Hunting

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Hunting

A grand day out
30%
Tar and feather the buggers
55%
Really dont care
15%

Total votes : 20

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:46 pm

I guarantee that there will be suicides resulting from this ban

interesting, why do you think this will be the case?[/quote]

Its cos some folk are losing everything that they love and understand. I spoke to a guy who reckons that when his hunt disbands, when he has put down the last hound, he will do the same to himself. He has been working with and caring for that pack since child hood ( he took over from his father).Says the hounds are like family! I feel that there are others like this.
......Rubber Duck this is Pig Pen, I'm gonna put the hammer down..........

Bigjohn

Postby frameline » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:03 pm

With all respect to his circumstances, that sounds like cutting his nose off to spite his face, granted he will be very upset at at losing the hunt, but there are alternatives, as discussed and as to killing all his hounds then himself - it just sounds a bit melodramatic to me. If I loved and cared for hounds and raised them from puppies, I would DAMN well explore alternatives such as drag hunting, rather than put them all down...
frameline

Postby Bigjohn » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:22 pm

Sure, most of these guys will cope but a few wont.
Unfortunately a pack that hunts foxes is virtually impossible to retrain to another scent(drag). They will just pick up a fox scent and go for that. Because they are raised in a pack, and selected for their ability, foxhounds are virtualy useless for anything else. Even when kept as house pets from puppies, they are a lot of trouble! So when the ban becomes law there are going to be a few thousand doggies with very poor prospects. I think there will be some very sad pictures in the papers.

Bigjohn

Postby frameline » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:43 pm

Bigjohn wrote:So when the ban becomes law there are going to be a few thousand doggies with very poor prospects. I think there will be some very sad pictures in the papers.

Then I guess we have found the true victims of the ban, that seems a real shame.... :evil: :( :( :(
frameline

Postby thedeadly » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:19 am

Unfortunately a pack that hunts foxes is virtually impossible to retrain to another scent(drag). They will just pick up a fox scent and go for that. Because they are raised in a pack, and selected for their ability, foxhounds are virtualy useless for anything else.

thats absolute BS - hounds HAVE to be trained to hunt foxes - so just stop training the puppies and in a generation or 2 they wont even know what a fox was - if you scent a drag with fox urine etc - the hound wont know any different - remember hounds dont chase foxes, they chase the smell from foxes
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby Bigjohn » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:39 pm

Deadly, read what I said. I said REtrain foxhounds.I am talking about the foxhounds already in use. They will follow the scent of a live fox and nothing else. They can read it like a roadsign to tell how old it is and even tell the scent of one fox from another,it has little to do with urine und more to do with musk and breath. You cant teach these old dogs new tricks and you cant make an arteficial fox scent. But, yes you can teach most types of hounds to follow the drag if they are puppies that have never worked to the fox.
Currently in my area(Kent) there are 300 hounds and 150 beagles under threat. That is FACT NOT BULLSHIT

Bigjohn

Postby alec » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:52 pm

Aren't hounds put down after a fairly short working life anyway?

Not that I'm suggesting it doesn't matter that theses dogs are under threat. I recon that in order to support the ban animal rights campaign organisations and animal sactuaries should be asked to do what they can to look after at least some of the hounds, which will never be pets.
The hunters around here are planning to sell their hounds to hunts in Russia and the old eastern block.
alec

Postby Bigjohn » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:05 pm

They are put down when they have no further use. Often the older hounds are slower but have the experience th refind the scent or second guess the fox. But, like many purebred varieties of dog, they have a relatevely short life.
Who the hell would keep one as a pet? Can you imagine letting the dog out in the morning after a fox had been round the dustbins!

Bigjohn

Postby alec » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:31 pm

Who the hell would keep one as a pet? Can you imagine letting the dog out in the morning after a fox had been round the dustbins!

LOL
You couldn't keep 'em as pets. But pairs of hounds could be walked and looked after by people with a bit of extra training. Trencher packs used to do this all the time out of season.
Its not like lurchers that 'd catch + kill very quickly, fox's run faster than hounds, hounds as you know are bred to wear down the fox until it stops checking then catch it. Which is I guess, why using fox hounds to hunt foxes is really inefficient apart from anything else.
alec

Postby Grizzly » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:34 pm

Could we keep the hounds on beaches and spray jetskiers with fox wee? Please? :lol:
Gorau dial, dangos cwm a'i ffadau.
http://singlefin.blogspot.com
Grizzly

Postby alec » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:41 pm

spray jetskiers with fox wee

couldn't we just do that anyway :lol:
alec

Postby Grizzly » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:19 pm

I'm in!
Gorau dial, dangos cwm a'i ffadau.
http://singlefin.blogspot.com
Grizzly

Postby thedeadly » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:28 pm

Currently in my area(Kent) there are 300 hounds and 150 beagles under threat. That is FACT NOT BULLSHIT

i was just wondering if there was any milage in horse feed - so instaed of dogs eating dead horse then .................................. woof !
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby noah's_arc » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:36 pm

Surf Monkey wrote:noah's_arc your names a bit ironic realy aint it noahs arc was bulit to save the lives of animals yet here you are supporting the killing of them

That would be "ark" then...

It's "arc" as in part of a circle... i.e. the sort of shape you make when executing a lovely top turn...
noah's_arc

Previous

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)