The Great Expanding AUCTION: Loads of Surf Gear + Extras!!!

Chuck a free advert in here for your old board, van, wetsuit or anything else and reach over 6500 registered surfers.

Re: AUCTION: Surfers paths / DVD's / for Timmy's Trust

Postby buttholesurfer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:05 am

ears wrote:Hey Poo Stance.. If i win the auction you can have seaworthy by making a donation to the trust... (I've already got a copy somewhere..) That goes for the anything else in that lot as well.

Also remember folks butthole needs as many copies of 110% surfing techniques as he can get.. :-)

Butthole needs your moon tail quad...that's what he needs! :wink: then I'd be 'stoked on your stoke'.
buttholesurfer

Postby ears » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:36 am

Ah but is it "the right board for these conditions... better have a word with Adrian about it"

The moontail is a blast i have to admit.. You are more than welcome to take it for a spin next time i'm down.. i can attempt to ride your pavel just to remind myself why i like midlengths!

Okay... So how about we start the auction again.. I am happy to donate the 50 quid... (i just looked at the amount of gear up for grabs and i sense bringing that lot home could be the straw that breaks the camels back.. she doesn't look like a camel but you know what i mean)

So lets start again and see if we can double the money... Okay with you griff?

Cheers - Ears
ears

Postby flacky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:33 am

OK, I'll chuck something in if it's appropriate. Nothing surf related, I don't have anything that I can offer really, but if it's of any interest to the winner, 500 business cards printed with a logo designed. If you don't need it, someone you know may... Any good?
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Chai Wallah » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:34 am

I will throw in £50 worth of the finest teas available a mix of leaf teas and tea bags. The package will include Assam, Darjeeling, earl grey and many international award winners.

Total value of package so far must be pushing £500
Chai Wallah

Postby seasofcheese » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 pm

I'll add a Christenson Surfboards T-Shirt and a Lance Carson T-Shirt and a lance Carson Sticker (Logo). I'll also add an 8" dolphin fin from fluid foils.

Rolling auction - what a great idea.....

One more incentive - We know a young man (17) Keiron who got out of hospital this week after the docs thought he wouldn't make it...he beat Pneumonia with zero white cells! Good Lad. He was due for a Bone Marrow transplant but this set him back. As you can tell he is on the 'bad' end of the Leukemia scale. He's a Man U supporter (we won't hold that against him) and we're organising a signed kit....this money will help him keep his chin up and get better. He's spent the best part of 4 months in hospital without going home and will be back there in a week or two for a further 6/8 months.

Thanks Griff and all who've have a pop at the prize so far...
seasofcheese

Postby flacky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Chai Wallah wrote:I will throw in £50 worth of the finest teas available a mix of leaf teas and tea bags.

You mean coffee?
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mister-griffster » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:10 pm

So lets start again and see if we can double the money... Okay with you griff?

That's outstanding! - Thanks Dom - a lovely gesture - so that's a £50 donation to the trust AND all the gear still up for auction!! - Rather than go from scratch I'll revert the bid back to the next highest bidder - so the bid stands at £40 from SST - and thanks to everyones outstanding gestures the list grows longer!! - Whether surf or non-surf related any addition to the auction is really appreciated ,and will be of use to someone - so great idea guys! - I'll also chuck in a bespoke website with content management system and free hosting for a year, approx commercial value £1000

u]Mags[/u]
21 issues of Surfers Paths

DVD's
Be Cool Man
Seaworthy
State of play
Young Guns 3
Dane Reynolds- First Chapter
Melali- the Drifter Sessions
Searching for Michael Peterson
The Endless Summer
Thicker than water
Land of Saints
Billabong Odysey
Laird
100% Surfing Techniques

Clothing
Rip Curl Classic Logo Tee
Christenson Surfboards T-Shirt
Lance Carson T-Shirt

Surf Kit
Scarfini glass/honeycomb thruster fins
8" dolphin fin from fluid foils
Lance Carson Sticker (Logo)

Misc
500 business cards printed with a logo designed
Bespoke website with content management system and free hosting for a year, approx commercial value £1000
£50 worth of the finest teas available a mix of leaf teas and tea bags. The package will include Assam, Darjeeling, earl grey and many international award winners

As Tim so rightly reflects Kieron's story - your contributions can make a massive difference to so many lives, so keep those donations rolling...

Just an idea but anyone up for putting this auction on ebay? It may help to get it out to a wider audience and generate some more money and PR for the trust - if we get a majority of Yays v's Nays then I'll list it...
mister-griffster

Postby buttholesurfer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:58 pm

It's a good idea, but the stuff I've listed, would you want it sent to your address first, which I'm happy to do?
buttholesurfer

Postby tynemouthmatt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:19 pm

I'll bid £70

if/when i'm outbid i'll throw a driftwood handplane into the pot.
tynemouthmatt

Postby ears » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Fantastic!!! We've more than doubled it!!

( I think eBay is a great idea)

Good stuff msweeders :)
ears

Postby mister-griffster » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Grand stuff fellas - let's keep them doggies rollin'... :wink:

the stuff I've listed, would you want it sent to your address first, which I'm happy to do?

Good point Butthole - If we stick this on ebay then as long as you can take a photo of the goods and send that to me - then I can list with descriptions and pics etc then we can all fire out the stuff to the winning bidder - minimises endless cross-country journeys then - course, if you don't have the means to take a digital pic then by all means send the stuff to me and I'll take care of the rest - either way, simples!
mister-griffster

Re: The Great Expanding AUCTION: Loads of Surf Gear + Extras

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Just a thought that occurred to me on my third tumbler of whiskey last night - do you think opening this up as a raffle rather than an auction would be a good way of distributing the goods AND a potential way of raising some more cash?

The idea is we could sell 'tickets' via eBay at a pound a pop - you can buy as many tickets as you like - lets say we limit the number of tickets to a set figure, say 5000 for arguments sake - it means that everyone is in with a chance of winning (after all, we're generally a frugal bunch us surfers) and stand a good chance for an amount they can afford. We could issue virtual tickets on every purchase with unique numbers - then make the 'draw' via a randomiser to ensure absolute honesty. It may even be worth splitting the prizes into a 1st / 2nd / 3rd kinda thing so more chances that you'd get something....

Let me know your thoughts on this one - the way I see it, an auction is a great way of earning some cash for Timmy's Trust - but it's going to reach a natural ceiling unless we find some Bruce Wayne kinda benefactor - whereas a raffle means that everyone is more likely to contribute a donation they can afford and stand a chance of winning some gear. A lot of small donations may make a bigger total than a single bid??

What's everyones thoughts on this? Tynemouthmatt is the leading bidder, so in event of a tie he get's the final say - but if everyone thinks it's a better way to raise cash then I'll take care of what I can. If you think an auction is better then we'll stick with that.
mister-griffster

Postby Chai Wallah » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Great idea and might attract more corporate sponsors
Chai Wallah

Postby mal-nourished » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:00 pm

raffle works for me whats 1st prize the surfing techniques vid butthole is frothing over... :roll:
mal-nourished

Postby tynemouthmatt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:16 pm

I think the raffle is a great idea!

I'd still be happy to shape a driftwood handplane, it will have to be done later this year (oct/nov) as i'll be away working fairly soon (back start of oct) ......is that ok?
tynemouthmatt

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 pm

raffle works for me whats 1st prize the surfing techniques vid butthole is frothing over

First prize is 2 copies of 'surfing techniques' :lol:

I'd still be happy to shape a driftwood handplane, it will have to be done later this year (oct/nov)

That's cool Tynemouthmatt - as long as the winner gets it and we keep them informed then it's all dandy - I'm thinking of putting a years option on the website option myself - the winner may not have an idea right away, or may want it for personal or business use etc - so basically I will provide a redeemable voucher that they can call in at anytime. We can do the same for anything that has to be made - handplanes / tees/ boards etc

After all, the winner will be so busy watching 100% Surfing Techniques that they won't have much time to use anything else for a while :lol:
mister-griffster

Postby samiad66 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Thought I would join in the auction with the proceeds of my fin collection to this good cause please see this post,

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35210&p=385496#p385496
samiad66

Postby Matt Rose » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:42 am

Ill throw in a piece Droog did for me its on ply, its pretty big. Ill post a pic later.
Matt Rose

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:03 pm

It's getting like the comp at the end of the Gadget Show.

I'm frothing over some raffle tickets. No way I'll be able to afford the final auction price if it reaches it's true value and more. Surely a raffle is the way forward. This is turning into a monster that is surely too big for this forum alone.
Poo Stance

Postby flacky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Raffle is a top idea
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 pm

FINtastic *groan* stuff Samiad66... Ditto Matt - that's awesome! Stuff that's truly unique will certainly appeal to the collectors out there - great work everyone - getting truly humbled by the 'weeders generosity - keep it rolling guys...

This is turning into a monster that is surely too big for this forum alone.

Agreed Poo stance - this is growing nicely! We definitely have to open it up outside the forum - I'm getting the feeling that a raffle is the way to go - will give plenty of people an even chance of winning. It's also really important to generate some noise about the good work Timmy's Trust is doing, so circulating this among as many people as possible will do wonders for publicity. Chai wallah hit it on the head a while back - perhaps we can attract some corporate donations too by opening this up as a raffle? If anyone has any inroads to decision makers in any companies then perhaps we can get them on board too?

If anyone has any ideas on how best to divvy up the prizes then glad to hear them :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby Leven » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Raffle is the way forward. Simple Wordpress/blogging site or similar showing the prizes, pics etc. Everyone can then bang the link out through their own friends/Twatbook pages etc to make it even bigger!

Only thing is, who takes the money? How do we know all tickets etc are legit?! Could be £0000's....
Leven

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:41 pm

All good points Leven - I'm a web-developer by trade so getting a WP site in place is noooo problem - if everyone can promote it through their social media / blogs then that would be outstanding - best way of making something viral

As for legitimacy, I would intend sending an email with immediate confirmation of unique ticket numbers once a ticket/s are purchased (this will also act as a receipt) - as for the draw, then I would expect this to be done with 2-3 independent adjudicators present to verify the the process is honest and legit - of course, any other input / suggestions is greatly received!
mister-griffster

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Just a quick point - we could also set something up through the following http://rogavi.com/ or http://www.justgiving.com/ if anyone is concerned of the legitimacy - but I want to ensure that Timmy's Trust gets ALL of the proceeds and that no money goes to third parties if we can help it. I think a just giving page is vital but I've no experience with Rogavi - anyone else had experiences of using a third party for organising an online raffle?
mister-griffster

Postby Bearded Gimp » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:22 pm

i'm sure this guy would give you some pointers http://www.bearsdontwearwetsuits.com/
Bearded Gimp

Postby flacky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:25 pm

I'd suggest a limited amount of tickets, say 100. 5 quid a pop, all money sent however to yourself of timser, you the get a number, 1-100. The winning number is the first 3 lottery balls combined on a set date. That way, total impartiality... Complicated, yet devilishly simple. The charity gets 500 notes and one winner gets a boa load of shit that his wife will want moving from the dining room ASAP. 99 unfortunates lose a fiver. Meh...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:30 pm

^^^ sounds good. Until I get ticket number 1 :-(
Poo Stance

Postby seasofcheese » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:53 pm

This, my pedagree chums is a very classy idea. The work of Genius...

Thank you chaps. I'm going to call in a few favours in and see what goodies we can add. I have Tyler Warren sending me some art to auction and Gene Cooper is sending bits and bobs - sure these will be interesting to some...

On a sad note - a young lady 'Sophie' passed away this morning so our thoughts are with her perants and family. A truely special little soul...

Very proud of you chaps!
seasofcheese

Postby droog79 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 pm

i´ll throw in some artwork....will have a look for a print or original droogle when i´m not in hetic living out of bags mode- let me know who/how to do this Mr G (droog79(at)yahoo.co.uk)
Maybe it would be good to separate some of these things rather than one massive lot? raffle is a good idea for us folk who cant afford big bids...i dunno , just my 2p´s....& sorry if i´m repeating what others say havent read whole thread in detail.
Last edited by droog79 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE- I do! http://www.facebook.com/droog79
SPORADIC BLOG: http://www.droog79.blogspot.com/
droog79

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:29 pm

i'm sure this guy would give you some pointers http://www.bearsdontwearwetsuits.com/

Just goes to show what a knowledgeable web-developer can achieve when he lists something on ebay - will drop him a line for sure - tho we may be a little less reliant on humour for this one

i´ll throw in some artwork

nice one Droog - I'll Pm ya - may need some other input from you my friend...

Maybe it would be good to separate some of these things rather than one massive lot?

Yup - totally agree - this thing is swelling nicely - so think it's best to divvy up the prizes and spread the love - makes sure that everyone stands a better chance of winning something cool.

The winning number is the first 3 lottery balls combined on a set date.

So simple I got lost along the way... was following you all the way until the combinations old chap - I was thinking of utilising something like this tool... which you can enter your total number of tickets then press the button for a random result... generally used for online raffles etc http://www.random.org/ - I can even ask someone who is not related to the auction to perform the draw...

keep em all coming my luverlies...

On a sad note - a young lady 'Sophie' passed away this morning so our thoughts are with her perants and family. A truely special little soul...

Just to re-enforce - THIS is one of the reasons we have to get things done - so keep the contributions / input coming chaps - it's all GREATLY appreciated!
mister-griffster

PreviousNext

Return to For Sale