driving

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

driving

Postby purpleandy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:33 pm

just been on a 4hr round trip to cayton. anyway, as i passed the millionth bell-end sat doiing 68 mph in the middle lane of the m62 for no apparent reason i thought i'd start a new thread - what really f**ks you off about other peoples driving??

go on - you know a good rant makes sense!!!!
CAMWA founding member - the campaign for warm ale. Bloody kiwis stick everything in the fridge........cold ale is just plain wrong.....
purpleandy

Postby Frosty » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:27 pm

people that try to get onto a roundabout just infront of u, then realise ooops, and slam their brakes on while trying to apologise to u, and idiots on phones, and people reading maps.
Frosty

Postby thedeadly » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:54 pm

good thread :D

normaly it would have been the middle lane **ssers - but since i moved to cornwall there seems to be a lack of 3 lane rds so it has to go to caravans, mops & tops

mops - Map Open, Parents Screaming
Tops - Tourists Obseving Passing Scenery

i must add that since i moved to cornwall i have noticed that people are much nicer and respectful to each other on the road - to the point where you can spot an emmet straight away because they don't wave a thanks when you pull over on a single track road for them

oh - and people on motorbikes with trainers on - just makes me cringe cos you know they'll lose their foot in a accident
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby Hokusai » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:02 pm

as i passed the millionth bell-end sat doiing 68 mph in the middle lane of the m62 for no apparent ...................

Have you tried to keep to the 70 MPH speed limit using the inside lane? On todays congested Motorways it just can't be done. Most of the 68 MPH'ers will probably belong to the criminal classes, ( people who have at least 3 points on their licience yes it's a criminal offence to drive over 70 MPH on a motorway), who can't afford to get caught again. To go into the inside lane means risking getting stuck behind a slow moving vehicle because of the poor lane disipline of the vast majority of drivers.Therefore the best option to move along at a decent speed and not risk a further fine and 3 points, is to do 68MPH in the middle lane. :wink:

PS. Personally I think the Government wants everyone to have a criminal record, even zero tolerance ex Robocop Ray Mallon has 3 points on his licience. :shock:
Hokusai

Postby purpleandy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:04 pm

ahhhh, you've hit no 2 on my list - tossers who don't say thank you!!!!! as for bikes (my normal transport) THE killer is when i'm filtering through traffic jams down the middle of the road and blokes (normally late 30's in mercs or beemers) see you in their mirrors and edge into the middle of the road so you can't get through. sad pathetic little dicked w@nkers.......
CAMWA founding member - the campaign for warm ale. Bloody kiwis stick everything in the fridge........cold ale is just plain wrong.....
purpleandy

Postby noodlehutt » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:22 pm

The tossers who cant say thank you unfortunately happens all over the country, its just a lack of manner!

As for middle lane drivers, it is perfectly possible to keep to the left hand lane and drive at 70 mph. All you have to do is concentrate and think far enough ahead, judging the speed of vehicles gaining on you, in front of you and giving a long enough indication. The amount of numb nuts that sit in the inside lane and have to slam on there brakes before they go into the back of a lorry because they're too dumb to think ahead, is scary!

As for for fricken lorry drivers, they are a menace to society, always on mobile phones, speeding in a very heavy hard to stop vehicle, who couldnt care less about other traffic and are the main cause of accidents on dual carriageways and motorways! Living around east anglia most of my life it is very noticable. :x

Then of course there are the numerous amount of wanna be rally drivers, people who think they are cool or for whatever reason feel the need to have front fog lights on! What is that all about?
noodlehutt

Postby Hokusai » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:49 pm

Illegal use of Foglights, you've hit a raw nerve there. How the F**K can you justify using Foglights on a bright moonlit night in the middle of a town or a lit motorway? :evil: :evil:
Hokusai

Postby purpleandy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:00 pm

before teaching i drove an ambulance and was given a days motorway training on lane discipline. it is perfectly possible to use the inside lane- it just involves concentration on the gaps in front of you, behind you and in lane 2.
bottom line is the highway code states that lane 2 is for overtaking, not sitting in at 65 mph cos you're too lazy to move or are incapable of reading traffic conditions!!!! i can understand it in the rush hour, but at 10am on a sun morning when there's nothing in the inside lane its truly inexcusable.
my next pet hate is 17 yr old max power tossers in £100 vauxhall novas with £500 quid alloys and a sound system that makes the world vibrate. why the f@ck do they try and race me on my bike at lights??? one of em pulled up next to me at the lights and shouted "yo geezer, what does you're bike do 60 in???" so i told him the truth "first gear mate" and he still wanted to try it. why take a shit little car, and tart it up to the point that its uninsurable? why not just by a fast car in the first place? jesus i must be getting old!!!
purpleandy

Postby blind » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:20 pm

Ass holes who forget to turn off the rear fog lights in the rain, or when its a little foggy they turn the bloody things on ,and you can see the cars in front quite well , its not as if they havent got a feckin great light on the dash to tell them :x
blind

Postby noodlehutt » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:20 pm

one of things i have alway loved about bikes is boy races and traffic lights, most cars for that matter :)

What about the people that sit at traffic lights constantly edging forward while the lights are red, then when they go green they just sit there :roll:
noodlehutt

Postby purpleandy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:49 pm

following on from blind - have you ever noticed that when its really really foggy people with silver cars don't even bother to turn their feckin headlights on, let alone the foglights...........
purpleandy

Postby thedeadly » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:07 pm

have you ever noticed that when its really really foggy people with silver cars don't even bother to turn their feckin headlights on, let alone the foglights

can't say i've ever seen any !!! :lol: :lol:
thedeadly

Postby purpleandy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:08 pm

touche!!!!!!!!!!
purpleandy

Postby alec » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:14 pm

In Bradford indicators are apparently connected to a random direction generator, which bears no relation to the direction a car may lurch in.

Driving to Cayton...
Things that speed up to 90 on the final few yards of dual carrigeway before slowing to 30 for the rest of the A64. :evil:

Things that pull out across the dual carrigeway (on the homeward bound section) in front of you when you're doing 80 and theres trucks galore on the inside lane :shock:
alec

Postby purpleandy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:36 pm

the trick is to stop for a butty and a brew at the highwayman cafe just around there. and have something chilled on the stereo ready for the old tw@t doing 28mph on the way to church on the single carriageway (easy to spot - usually a hearing aid beige austin mini metro) can thoroughly recomend the kings of leon's latest for tunes to stop your blood boiling!
purpleandy

Postby alec » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:04 am

Sound advice :wink:
alec

Postby swordie » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:29 pm

In no particular order:

young farmers [I gonna fork yer doogies!]
old men in hats [I've been driving since 1865 and never had an accident]
sunday afternoon drivers [ooh look, cows, slow down father]
caravan convoys [get 3 caravans and say goodbye to overtaking]
people who forget that it's handy for others that you SIGNAL esp on roundabouts [so that's what an indicator is for]
double parking in obviously awkward places [I'll park my beamer 4x4 anywhere I want, pal]
*disabled* [yeah right] drivers parking any £$%^&^ place they want, and do [you can usually spot a genuine disable driver cos they're a lot more clued up about where's best to park]

and the worst... those that pull out in front of you at the last moment, and then proceed to do 30mph for the next 10 miles [AArgh!]
I excell at not giving a shit

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com/
swordie

Postby Frosty » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:39 pm

had my practical test 2day, how can they justify me paying £40 for 30 mins driving, i skimmed passed a curb and that was enough for an imediate fail, wot an absolute heap of shite the DSA is :evil: if i ever meet "George" again there will be hell on :twisted:
Frosty

Postby Bigjohn » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:14 pm

I'm getting angry just thinking about these things. I'm just thankfull that I still have the old 'Guzzi for days when it all gets too much. :D
......Rubber Duck this is Pig Pen, I'm gonna put the hammer down..........

Bigjohn

Postby thedeadly » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:12 pm

ooooh a guzzi - i had a 500cc monza years ago, sweet machines

get you own back - got to tescos or asda etc and park in the disabled section - then when mr shopping trolly attendant comes to move you on just acuse him of discriminating against you because you're not disabled and threaten to see his manager - the look on their face is well worth it ( don't do it if there isn't many spaces though)
thedeadly

Postby surfbaby » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:47 pm

My hubby Tom is from Oldham, where abouts in oldham are you purpleandy???which school you teach at?
surfbaby

Postby ryan3 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:46 pm

1. People that stop at give way signs and roundabouts even if there are no oncoming vehicles.
2. Old people that (a). have in car discussions about pulling out.
(b) do 3 point turns redlineing the revometer and burning their clutch, because you know if they lift the clutch just a inch they will jerk into the nearest parked car/ lampost/ pedestrian etc.
3. Angry people that drive too close, brake late and stop too close.
4. Boy/ girl racers in shit cars that have bad brakes driving too fast.
5. People with crap music turned up too loud. (See also old people with radio 4 racked).
6. Bus Taxi and Lorry drivers in general.
7. Rich people driving real slow in their Bentleys: ' Hey it might be nice to cruise in your luxuary car but its not in mine dam it!'

I think that covers the basics.
ryan3

Postby purpleandy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:30 pm

fao surfbaby - i live in springhead and teach at crompton house
purpleandy

Postby malpractice » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:42 pm

I shouldn't be commenting on driving having crashed my car on Friday at over 40mph on the A39 near camelford.

But.... People who don't adjust their headlights. Yes they are adjustable and you are supposed to change it when you have passengers in the back or are towing etc.
Do me a favor and if the dipped beam reaches the wing mirrors of the car in front THEY ARE SET TOO HIGH!

One thing I will say is that drivers in Cornwall are really hesitant at roundabouts. You do get the odd old couple out during the day in their Rovers, who need reminding that there is more than one gear on most vehicles. Generally no harm is done.
malpractice

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)