Ah the sweetness of being higher up.

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Ah the sweetness of being higher up.

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:44 pm

Me and Em bought our van yesterday...

Blooming excelent it is being higher than everyone :D

We got a 1996 type 4 Transporter in dark red.
Excelent condition and we are staring the long haull on kitting it this xmas. Got half of the Bulkhead to drill out and insulate the sides. Thats for started over xmas. the rest will be done as we can!

Plans are to install a duel battery and then get the internal wiring sorted. Then we can workon buildingthe cabinates and bed system and of course the rest of the asethics.

WOOOOOOOOOOO! we're so stoked!
With 73% of the planet under water perhaps Earth should be re-named Ocean
PapaWoolacombe

Postby frameline » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:55 pm

Welcome to the club mate,

Let me know if you need any advice setting up the dual battery split chage relay, I have got everything on my van going through a switch panel now, the stereo, amps, internal lights the whole lot. Park up, flick the whole lot over to aux, party on, and I am safe from a flat battery in the morning, drive home and it all charges up again. :D :D took me ages figuring it all out though but great fun.
frameline

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:03 pm

Dude that sounds ideal!

Exactly the sort of thing we want. indepentant sencond bat that all th intrnal stuff pulls on and the main bat just for the engin etc but obiviously the 2nd bat hooked up to the lternater.
We will deffo be tapping your brain!

btw did you house the 2nd battery under the passenger cab seats by any chance?, that where we were thinking.
PapaWoolacombe

Postby frameline » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:05 pm

well I have a LWB transit and it had loads of room behind the drivers seat for a battery compartment, behind the passenger seat is a fat 12 inch sub..... 8) 8) :roll: :roll:
frameline

Postby frameline » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:07 pm

but yeah now worries with wiring diagrams and practical advice, it is awesome having dual batteries, people always congregate towards my van as i can keep the lights on and stereo running into the wee hours, like moths they are....
frameline

Postby blind » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:23 pm

I got my comany to buy me a thingy called an inverter its cool as beans ,plug it into your ciggy lighter and hay presto 24 volts out the other end , got the idea from the yachting feternity ,charge my cordless tools up as i go , I think a lot of motorhomes have them
blind

Postby thedeadly » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:27 pm

people always congregate towards my van as i can keep the lights on and stereo running into the wee hours,

wouldn't you just love a satellite system so you can have extreme sports on all night as well
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby Bigjohn » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:43 am

If you're going to charge your flat battery on the way home after starting on the engine battery, make sure you get a switch that lets you change over while the engine is running or you'll fry the diodes in the alternator. Use boat bits for elecrtics, theyre 10 times tougher.
......Rubber Duck this is Pig Pen, I'm gonna put the hammer down..........

Bigjohn

Postby estemof » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:14 am

Any pics of the new van mate? does it have windows or is it a panel?

Does anyone know if you can fit decent side windows in a 80's - 90's VW panel?

I'm after a late 80's Syncro T25, one day I'll find my dream.
estemof

Postby frameline » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:35 am

Bigjohn wrote:If you're going to charge your flat battery on the way home after starting on the engine battery, make sure you get a switch that lets you change over while the engine is running or you'll fry the diodes in the alternator. Use boat bits for elecrtics, theyre 10 times tougher.

Nah, just use a split charge relay, when you turn the engine on it connects the two batteries automatically so they both get charged, when you turn the engine off the two batteries are automatically isolated, I don't have to touch anything to keep it all working ifine, hence it is idiot proof, I built my switch board with a charging split charge relay, then run that into a distribution panel which then allows connection of lighting circuits, stereos, so you can then switch each device from main to aux as you like.
frameline

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:34 pm

Yeah I've allready got a inverter, useful for all sorts them :D

I'll get a pic up soon. Its pannel van, we didn't want windows for security reasons and temperature reasons :p

We got a rough plan but most of the interior things will be takled when we get to that stage, its going to be a long project but worth it for deffo.
As I said we're starting with the underlying things like the insulation and electrics first. I need to wire in the CD player today.

The bodywork is solid, only a slight bubbling on on front nearside wheel arch whichwei'll sort over xmas.
Inside it a little scratched and chipped but when we do the insulation we are going to addres thoese bits and resin up the inside then seal in the insulation and replace the ply boards.
PapaWoolacombe

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)