Calling all UK surfers

Looking for a lift to the beach? Got a car and fancy a help with petrol costs? Just want to bump into a few folk heading in the same direction?

Calling all UK surfers

Postby idaniel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to this forum and the purpose of my first post is to give a quick intro about myself and seek companionship (don't take it the wrong way thought :-D ).

My name's Daniel, I was born and raised in the Czech Republic and believe it or not, I actually surf. Here's the low-down. I don't have a lot of experience with ocean surfing, but I do with oceans. I dive and I swim even in surf... and so far I haven't drowned. Plus I spent a few weeks body boarding in Italy a couple of years back, but I am fairly experienced and competent River Surfer. I am a local at a near-by spot and consider myself a solid river surfer. I'm also a fairly confident flowboarder, being a part-time instructor at a local flowboard arena in Prague. I also wakeboard, snowboard, ski and telemark.
I'm not writing this post to brag or anything, I'm just trying to find a few people that might be willing to show me around a few UK surf spots, rip with me and have some fun :).

The fact of the matter is that there aren't that many surfers in my country and it's bloody hard to find people willing to travel somewhere just for the sake of good waves, they usually want to jet somewhere warm and have surfing as a one-off thrill. But I don't and I don't mind colder water.

I'm interested in the UK surf scene because I know the language well and can't really imagine looking for french surfers willing to not only show me around but also speak English with me :roll:

So if there's anyone on this forum interested in a few laughs, drop me a line. I was planning to drop by the UK for an extended weekend sometime in late September, or mid-August. I have my own boards and would find accommodation depending on the location of the spots anyone might suggest.

Cheers,
Daniel.
idaniel

Re: Calling all UK surfers

Postby Chris F » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:46 am

Can't fault your English, that's for sure. Better than most locals.

Unlikely Scotland will be your first choice of destination, but if it happens to be, give me a shout.
Chris F

Postby Black » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am

Yeah if you are heading to Cornwall I may be about although I'm away around October. I think there are quite a few Czechs around these parts too, some may even surf!

PS Actually I have a Czech friend (non surfer) who may know some Czech surfers here. I'll ask him but I have just finished a glass of wine and usually don't remember stuff I post on here subsequently. :oops:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby idaniel » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for the replies, so far, guys.

I've read that surfing up in Scotland is pretty good, but I'd assume that the water must be bloody cold.
But hey, I might make my way up there. I was usually checking flights around London, but is there any near-by airport I could checkout?

Sport around Cornwall and Devon were my best bet since they're in driving distance from London.
So if you have any suggestions, or perhaps you're planning a trip somewhere specific, that I could tag along with :).

P.S. Thanks for complimenting my English skills :D, definitely wasn't expecting to hear praise about that... :D

Daniel.
idaniel

Postby idaniel » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Chris F wrote:Can't fault your English, that's for sure. Better than most locals.

Unlikely Scotland will be your first choice of destination, but if it happens to be, give me a shout.

Hi Chris,

thanks for the compliment, mate. I have heard that Scotland has some great waves, but honestly never fathomed the idea of heading there.
Is there an airport nearby where I could check connections?
Is the water bearable? Or is it just too bloody cold for a 5/4 wetsuit?

I'm really interested in good waves, don't really care much about weather, crowds or temperature, as long as I don't die of hypothermia :D.

Thanks for the info so far.

Daniel.
idaniel

Postby roberdy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:55 am

Apologies mate, busy week last week and was on a stag weekend out of Brissy all weekend, back now, liver on life-support and brain in a handbasket. Situation normal really.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:36 pm

idaniel wrote:
thanks for the compliment, mate. I have heard that Scotland has some great waves, but honestly never fathomed the idea of heading there.
Is there an airport nearby where I could check connections?
Is the water bearable? Or is it just too bloody cold for a 5/4 wetsuit?

I'm really interested in good waves, don't really care much about weather, crowds or temperature, as long as I don't die of hypothermia :D.

Thanks for the info so far.

Hi Daniel. To be honest, If you are heading for UK in September time and can avoid weekends, I would head for SW - Devon and Cornwall. Crowds can be avoided, swell is loads more reliable, setups are better, and it's much more geared up for surf tourism, and there is more of a surfing culture.

However

If I've not put you off, starting points would probably be Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Inverness, and you would do well to hire a car to get around.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:23 am

^ London - Glasgow - Kirkwall (Orkney) ......................... the rest is history
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Return to Ride Share