Guitar 2

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Guitar 2

Postby frameline » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:45 pm

Ahh, now a bit of creative finance has opened up my budjet to about £400, I was hoping to get a good used one, as I would prefer a nice played in second hand guitar than a cheaper new one. Now then - how do you all rate the Variax 500, seems to be a few about at my budjet and they are well reviewed, and I loved playing my mates, had a good action and I liked the balance,It may be a bit of a non purist fad but I really liked the way it could model other instruments....

What do you think, should I look elsewhere.
frameline

Postby jamblo » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:39 pm

what kind of pick ups does that thing have?

from what i see here: http://www.bananas.com/productdetail.asp/PID_1362 , it's not overly clear!

Fender recently released the USA Highway series. American quality with near-mexican prices. If I could afford it, I'd probably get a Fender Highway Telecaster:

which is a smidgen over your budget, but probably cheaper if you hunt around.

If you fancy second hand, there's always the Gibson Les Pauls. Oh, and I'd recommend giving Ibanez: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html a look!
jamblo

Postby CRISPY » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:07 pm

I've played one. Jack of all trades master of none. Has a few lovely acoustic simulators. Depends what you want really. To be honest I would go with whatever you feel comfortable playing. Les Paul, total classic rock guitar. Stick it through a good ol Marshall Valve amp, crank it up and F*uck me I’m in heaven. Well heavy though and not very practical for playing live all the time. If you want something with a low action and skinny neck for real riffing and lead work. Ibanez have always impressed me, but lack the mellower quality of a Les Paul for clean sounds and bluesy stuff. Amps have a huge effect on your sound as well. I see a lot of potentially good guitarist sound crap because they try too hard with too many effects and Gizmos, simulators etc. A cranked up VALVE amp (Marshall) a couple of stomp boxes and a quality guitar is all you need. I've been playing (properly) since I was 15 and 13 years later I have still yet to find a decent Simulator of a valve amp. I'm going on a bit now!! :oops:

I would say, think about what sort of guitarist you wanna be. Get in a shop and play some guitars dude!
8)

what kind of pick ups does that thing have?

It's a bit weird Jamblo, some kind of interface between the strings and other electronic stuff! It's supposed to simulate other guitars in sound (electronically) and does sound pretty close. Thing is it doesn't feel like the guitar it's emulating when your playing it.
CRISPY

Postby jamblo » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:23 pm

wow, that's pretty damn cool 8)
jamblo

Postby alec » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:31 pm

Definately go with Crispy's advice, a good Marshal valve amp cramked up is hard to beat. Spent years playing a Gibson SG through one + have the tinitus to prove it :D
Got the SG in the States pretty cheap + still regret getting rid of it.
alec

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)