Tue May 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Theres a few posters on here who seem to have had there brains amputated (you know who you are.... ;) )

Dont know of any leg amputees who surf but there is a surfer called Bethany Hamilton who still surfs (pretty good from what I have heard) after losing an arm to a shark attack a couple of years ago. Dont see any obvious reason why you couldnt surf with a false leg
When the shit goes down, you better be ready....
Monkey_Alan

Postby Jimmo » Wed May 19, 2010 12:02 pm

There's a guy gets in my local who lost a hand and surfs with a wooden prosthetic - his boards are modded with a foot strap up near the right hand rail and he hooks his wooden hand under it when he pops up: still don't know how he does it tbh. Otherwise bodyboarding is more compatible with what you're after.
Jimmo

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed May 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Jimmo wrote:There's a guy gets in my local who lost a hand and surfs with a wooden prosthetic - his boards are modded with a foot strap up near the right hand rail and he hooks his wooden hand under it when he pops up: still don't know how he does it tbh. Otherwise bodyboarding is more compatible with what you're after.

^^^ He's a cheating bastard then :roll:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby danny1 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:30 pm

ive seen two seperate articles on this in the past...think one was about a local in indo with one leg...and anotehr was some poor fella from cali. i am sure if you use google for just 30 secs you will find the stories....actullay let me wipe your arse for you

first search: http://www.ampsurf.org/
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Monkey_Alan » Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:
Jimmo wrote:There's a guy gets in my local who lost a hand and surfs with a wooden prosthetic - his boards are modded with a foot strap up near the right hand rail and he hooks his wooden hand under it when he pops up: still don't know how he does it tbh. Otherwise bodyboarding is more compatible with what you're after.

^^^ He's a cheating bastard then :roll:

Yeh what a shit! Fancy chopping one of your hands off just to get a competitive edge on the line-up :lol:
When the shit goes down, you better be ready....
Monkey_Alan

Return to Surf Science