HIGHWAY CODE TIME

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

HIGHWAY CODE TIME

Postby blind » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:37 pm

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 Check this one out folks , Got a speeding ticket drop through my door :( , saying i was doing 73 in a 60 zone ,between ivybridge and plymouth ,its a dual carridgeway ,thats 70 mph , me thinks , O no not if you drive a van guys its 60 mph , cos its classed as a light goods vehicle , Ive got a citreon dispatch , so if you have a van with no side windows in the rear keep the speed down , sixty bucks and three points :evil:
happy driving
blind

Postby frameline » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:47 pm

Thats crap....I drive a van so will be watching the speedo from now on (6 points already :oops: ) That does seem real unfair though...
frameline

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:30 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: you have rocked my world :shock: :shock: :shock:
......Rubber Duck this is Pig Pen, I'm gonna put the hammer down..........

Bigjohn

Postby thedeadly » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:43 am

i got the same on the a- 30 nr bodmin

the copper told me at the time that the van is only classed as a light goods vehicle if you are working - if using it for private usae it isn't so if you were using you van for private reasons then they are wrong - go for it :!:

unfortunately i was working :evil:
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:46 am

Nice one Deadly! :P Life is good and I no longer need to unbolt that pedal from the floor! :lol: :lol:

Bigjohn

Postby thedeadly » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:01 am

Nice one Deadly! Life is good and I no longer need to unbolt that pedal from the floor

would just like to point out that, that is what the copper told me, please check it out for yourself first before you get a ticket and i was wrong :oops: just in case :lol: :D

but i did point out to the copper what a stupid law that was cos it is the same van and he just said "i uphold the law not make it" so he agreed
thedeadly

Postby u4d18 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:20 am

That's one reason why I can't stand the police. They are a bunch of hypocritical, hmm won't say more, but in our area they speed all the time without the flashing lights. Saw one at 50mph in a 30 zone last month and it was just one guy in the car so can't have been anything serious, no lights, no siren, nothing.

These laws are just dumb as well, I hate this country and it's stupid inconsistent laws. How are you posing any additional risk by driving a little faster when not working as opposed to when you are using the van for personal travel?

Sorry, but these days the laws are so stupid that I bet the police could find something wrong in virtually any situation...
u4d18

Postby slopsurfer » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:44 am

Saw one at 50mph in a 30 zone last month and it was just one guy in the car so can't have been anything serious, no lights, no siren, nothing

excuse me but the doughnut run is the most important part of the day :D
slopsurfer

Postby okerre » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:03 am

9 point myself... I thought they were giving me marks out of 10 :oops:
Other prob with having a van, going over the bridge to Wales get stung and extra £5 even tho its an astra van. Its like the opposite of window tax they had in victorian times. perhaps we shoud go and march to London
okerre

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:34 am

Oh bloody fantastic.. I've already got 6points from driving my old pug 205 (according to tax form thats alight goods vech too!)

Now Me nd Em have just bought out van, bloody great... humph! mind you found insurance for me at £661 saved me £400 on every other quote I had!
With 73% of the planet under water perhaps Earth should be re-named Ocean
PapaWoolacombe

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:37 am

The old license used to say "sign and tear along dotted line" . Scared the shit out of me when I met someone coming the other way! :lol:

Bigjohn

Postby thedeadly » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:47 pm

Other prob with having a van, going over the bridge to Wales get stung and extra £5 even tho its an astra van

whereas the Tamar bridge charges the same for vans as cars - £1

and only if you want to leave Cornwall - i got the better of them when i moved down here cos i'm not moving back hence no payment :lol: :lol:
thedeadly

Postby blind » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:53 pm

the cost is to stop the cornish leaving :D :D :D :D
blind

Postby okerre » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:42 am

yeah but u have to pay to go into Wales???? :lol:
okerre

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:37 pm

Blind, How heavy is your van? you should be able to get out of it. The weight limit is 2tonnes. even if its slightly over you could still argue it as your not a delivery vechicle, its social and domestic purposes van only.
PapaWoolacombe

Postby blind » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:24 pm

tryed that one papa , rang the speed camera people , and was told its because I've no side windows in the rear and not the weight , its for the visability thing :cry:
blind

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:22 pm

Bugger!

Thats a bit of good news for m and em then, our vans got windows. :D
PapaWoolacombe

Postby noodlehutt » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:58 pm

had a word with my old man about this yesterday, as he was traffic policeman for about 20 years and now trains them in law, figured he'd have a good idea.

Any van that is a car derived vehicle is not subject to the speed limits of a good vehicle, ie astra van. Anything else is a goods vehicle and subject to 60mph on dual carriageway/motorway and 50mph on national speed limit roads.
noodlehutt

Postby dt83aw » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:23 pm

a couple weeks ago, when we went to the local sandwich shop during break at college, an ambulance pulled up, lights flashing, came in, got his lunch (in no hurry) got back in, and sped off with the lights goin again!...what a fuckin cheek!

...unfortunately i suffer from lead foot syndrome, especially as i've stated makin the trip to cornwall more often...it's too easy to just hammer it down the A30, but touch wood (frantically touches wood!!!) i've gotten away with it so far (famous last words?).
dt83aw

Postby purpleandy » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:51 pm

used to work on the ambulances and you're bound by the usual traffic rules unless you're picking up or dropping off or are on an emergency. and with our control the phrase "picking up" meant getting lunch so the lad was probably well within his rights.................... :lol: :lol:
CAMWA founding member - the campaign for warm ale. Bloody kiwis stick everything in the fridge........cold ale is just plain wrong.....
purpleandy

Postby Surf Monkey » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:09 am

dt83aw wrote:a couple weeks ago, when we went to the local sandwich shop during break at college, an ambulance pulled up, lights flashing, came in, got his lunch (in no hurry) got back in, and sped off with the lights goin again!...what a fuckin cheek!

...unfortunately i suffer from lead foot syndrome, especially as i've stated makin the trip to cornwall more often...it's too easy to just hammer it down the A30, but touch wood (frantically touches wood!!!) i've gotten away with it so far (famous last words?).

i used to speed big time then i realised i get there no quicker really it costs me twice as much in petrol and i used to eat through tires
Throw the tail, bury the rail
Surf Monkey

Postby thedeadly » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:15 am

a simple cure for boy racers - get a shit car eg 1100 fiesta, put xr wheels on it (camber is wrong so you dont get as much grip- but more than normal tyres) you can now thrash it around at 60 miles an hour but, and here's the good bit - cos the car has a little engine you have to keep the revs up and because the handling is shit then you have to put more "driving" in to keep it on the road - the bigger better sportier car you get then the more you have to race it to get the "feeling" hence drining around at 100 just to feel some Gs in a turn - in a car like a fiesta you get that feeling at 40 and over :lol: :lol:
thedeadly

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)