Wax on/ wax off

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

Wax on/ wax off

Postby shinyshiny » Tue May 03, 2011 5:17 am

Because I'm in Indo right now I got a tropical wax job on my board. I'm headed to England in a bit and will obviously need to do a switch to cold water wax but I was wondering if I need to bother with completely cleaning the tropical wax off? I heard somewhere that a tropical wax basecoat under a good layer of cold water wax is a winning combo, but conversely I've heard many people refute that.

Would be good to hear your thoughts because ideally I don't want to get rid of this beaut of a bumpy wax job just yet.
Thanks.
shinyshiny

Re: Wax on/ wax off

Postby luisspellcast » Tue May 03, 2011 6:27 pm

i usually de-wax before going to portugal for surf and de-wax again a couple weeks later when i'm back in ireland

i'll be following as i'd be curious as well-- i guess i never really bothered much to try it
luisspellcast

Postby henryg » Wed May 04, 2011 12:01 am

I think a hard base layer of warm water wax is the way forward especially during the summer when your top coat might go a bit soft in the sun.
henryg

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed May 04, 2011 10:37 am

'kin surf and see what happens :roll:
ATTMFKH

Postby helston90 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:16 pm

I'd leave it on when you got back and just put the cool/cold water stuff onto it.

I always give a tropical wax layer to start with on my log and my shortboard- the softer stuff then goes on easier and lasts longer- plus if you wear out your cold water stuff on a longer surf you've still got the tropical wax which won't come off as easily in these waters.
helston90

Postby monkeystyle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:17 pm

I just keep loading it up not worrying about which season and comb the hell out of it... eventually I get sick of it, leave it in the sun then scrap it all off, clean the entire board with methylated spirits and re wax. My board then thinks we are friends again and performs like a dream... that's also when I find all of my unfixed dings!
I was called off a wave by a hipster who looked like Leo Sayer... whats with the ironic moustache look?
monkeystyle

Postby helston90 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:45 pm

And if you're anything like me you find the weight of your board goes down by several kilos taking off what turns out to be nearly a fist size blob of wax. :lol:
Three most important things in life: Surf, surf and surf!
helston90

Postby monkeystyle » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:02 pm

So right might go and do it now! magic spring day here in Sydney - board shorts and wetsuit top for the early, water warming up probably 19 degrees now and bright blue skies.
I was called off a wave by a hipster who looked like Leo Sayer... whats with the ironic moustache look?
monkeystyle

Return to Surf Science