the age old debate: quads vs thrusters

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

the age old debate: quads vs thrusters

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:37 pm

i've been mulling this one over for a while, why are quads faster than thrusters? logic dictates that because you have an extra fin you will have extra drag right? i know they produce lots of drive but i've heard people say time and time again that they have less drag and that doesn't make sense to me
is it something to do with the flow of water off the front fins reducing the drag of the rear fins?
Tomdiddlybomb

Re: the age old debate: quads vs thrusters

Postby JayP » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:18 pm

Its a mystery

(Great name btw.)
JayP

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:37 am

for all those interested I found/figured out the answer; surfboards are designed to channel water along their length and out the back through the middle, because there is less water being channelled close to the rails, those fins cause less drag. so obviously if all your fins are close to the rails you have less interruption to your water flow, and if you have a big upright bastard fin sat in the way you're gonna have one slow board until you put it on rail 8)
which makes me wonder why it isn't more common use a smaller trailing fin and bigger side fins? I've just bought some fcs mr-tx twins with a little trailer and if my thruster wasn't glass-on they wouldn't have gone on my twin fin at all :lol:
also why do most people insist on riding a thruster for barrel riding which is essentially going straight? you'd be able to make longer more insane barrels with a quad with less drag
anyway, I'd be interested to hear any more thoughts on the debate, I need to decide what to go for in my next shortboard
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Leven » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:34 am

Tomdiddlybomb wrote:
also why do most people insist on riding a thruster for barrel riding which is essentially going straight? you'd be able to make longer more insane barrels with a quad with less drag

Did you see the Pipemasters? A LOT of the Pro's were on Quads....
Leven

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Leven wrote:
Tomdiddlybomb wrote:

Did you see the Pipemasters? A LOT of the Pro's were on Quads....

yeah true, I think quads are pretty soon going to overtake thrusters (if they haven't already :lol: )
it seems to make sense because you can change the ride that bit more to suit the conditions, so if you want control you can have it, and if you want speed and looseness you can definitely have it... I think the only reason thrusters are still used at all is because people are used to them and how they ride
I've only owned one thruster and it's just no fun to turn at all, it's got glass on fins that are too big and it just doesn't work, bring on the quad revolution :-D
Tomdiddlybomb

Return to Surf Science