Hunting

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Hunting

A grand day out
30%
Tar and feather the buggers
55%
Really dont care
15%

Total votes : 20

Hunting

Postby frameline » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:03 pm

So what do you think? be interesting to see how a group of surfers respond
frameline

Postby jamblo » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:20 pm

I don't think hunting shout be band, but I do think being able to dig a fox out of it's warren should be band. It's sorta like, "home" in a game of hit or something. You weren't allowed to be dragged off your base for a beating, and neither should the fox.

In my opinion, anyway.
jamblo

Postby frameline » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:23 pm

Fair point Jam,

What I think should happen, is that the Hunt should be made legal again, BUT all hunt protestors should be allowed to join in with bean bag guns, like a great game of fox and hounds, one side on the hunt, the other side protecting the fox, would be a whole lot of fun.
frameline

Postby slopsurfer » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:25 pm

Should not be banned but should be regulated.

Should they also ban ferrits and terriers from killing rats?

Foxes are n't all like Basil Brush, i've had to clean up a dead chickens after a fox attack and it aint pretty.
slopsurfer

Postby Grizzly » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:25 pm

frameline wrote:Fair point Jam,

What I think should happen, is that the Hunt should be made legal again, BUT all hunt protestors should be allowed to join in with bean bag guns, like a great game of fox and hounds, one side on the hunt, the other side protecting the fox, would be a whole lot of fun.

lol! that's be a good giggle!
Gorau dial, dangos cwm a'i ffadau.
http://singlefin.blogspot.com
Grizzly

Postby slopsurfer » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:29 pm

or why not velcro a tail to the fox and it can all be over when the tail gets pulled :lol:

it's not only about the sport it's about culling the numbers of foxes(vermin) too.
slopsurfer

Postby okerre » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:32 pm

Thats good but still unfair. How would a fox hold the bean bag gun (assuming it was an anti-hunting fox) They lack the opposable thumbs. :lol:
okerre

Postby swordie » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:33 pm

Banning hunting IMO is the thin end of the wedge 'the tyranny of the majority' someone else said............. so hunting with hounds are out [except in limited circumstances] next..... shooting and other game sports, then fishing [coarse and trout], then game fishing, then raking for cockles..............

we see it happening front of our eyes, when someone objects to using the word black-ball [insulting to afro-caribeans] history [insulting to women] [his-story geddid?]..........you really have to start questioning the sanity of society.

and, before anyone asks no, I'm not a Tory or a UKIP supporter far from it. Neither am a supporter of New Labour [New Labour, ha there's a joke Tory-Lite more like it!]
I excell at not giving a shit

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com/
swordie

Postby frameline » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:38 pm

Yeah, the fox could be worn in a rucksack, and the guy with the fox on his back has to carry a huge flag, peg it across the country side, whilst being protected by bean bag gun and flashbang weilding protestors. If the hunt can run them down and capture the flag, then they take the fox to a quiet room, blindfold it then shoot it....

Job Done....Problem Solved
frameline

Postby okerre » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:43 pm

ahh but what about the chickens. They should be able to defend themselves. Some kind of beak operated device would be needed.
okerre

Postby slopsurfer » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:43 pm

Then why not fix the fox with velcro to the hunt protestors? Lets see if they love the fox enough to run for it

i think we have our soloution
slopsurfer

Postby slopsurfer » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:32 pm

after a hard day being chased Foxxy chills

slopsurfer

Postby Bigjohn » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:25 pm

ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: Youre all fucking barking, the worlds gone mad!! Its a good job that uncle tony is going to make me carry an ID card otherwise i would forget who I am from all this insanity.
......Rubber Duck this is Pig Pen, I'm gonna put the hammer down..........

Bigjohn

Postby thedeadly » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:56 pm

Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby Bigjohn » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:58 pm

You believe all that then? :shock:

Bigjohn

Postby thedeadly » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:07 pm

i believe more of that than i do people having a JOLLY good time stressing an animal to *uck then ripping it to pieces saying its a natural way of doing things just so they can have a day galloping around other peoples fields without permission (occasionaaly) and chid themselves that they are ruthless "hunters" - i agree that foxes can be a problem but then so were rabbits in the 70's so did we see packs of hounds going round chasing rabbits (natural prey) no - the wise people of the counrtyside diseased them instead hmmmmmmm ! Fox hunting is just a horsey persons widegame !

control foxes by other means and if you want to prance around the counryside in reds, then do drag hunting - another benefit of that is you can keep to permissive land and not upset other counrty dwelling people - not everyone who live ruraly likes hunting .
thedeadly

Postby frameline » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:11 pm

Beanbag guns, teargas and flash bangs, its the only way..... :D :D

Or we could dip the foxes in manure to keep the dogs away 8) or paint them the same colour as a hound :lol:
frameline

Hunting

Postby NorthSeaMonster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:59 pm

If they ate the foxes I'd be alright with it. Don't see what the big deal is, they eat dog all over Asia. In some parts of Africa if something is a pest they add it to their diet. Problem solved.

It's just a drag how the rural economy is going to be hit by this.

I hunted deer in Canada before I moved over. Good to get your hands bloody for the meat you eat. Better for the soul.
"Human, all too human..."
NorthSeaMonster

Postby swordie » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:46 pm

Its a good job that uncle tony is going to make me carry an ID card otherwise i would forget who I am from all this insanity.

I thought you meant me for a mo! I already have one, it's called a driving licence. I even got my photo on it!
I excell at not giving a shit

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com/
swordie

Postby CRISPY » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:50 pm

Killing an animal for fun??? :shock: WTF is that about? Lets play a game Mr Fox, you run as fast as you can so we can blow horns and prance about on our steeds. Then if you manage to escape and run down a hole we'll dig you out and tear your guts out anyway. Hooray what fun. Jolly good show boys.............fuck off!.........
CRISPY

Postby thedeadly » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:28 pm

Killing an animal for fun??? WTF is that about? Lets play a game Mr Fox, you run as fast as you can so we can blow horns and prance about on our steeds. Then if you manage to escape and run down a hole we'll dig you out and tear your guts out anyway. Hooray what fun. Jolly good show boys.............fuck off!.........

nicely put

its funny how a few of the guys here seem to hide behind christian beliefs of not hitting people but give them a rabbit of a fox and KILL KILL KILL all the way - my personal views - IF you kill it , then you eat it, with the exception of the only decent sized sea fish i ever caught, a wrass - the farmers cat had that so it still got eaten

HUNTERS - people who go round in GANGS with dogs are NOT hunters, just yobs with posh accents - a real hunter loves the anmimal that he hunting, respects and looks after its young if needed and the most inportant part of being a hunter is the extreme sorrow and sadness that follows a kill and a thankyou to the animal for dying for him - not rip it up and not give a *hit
thedeadly

Postby noodlehutt » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:22 pm

What really got me was the way a number of these people have behaved, from storming the house of commons to rioting on the streets! If that was any other group, what would the response be. "Oh Tarquin look at those dispicable commoners, what is this country coming to, dont they know this is a democaracy!"
noodlehutt

Postby thedeadly » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:40 pm

pikey boys first day at real school

girl: do you realy eat hedgehogs

pikey boy : yes, we've been doing that for years and years

girl : how do you cook them ?

pikey boy : we wrap them up in mud the put them in the fire and when they're cooked we take them out, crack off all the mud and all the spines come off with it

girl : what does hedgehog taste like

pikey boy : its like a cross between chicken and cat !
thedeadly

Postby Grizzly » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:08 pm

Deadly, you make me laugh. I'll kill you last. :lol: :lol:
Gorau dial, dangos cwm a'i ffadau.
http://singlefin.blogspot.com
Grizzly

Postby purpleandy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:44 pm

got a sore arse from sitting on the fence on this one. ok, the foxes have a hard time - but how many of this countrys past-times could go next??? ok - we lose coarse fishing and horse riding next with a similar argument. i dont like animals suffering but look at the wider picture - habitats that are sensibly managed for recreation (eg 7 or 8 lodge commercial fisheries or gallops) provide significant benefit to other types of wildlife. if these go the impact to inner city environments could be devestating.
you cant have a politically correct countryside. cos it wouldn't be the countryside as we know it if it was. and to be honest this country needs diversity more now than ever. lets face it - every city centre is becoming the same faceless mass of the same commercial ventures and the same bars with the same fascias and the same shops selling the same clothes and the same shitty burberry dream and trying to turn us all into fecking automatons. do you really want the green bits to go the same way?
ben mentioned maggie and the miners - the ramifications of breaking that strike still shape the face of this country now. and has it changed it for the better? for starters it devestated a serious chunk of the north leaving a bitter taste and several once proud colliery communities with nothing but unemployment and serious heroin problems. secondly- since then we've developed a non unionised culture where we work the longest hours in europe, so the family has taken second seat. and know weve got the highest rate of juvenile pregnancy in the developed world and the worst underage drinking in europe. the future genuinuly scares me.
so - tant over. all i can say is banning hunting may make sense here and now now but as the saying goes - be careful what you wish for.............
i'll be putting the soapbox away now.......
CAMWA founding member - the campaign for warm ale. Bloody kiwis stick everything in the fridge........cold ale is just plain wrong.....
purpleandy

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:12 am

Here's the deal. I try to avoid wasting a life.
This means that I shoot for food OR to kill vermin and I DO enjoy the challenge of outwitting my quarry. I fully understand that the things that I kill may suffer but I take great care to reduce this. Any meat eating animal will inflict suffering at some stage.
Most of the people who enjoy hunting, which I include as "killing vermin" are doing it because they enjoy the whole thing not particularly the kill.
The idea of posh nobs in hunting pinks shows the misguided ignorance of those who oppose the sport. Sure there are some well off people who hunt off horseback but its not even a majority, Most are the farmers who own the land and ordinary horse owners. It is a class issue as much as anything. Unless you inlude beagling or mink hunting which is done by people who mostly earn less than the average wage.

Heres a thing to consider.
The domestic cat is the most effective predator(kills/predator)in this country. A well fed cat Kills for pleasure(wastes life). If you keep a domestic cat and let it out to do it's own thing then you are allowing the killing of animals(many are protected) which is pointless and totaly avoidable. How can anyone let out a killing machine like "Tibbles" into the garden to spend the day hunting for pleasure(those little"presents") and the oppose the hunting of vermin for pleasure.

Bigjohn

Postby thedeadly » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:18 am

The domestic cat is the most effective predator(kills/predator)in this country. A well fed cat Kills for pleasure(wastes life). If you keep a domestic cat and let it out to do it's own thing then you are allowing the killing of animals(many are protected) which is pointless and totaly avoidable. How can anyone let out a killing machine like "Tibbles" into the garden to spend the day hunting for pleasure(those little"presents") and the oppose the hunting of vermin for pleasure

most predetors kill for pleasure (including humans and sharks)

domestic cats are good hunters but they are stuck in a mental adolecance - so not quite the killing machine that a feral cat is - also predetors have to teach their young to hunt and kill - hence mummy mog bringing home live mice etc whgen she has young - its just an instint thing - hunting foxs on horseback isnt
thedeadly

Postby okerre » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:28 am

Ahh but a cat doesnt know any better. I suppose we could hunt cats too. Would give the heroin addicts something to do. On a serious note, am not sure i totally agree with the reasoning behind banning hunting, but the fact is we live in a democracy and the majority of people in the country think it should be banned. Am all for protest in what u believe but like Mr Hutt said Tarquin stomping and hissing around in the range rover breaking the law as he wants to hunt smacks of elite-ism. Probably a large proportion of UK society would favour a legalisation of some drugs and banning fuel extravagant cars, tho they are proably too busy munching cereal, burgers and possibly foxes to do anything about it.

Foxes are easy to find to wheres the challenge in that, saw one running down the street in Bristol in broad day ligh other day. We should hunt Pandas they are much harder to find..more of a challenge.. Dolphin fin soup anyone
okerre

Postby u4d18 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:30 am

Sorry, but I don't see how hunting is any less cruel than fishing or killing rats with rat killer or putting an animal through a slaughter house. Did you know that an animal going through a slaughter house can smell the blood of those other animals already killed and this sets of a huge adrenallin rush in the animal, which is often why you have to tenderise meat etc...

And what about fishing, surely you can't tell me that a hook through the mouth or going down into the fish's stomache is going to be painless, then wrestling with the fish until it gets so tired that it gives up...

When you use rat killer, the rat bleeds to death from the inside. The warfrin (sp?) stops the internal wounds healing, and that's why you see rats going to drink water when they've taken the rat killer because they're basically being bled dry internally. Does that sound like a nice way to die? Is that less cruel than fox hunting?

Oh yeah, to correct someone, they don't dig the foxes out, I think that's illegal.

I'm not against fox hunting because I am not a hypocrite, if you want fox hunting banned but you want to continue with all these other animal 'cruelties' then you're a hypocrite and it's obviously a class related thing. How can you start juding people because of what they wear? If people judged surfers with their 'crusty' appearance then you'd be the first to cry foul, but because these people do things a little differently you seem to think that it justifies your judgement on them? Sorry but this is so inconsistent as to be farsical.

Killing an animal for fun??? WTF is that about? Lets play a game Mr Fox, you run as fast as you can so we can blow horns and prance about on our steeds. Then if you manage to escape and run down a hole we'll dig you out and tear your guts out anyway. Hooray what fun. Jolly good show boys.............fuck off!.........

This just goes to show the ignorance and stupidity of some people. Have you actually been involved in a hunt? I haven't, and therefore I'm not going to judge these people. But you seem to be a real expert in your pronouncement, even though you didn't know that they don't dig foxes out.... Get a clue. I guess you'd be the sort of person that would attend thge Nurenbug rallies with Hitler if you're so blindly taken in by the system.

I feel quite annoyed that with all the killings and murder of people in the world that this government is more concerned with the class related ban of this activity which isn't exactly affecting anyone in a major way. Our top restraunts boil Lobsters alive, yet we think this is fine because the meat tastes better. Sorry am I missing the boat here? How has Fox hunting been elevated to these extreme level of cruelty, yet being boiled to death is considered fine because the meat is more tender....

When all you guys critisising hunting turn vegan and happily let rats infest your house (without killing them) and fight tooth and nail to ban fishing then you won't be hypocrites. But until then at least try to apply your fox hunting arguments to every other interaction we have with animals and you'll soon see that most things can be described as cruel if you elevate animals to the level of humans.
u4d18

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:51 am

u4d18, you are absolutely spot on except that hunts use terriers to flush the fox and only dig when a stalemate occurs under ground. The fox can then be killed by the terrierman who will then often give the DEAD fox to the hounds. The law does get broken but rarely so(I have never seen it but I accept that it happens). I have seen plenty of anti hunt people do terrible things too. I have seen horses spiked on nail stars on the ground. I have seen a distraught teenage girl waiting next to a screaming horse that had just run into a piano wire at head height (sabs were still yelling abuse at her as she waited for help). What I'm saying is that people on both sides are not perfect.

Bigjohn

Next

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)