Board Manufacturing

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

Board Manufacturing

Postby Sqweezie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:56 am

Hey all, I'm doing A Level Science at the moment (the joy) and we have to relate science to different industries, of course I've chosen to do surfing in some sort of way. The manufacturing of surfboards would be the best thing for me to do as oppose to the science in technique ect.
Anyone have any advice on which company or brand to research, of even know anything about it themselves, like work in the industry? Or even preferences in size, shape, ect and why? Would be a great help guys and any info would be much appriciated.

S x x
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you're an idoit than open it and remove any doubt - Mark Twain
Sqweezie

Postby Banana_man » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:13 pm

well nobody else has replied so i'll make a start... :P

I'd do an 'old VS new' type scenario - compare a traditional type manufacturer to a new company such as tufflite.. that way you can:
-highlight the pro's and con's of each (cheap/expensive/durability/performance etc...)
-show how technology has evolved over time (lighter/stronger plastics as well as machine shaping in place of hands etc...)
-use environmental issues to beef it up and get another aspect (Clarke foam factory closure in Cali)
-show the effects on local industry/business (who profits/looses)
-blag a surf trip to do a survey (yeah right :wink: just go surfing!) - ask people which type they would prefer and why etc...

Once you have the basics you could probably print the rest off the net, obviously I wouldn't dream of doing this sort of thing for coursework :roll: :D
Cawabunga dude!
Banana_man

Postby navier-stokes » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:20 pm

there is some discussion about this in the latest surfers path......

Sqweezie, also what is the scope of your project...I mean there is alot of science that goes on in the whole surfboard building industry.....one example would be:

different types of resins, why some are prefered others not.... (for surfing people tend to like cosmetically clear resins, with relativly good strength ratios that are compatiable with polyester foam ( traditional board building)...now with the closeure of clark there is a growing market for the use of various epoxy resins with either polyester foam or polystyer foam...

people are also looking to use carbon fiber more and more.....

basiacally the desiign critea for most hight performance shortboards is lighter and stronger..... maaterial science research at it's best.... looking through the sawylocks archives could dig up some interesteing dicsuions about why one material over another.... good luck.
navier-stokes

Postby Sqweezie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Cheers guys, great help.
Basically Im gonna say why they're certain shapes for different types of surfing, ie for buoyancy if you;re a learner ect, then explain the process of making a board and about the materials. I've got to mention everyone who plays a part in making it, so basically the guys working the machines or if they're hand made whoever works on them sortta thing. And I've also gottah touch on the health and safety aspect of the manufacturing process.

Banana_man, thanx, that sounds like a kool structure I could adapt to.... like the surf trip plan, have to see what I can blag... not promising though.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you're an idoit than open it and remove any doubt - Mark Twain
Sqweezie

Postby surfgirl1971 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:25 am

Sqweezie,

I have just read your message and wanted to get in touch to see how you are getting on with your project. I work in the surfing industry and thought that if we had a chat I might be able to help you out. If you still need any assistance please email me at info@resin8.com.au

Cheers...Surf Girl
surfgirl1971

Postby surfgirl1971 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:31 pm

ps: would love to read the report if you have already completed it!
surfgirl1971

Return to Surf Science