Un delete

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Un delete

Postby thedeadly » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:33 am

HELP

there used to be a command called "undelete" in dos 3 - 5

wheres it gone from XP - is there an alternative program in xp

if anyone know how to undelete stuff let me know pls

cheers
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Un delete

Postby NorthSeaMonster » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:52 am

Uh oh... Someone's about to throw their computer through the sitting room window...
Stay calm... Breathe...
There are some disk utility programmes that can resurrect deleted files provided you haven't saved new stuff over them. You'd have to buy them though.

I don't think XP has that feature built in, but I'd be curious if there is some super techie who knows otherwise... Who knows a little secret.
"Human, all too human..."
NorthSeaMonster

Postby noodlehutt » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:45 am

i have a utility that can can undelete stuff, but its at home and i wont be for a couple of days. Might be able to get something to you later on this afternoon if you havent found anything by then. Have a look around the web, ontrack is a very good company for it, not sure if they have any free utlities though.
noodlehutt

Postby slopsurfer » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:48 am

Don't you just go to the recycle bin, right click the item and select restore???
slopsurfer

Postby thedeadly » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:24 pm

Don't you just go to the recycle bin, right click the item and select restore???

no - its gone beyond that - they have been deleted from there - they are still on my hd though with the first letter of each file missing making it unreadable and eventualy they will get written over - i tried booting up in dos3 :lol: :lol: but it cant read my hd cost that is nfts

agggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

will have to look for a trial version of something
thedeadly

Postby malpractice » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:32 pm

Deadly there is no built in windows utility that would be able to restore that data, that I know of. Try looking around for data restoration/recovery programs, i cant recommend anything out of experience.

As you may know, when you delete someting the reference is deleted in the allocation table on the hard disk, the data remains and is often recoverable until it is overwritten, so try to avoid copying anything large to your hard disk.

Good luck, how did the data become corrupt?
malpractice

Postby thedeadly » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:34 pm

found a prog called "PC Inspector smart recovery" on download.com - free licence and even works on your mem cards in the cam when connected to the pc - i did my nikon older camera and it has recovered photos from a holiday in aug 03 and i have formated it loads of times since then - drawback is it has to do the whole of any media and my hard disk is 16gigs so it will take all night and maybe more -lol - i deleted all the originals of yesterdays photos then emptied the recycle bin and then found out i'd done it :oops:
thedeadly

Postby thedeadly » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:16 pm

it has been running for 12hrs now and is 56% done and has recovered 1200 pics so far - probably 12 pics 100 times :lol: :lol: :lol:
thedeadly

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)