Bumped my brand new board!! HELP

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

Bumped my brand new board!! HELP

Postby steveouk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm such a careless idiot.

Just bought a brand new 5ft 10 board, was applying it's first waxing, flipped it around and knocked the nose on my ceiling and heard something fall off and hit my floor. It's a tiny tiny crack on the nose with a very small hole which could potentially let water and is pretty weak.

I would normally just whack a nose cone on but it's a fairly wide nose and it might not fit. You think maybe a dab of that sun repair ding stuff would work? It's not worth taking back to the shaper for.

Just wondering what you guys would do?

Thanks!

Steven
steveouk

Re: Bumped my brand new board!! HELP

Postby Philshoz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Take it back and demand a FULL refund
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Chris F » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:26 pm

solarez should be fine. make sure there's no wax in though, or water for that matter. And it needs a good sunny day to cure, i guess a UV lamp would do.
Chris F

Postby steveouk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Just ordered a nose cone that should fit.

It's the Fourth Doofer board so it has a fairly wide nose and most nosecones I've seen are fairly pointy and thin.

It seems that if this is how I treat a brand new surfboard, then things can only get worse for it so a nosecone might save a few more stupid bumps that I'm bound to give it.

It's a good job I don't have kids.....
steveouk

Postby Philshoz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Thought about starting a thread about this when I was in Cornwall last week.

Damaging a board first time out or not even wet.

I smashed the nose on a brand new board at low tide Croyde many moons ago, wasn't happy and neither was Mrs Shoz.

The best was when staying with a mate in West Oz who had been eying up a longboard in a shop/cafe in Yallingup. Every weekend he would drool over it, trying to convince himself and his wife he could afford it/ needed it. Eventually forked out the dosh, went over to the rack, took it it out and connected with the ceiling fan. The board was hanging in space slowly turning round as we all looked on flabbergasted, a board not even out of the shop.................. :oops: :shock: :lol:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Black » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:21 pm

If you knock the tip of your board just before a surf, suck on it to see if you can suck air out. If you can't you're ok to surf.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby henryg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Hahahaha that's a classic.

I had a shiny new board that I took to Portugal with me a few years ago and was amazed to find that it was completely intact upon its arrival (I've never had much luck with airlines). I handed it to my girlfriend so I could sort the bag out to put it away again and she looked at it, held it up and said, "Oooh, this one's nice!" then inexplicably dumped it down tail first with a good crunch. The swallow tail didn't absorb the impact well.
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby steveouk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this!!!

I've been staring at the damn thing for days, occasionally picking it up like it was made of paper, careful not to even grip it too hard.

Decide to wax it and I smash it on my ceiling. It's a VERY tiny crack and the more I look at it, the less I'm worried.

I think the nose cone idea will be best but to double it up, I'll whack that ding repair stuff on it first.

Anyone else been an absolute nobhead like myself?
steveouk

Return to Surf Science