epoxy or polyester ding repair?

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

epoxy or polyester ding repair?

Postby pod » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:28 pm

Hello,

How can I tell if a board is polyester resin or epoxy? I ask because Ding All seem to do different repair kits for each type. It's my mate's board that's got a nasty crack in it. I reckon my board's poly - it's a clear coat of glassy resin over a foam core. The board with the crack, however, has a more opaque white outer layer - maybe not as plasticy looking as the nsp/bic boards (it's a Circle One) but it doesn't look the same as mine.

Any advice anyone? Does it indeed matter that much which repair kit to use?

thanks,

pod.

ps. is it gonna be massive this weekend or what?
pod

Postby claireabella » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:32 pm

pod, having only done one or two rather rushed jobs on my own board and having just used the kit handed to me, I would like to guess, but I'm sure if I bump this back to the top someone will give you a proper answer pretty soon. :D

oh, and good luck!
claireabella

Postby hughesy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:34 pm

I would have thought that kind of stuff would have been discussed at the time of purchase. If not why not ring whoever the board was bought from and ask them.
hughesy

Postby pod » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:51 pm

thanks, (i was beginning to loose all faith in this forum),

anyway i've since found some useful info on surfboard construction here:-
http://www.croyde-surf-cam.com/surfboard-guide.htm
and some useful stuff on ding repair here:-
http://jfmill.home.comcast.net/dings/dingdex.html

I might go and talk rot in the General section like everyone else now.
Later.
pod.
pod

Postby ow3n » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:40 pm

basically, if you can see a stringer through the glass it's probably polyester, due to the extensive bagging and forming processes on epoxy boards you can't see anything of the construction from the outside. Do they even have stringers? who knows?
ow3n

Postby johnnyb » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:53 pm

Epoxy resin can be used on polyester/polyurethane boards fine (ding putty is epoxy based). But ding repair kits for polyester/polyurethane boards (the resin+catalyst ones) contain styrene and will melt the EPS foam that epoxy boards tend to be made of. So if you don't know be sure and use epoxy. See some horrors with normal ding repair and epoxy/EPS boards-eaten away inside...eek.
johnnyb

Re: epoxy or polyester ding repair?

Postby orangewine6 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:38 pm

:p :p :p 8) 8)

Hi guys thanks for the suggestion that you give that's very kind and helpful!!!!

credit card

credit card application

Thanks and regards
orangewine6

Postby grawp » Thu May 13, 2010 6:31 pm

If you sand a little bit of it then polyester tends to smell of, well, polyester, whereas epoxy doesn't really smell. Personally I use epoxy to repair everything from a teacup upwards. Great stuff.
grawp

Postby Monkey_Alan » Fri May 14, 2010 10:02 am

MSW in action! There you go pod - ask a question on here and your still getting answers 5 years later :lol:
When the shit goes down, you better be ready....
Monkey_Alan

Postby pod » Fri May 14, 2010 3:40 pm

Yeah :-) I was quite ammused when i got a mail to tell me that the thread I was apparently still watching had got a response.

This was in fact my first post on MSW and I was also ammused to see that even then I was soon having doubts about the forum.

Anyway, cheers grawp. The board got patched up with something but it rarely gets wet anymore unfortunately.

My main concern now is why I'm still so shit at surfing if I've really been at it this long :? .
pod

Postby Monkey_Alan » Sun May 16, 2010 5:33 pm

pod wrote:My main concern now is why I'm still so shit at surfing if I've really been at it this long :? .

Dream on grommit, Ive been at it 20yrs and still utterly shite :lol:
When the shit goes down, you better be ready....
Monkey_Alan

Postby davebrads » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:35 am

A very old thread, but I have only just joined so that's my excuse

I have a background in canoe slalom, repairing boats is something we have to live with so I have a bit of experience of repair work on composite lay-ups.

Basically the answer is to use Epoxy. Epoxy sticks to pretty much anything, wheras Polyester won't stick to an Epoxy lay-up. Also Epoxy is much easier to work with, and worth the extra expense for the extra peace of mind of knowing that the repair is going to work.
davebrads

Postby Rickyroughneck » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:46 pm

davebrads wrote:A very old thread, but I have only just joined so that's my excuse

I have a background in canoe slalom, repairing boats is something we have to live with so I have a bit of experience of repair work on composite lay-ups.

Basically the answer is to use Epoxy. Epoxy sticks to pretty much anything, wheras Polyester won't stick to an Epoxy lay-up. Also Epoxy is much easier to work with, and worth the extra expense for the extra peace of mind of knowing that the repair is going to work.

This, only issue is that epoxy isn't as resistant to UV. Anyone have a solution for that?
Rickyroughneck

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:01 am

Rickyroughneck wrote:
davebrads wrote:A very old thread, but I have only just joined so that's my excuse

This, only issue is that epoxy isn't as resistant to UV. Anyone have a solution for that?

surf at night :roll:
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:02 pm

or in Scotland.

Same thing really, light wise.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:59 pm

^^^ winter yes , summer no - if you've got the shoulders you can surf for 19hrs on the North Coast in a day
ATTMFKH

Postby Veos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 am

Anyone got any good websites for surfboard repairs/build equipment and materials that you'd rate, as in good prices and good equipment selection?
Veos

Return to Surf Science