WindGuru vs MagicSeaweed

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

WindGuru vs MagicSeaweed

Postby RodMunch » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:09 pm

How come WindGuru can always get the wind spot on and Magicseaweed is always so wrong?
RodMunch

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:01 pm

See I've been pondering this... the Data MSW uses for wind is often slightly off. usualy on the wind speeds rather then directions.

WG seem to have a more consistant breakdown and interpretation of the data. Great for using in conjunction withthe spot on open sea swell projections.
With 73% of the planet under water perhaps Earth should be re-named Ocean
PapaWoolacombe

Postby Bigjohn » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:44 am

Windguru and weatheronline both seem to have been very good recently. Do they both use similar prediction software?
Met office wind prediction has been way off in our area recently. I know that they always give "worst case"scenario forecasts but the directions have been all over the place as well.
Magic SW wind forecasts seem to be more accurate than the met but less acurate than windguru :roll:
......Rubber Duck this is Pig Pen, I'm gonna put the hammer down..........

Bigjohn

Postby Bigjohn » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:46 pm

Do you keep any kind of record of accuracy? It would be cool to be able to compare different sites to see how well they did. I suspect that it would depend on location.

BTW Ben, did you hear the bang on sunday morning? One of my drivers from your neck of the woods heard it.

Bigjohn

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:48 pm

Its always good to have a seltion of sources for sure... Still loving the swell data prediction./ With my personal spot formulas its always spot on :)

Anyone used XC Weather? for wind?
PapaWoolacombe

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:05 am

ben wrote:Bear in mind that *most* non-pay or non governmental forecasts are based directly on the same data set (the GFS) so MSW, Windguru, XC Weather, Metcheck will all be the same. .
Is there room for variation in the way that the data is interpreted by different sites? Does this account for the slight variations?

Bigjohn

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:37 am

Yeah thats more what I was wondering, it just didn't ocme out right :p
PapaWoolacombe

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:48 pm

Aye that makes sence... tbh I use MSW mainly for swell data as I said. Cause wind is a major factor on spots round here I use XC weather and Windguru for wind purly cause they've got the hourly breakdown based on RAF Vally area (slap bang in the middle of the main spots)

If its means its more accurate then it means I get better surf :D and spend less driving around.
PapaWoolacombe

Postby Bigjohn » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:19 am

I think that it's all a question of finding the right forecast for your area.
A couple of years ago in my area the met office was spot on and wind guru was crap, now the situation seems to have been reversed.
I always think that if windguru and the metoffice agree then there is a good chance that the forecast is accurate. This approach works well for longrange forecasts.

Bigjohn

Postby jago25_98 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:13 pm

This was what my post on problems with magicseaweed was about but I didn't know it at the time.

Turns out other people were checking wind separately and so they didn't understand or notice what I was talking about, hence the ridiculous thread. I was just unlucky that it effected me a few times in a row.

Since then I'm checking wind separately. The last major error I seen on MSW wind was about 4 months ago now but that's because I've been using MET wind.

Will definately keep and eye on MSW wind as well now.
jago25_98

Return to Surf Science