Detailed nearshore charts Vs detailed surf reports.

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

Detailed nearshore charts Vs detailed surf reports.

Postby captain boycott » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:49 pm

Hi there,
I was looking at the surf reports for north wales and on the detailed nearshore charts, it looks ok for Hells mouth all day tomorrow, but the detailed surf report is saying the offshore winds are going to blow out the swell by the afternoon....
Which one should I believe?
I dont want to set off because it looks good in the morning only to find that it is flat by the time i get there.
What does anybody think are the chances of a glassy little wave at the mouth tomorrow?
Cheers for any replies, the more opinions the better.
captain boycott

Postby captain boycott » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:53 pm

Now it just looks shit. I think i will stay in bed.
captain boycott

Postby captain boycott » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:59 pm

detaied nearshore forecast still looks OK though .... surf report is shit...
why is that?
captain boycott

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:41 am

Hey Captain - sounds like you'd give Gollum a good run for his money......prreccciouussss :lol: :lol: :lol: [/quote]
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby captain boycott » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:55 pm

Nearshore forecast came up trumps. That thing is seriously usefull for N Wales beaches.
God bless MSW.
captain boycott

Postby swiggy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:12 pm

what was it like then captain? im in manchester till easter weekend, hoping to get a wave in, pretty gutted its gone flat after then super-consistent winter mates have been telling me about. maybe saturday, cant see anything this week
swiggy

Postby captain boycott » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:41 am

The banks seem to be be really sweet at the moment. A few different peaks to choose from, some nice slow peeling waves and some quicker punchier waves too. It was flat when we set off but by the time we got there, there was some nice 3ft sets coming in, and the offshore breeze made them super clean, even hollow ot times. It may have been small but it was well worth it. Hoping for some similar conditions this weekend, I might even find somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay and do sat and sun if it looks decent.
captain boycott

Postby swiggy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:29 am

3ft sets? i should have gone. didnt look that good on charts or webcam. damn. glad you got some waves, may see you out at the weekend then, ill be riding a JP shortboard with flames and a purplish monster sort of thing, pretty distinctive, say hello if you see me. altho im guessing HM on a small clean weekend day gets pretty busy.
swiggy

Postby captain boycott » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:18 pm

3ft as in feet and inches, not some crazy hawaiian measure! :-)
Was quiet last week because a lot of people thought it was flat. It does get pretty busy but there are plenty of peaks to choose from.
Hope its decent this weekend, maybe see you there. I ll be on my new magic carpet (with the silver duct tape on :roll: )
captain boycott

Postby Ferral » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:30 pm

umm is it just me or is the nearshore forecast not working today?
Ferral

Postby swiggy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:06 pm

even so, 3ft clean faces in the sun would have been a hell of a lot better than sitting on my arse, bored out my mind and typing shit into this forum. no offense meant to anybody who would rather be on here than actually sufing. :lol:

and iain, doesnt work for me either
swiggy

Postby captain boycott » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:14 pm

Same scenario as last week, surf report says flat, detailed nearshore forecast says there will be waves..... My money is on there being waves.
captain boycott

Postby swiggy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:26 pm

well i suppose there were waves at HM in a sense of the word. i.e. very small and pretty weak waves. definately more of a longboarding day, but it was a bit of fun first thing, (not in front of the carpark :wink: ) some pretty long lefts, holding up nicely. went pretty much flat at lunch with the tide, i stuck around all afternoon but it was still flat. you get any capn?

lovely and warm in the sun too, jeeesus all you wales and SW surfers are spoilt. no hood or gloves for me, 4hr sesh too
swiggy

Postby captain boycott » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:14 pm

Glad to hear you got a few. The only thing i managed to get was a tan 8) .
Nice weather we've been getting, the sea is such a nice colour in the sun.
Deffo no gloves needed.
captain boycott

Postby North Devon Lad » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:54 am

Lovely water temp now. Gloves are now packed away in the garage. Get rid of the boots bring on the summer suit!!! - Ok maybe getting a bit carried away :lol:
http://gregnormansurfer.blogspot.com/
www.blackandwhitesurfcoltd.co.uk
www.tikisurf.co.uk
www.elusivesurf.com
www.obsessive-disorder.com
North Devon Lad

Return to Surf Science