A Really Stupid Question

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

A Really Stupid Question

Postby The Thinker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:45 am

May I ask a really stupid question?
Well, another one!

Why does a board travel forwards?
I understand trim and balance and I'm fairly sure center of gravity is involved, but is there a explanation (that can be phrased simply) that explains the relationship between the leveling of the board, the place you stand and the resulting direction of travel?

For the life of me I can't come up with one.

Claerly an unriden board will turn side on in the surf or simply be passed by the wave. The rider needs to be forward of the boards centre of axis but too far forward and the nose dives. The axis of turning is in three dimensions / directions but the center of gravity is a point (albeit it a constantly changing one). I assume that there must be an area / sector of the axis's that the centre of gravity must be in (or within certain bounds) in order for a forward direction to be maintained.

If I am the only person who worries about this stuff please feel free to quietly ignore me :-)

TT
The Thinker

Re: A Really Stupid Question

Postby Philchapman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:09 pm

I think you might be looking for the "sweet spot". Find the sweet spot, and it will all make sense.
Human beings have yet to see the true value of the sweet spot.
The sweet spot is the Dao. :wink:
Philchapman

Postby The Thinker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks Phil,

I know' where' the sweet spot is, what I have become (mildly) obsessed with it 'Why'.

There must be a relationship between balance and momentum. At some point the center of gravity must pass a point that determines whether the board tracks forward or stalls.

I find this swimming in my mind thats all.

TT
The Thinker

Postby Philchapman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:12 am

I like the question. As to "why".... well I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to come up with any kind of scientifc/mathematical formula that fits all people on all boards on all waves, or even one person on one board on one wave. Too many variables to calculate. I could be wrong about that though.
Any thoughts where to start???...... Rider weight, board weight, board shape, wind direction and strength, wave power/steepness (including height and wave interval), rider positioning on the wave, what you had for breakfast.... etc., etc....
I'm happy enough with "catch the wave as it breaks, fall forward with gravity, lean left or right to turn".
That, and "try not to fall off".
Philchapman

Postby Black » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am

I seem to remember a surfing film that shows a blackboard full of equations and it says something like; it takes a whole blackboard of equations to describe what a surfer does by instinct.
So even though you may find some formulas, it really doesn't help you surf, that has to be done by feel. As Phil says, catch, turn, don't fall and enjoy!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philchapman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Aha.... I just "Knew" it had something to do with angular momentum! :lol:
http://mag.digitalpc.co.uk/Olive/ODE/ph ... w=ZW50aXR5
The key phrase that stuck out at me was "unconscious masters" in the last paragraph. Thing is, we don't "know" the ins and outs of it intellectually, and if we tried to work it out when surfing we'd fall. Instinct and unconscious processes seem to play a large part in "how" we surf, know how to adjust weight/move our feet to keep in trim, etc. All interesting stuff though!
Philchapman

Return to Surf Science