4 stars with an 12mph onshore wind?

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

4 stars with an 12mph onshore wind?

Postby jimmynitcher » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Perranporth has a prediction tomorrow of 4 dark stars, I can understand the swell direction, height and period look very good but surely this is all academic with the 12-14mph onshore wind, don't understand how this can be - any thoughts?

thanks

j
jimmynitcher

Re: 4 stars with an 12mph onshore wind?

Postby Black » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Surf it and see.
Black

Postby jimmynitcher » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:50 am

So you are in there now are you? Shall I call the helicopter?

just trying work out why everyone round here calls it magic bullshit
jimmynitcher

Postby Black » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:15 pm

They are trying to predict the future, this requires a bit of magic and a bit of bullshit. :wink:
Black

Postby jimmynitcher » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:40 am

OK fine, but I'm not trying to be facetious -Magic Seaweed is in the surf prediction business after all and again today we have 4 stars which reflects the direction of the wind and the swell size but not the speed of the wind which is noted by the site accurately (28mph!), so why the stars - it's blowing a gale for god's sake!?
I was hoping to get an answer from somebody who knows something about how the stars are calculated, because it's doesn't seem to be using it's own information effectively.
4 stars - staying in, again
jimmynitcher

Postby Black » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:38 pm

it's blowing a gale for god's sake!?
Yes, where I live on top of a hill it is grey, blowing hard made worse by the sound in the trees & as I put my board in the car a little voice in my head said "what the hell are you doing?" - I shot that thought between the eyes & you should do the same with those thoughts that stop you going surfing. I went to (sunny) Fistral just to look & decide what shelter to head to but with head high clean mechanical peeling waves to be had I stayed there. Now grab your board & get out somewhere while the afternoon is young, it is 4stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Black

Return to Surf Science