skateboard

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

skateboard

Postby thedeadly » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:25 pm

i want to buy a skateboard and have just noticed my local skate shop is have a closing down sale - want a short type of skateboard but havn't got a clue what to ask for and i don't want to look like a complete prat and get dumped with something that they just want to get rid of

if i'm correct you can get different wheels trucks and deck sizes (width) but what would suit a (40 yr old) beginner balanced against price

any ideas ???

cheers
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby frameline » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:33 pm

stay away from the conventional modern skateboards (twin kick tail and short) if you want a board that will help you surf then you need to go for a longer board, minimum 36 inches that will allow you to skate with a surf stance.

If you want to be bombing down and carving hills get a longboard http://www.lushlongboards.com is an awesome site and you should be able to get an idea what is about.

If you want THE best board for cruising, carving, AND still be able to ride bowls and grind rails, get a 36 inch DREGGS POOL SERVICE deck - I have one and it is awesome, perfect length for low surf style pumping, but with a fat kick tail for tricks and parks, I can hammer a cutback off the top of a half pipe and still carve it down hills, I have had over 15 skate decks over the years and this one beats them all. Though you may not find one in your local shop.

But mate, go for it, if I could not be surfing, I would want to be skating...

And yeah wheels and trucks are interchangable,

Good Trucks - Randal II 150's
Good Wheels - Turner Lacostas - pimp...
frameline

Postby estemof » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:55 pm

most modern decks and trucks are all the same realy, except if you want a longboard style as the man just said.
Go for it deadly, I find it difficult to skate now days without kids laughing at me, but hay if you have a friendly skate park go rip it up.
estemof

Postby Shukiki » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:58 pm

how much are longboards?
Are they alot better than shortboards?
Hossogor on the 26th aug -16sept
Shukiki

Postby estemof » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:00 pm

short boards should be around £50, I prefer shortboards, can do everything on them. I still skate the same board I brought in 87.
estemof

Postby frameline » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:07 pm

short boards are cool, and I have a few, but if you are a surfer, you will get on better with a longer board, to be fair I don't really like really long boards ie 44 inches plus, you get a load of kooks buying them and carrying them round town under their arms, I had a 5 foot board, skated it for about a day then the novelty wore off and it is now on my wall. The perfect surf/skate deck is between 36 - 44 inches, go nearer the 36 inch end if you want to skate bowls and parks or nearer the 44 inch end for bombing hills if you have a lot of smooth tarmac around where you live.
frameline

Postby Shukiki » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:11 pm

we have a school yard but thats all.
I actually have 2 shorts but i wanted to know about longboards
Shukiki

Postby estemof » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:33 pm

longboards suck
estemof

Postby Shukiki » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:17 pm

ok thats my question answered
Shukiki

Postby thedeadly » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:28 pm

ha ha - i'm more confused now

i have a 3 mile hill ouside my door which i could use on an early sunday morning :lol: and all the kids playgrounds hav small vert ramps which i like the idea of - (when its dark and all the kids have gone to bed) so i want the best of both worlds
get a 36 inch DREGGS POOL SERVICE deck

sounds ideal

what sort of width trucks and wheel size do i need to look at

let the kids laugh :lol: i don't mind being a bit of entertainment
Never buy a stupid dwarf - Its not big and its not clever
thedeadly

Postby estemof » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:31 pm

do you have any 70's style concrete parks down your way, they are the best.
estemof

Postby dt83aw » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:40 pm

estemof wrote:70's style concrete parks, they are the best.

dude, you should go to vancouver+the pacific northwest...you could probs ride a different park every day for a month!!!...and go surfin!!!...(i wish i had started when i went!)
dt83aw

Postby estemof » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:43 pm

sounds cool, I stopped skating around 16 and started again at 28, sad old git wanting to recapture his youth. Wish I never stopped.
estemof

Postby ryan3 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:25 pm

Deadly check out http://www.sector9.com for some quality skateboards .
Used a mates long board: good fun like a cross between sk8ing, snowboarding and surfing. :)
ryan3

Postby Shukiki » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:05 pm

So is it workth getting one?
Shukiki

Postby Powl » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:55 pm

Deadly go for it mate. I'm with frameline, get something 36-40" and with a kicktail. Then you can have the best of both. Lush do a really nice park deck that fits the bill too

http://www.lushboards.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_24_48&products_id=270&osCsid=67b71810f5a88b8561b0359f4c67fd51

I'm hoping santa might bring me one. Oldschool trucks (eg randals) and wheels on the softer side (pref kryptonics) if that hill outside your house is anything other than soooper smooooth. Try ebay for trucks and wheels. You'll have a blast, I'm totally gutted there's no hills or decent skate parks near where i live now :x
Powl

Postby swordie » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:10 pm

heh, bring your board down here. Every village has a skate ramp, I can think of at least 6 within a 15 mile radius! Closest one is 150 yards from my office, hardly ever used now that the youffs that clamoured for it have moved on to girls booze and narcotics :lol:

have'nt been on a skateboard for years.... kryptonics, I remember my first set back in 79, had to import them from the states, cost a fortune. Mind you in those days I made my own decks, steam bent to shape, wetordry as gripfast, hills to skate on, and protective gear was a pair of hedging gauntlets - bare feet, shorts and rugby shirts was the 'uniform'................ Pat Kieran overtaking a tractor on a hill with a board under each foot............ aah those were the days... young lads making goals from jumpers etc etc
Ron Manager
I excell at not giving a shit

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com/
swordie

Postby Grizzly » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:26 pm

I've got a 30 something inch krypto deck which is fairly short as longboards go but very responsive, again, as they go. It's ideal for bimbling up and down the sea front, and when I lived nearer the station, a good way of getting to lifeboat shouts. Apart from the time I fell off on a speed bump. Now I live up a steep hill with a junction at the bottom and haven't yet mustered enough balls to skate it. Yet: there's always beer to help...
Gorau dial, dangos cwm a'i ffadau.
http://singlefin.blogspot.com
Grizzly

Postby Powl » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:15 pm

Haha swordie. Always the way. Down where I grew up it took ages lobbying the council to get a ramp built. Within two months it had been burnt out by the local moped brigade and we had to start all over again. Round here they only seem to be intereseted in building that new fangled 2 x little skinny quarter pipe setup plus a 2ft funbox or spine in between. Complete waste of time. Sounds good mate anyway, skateboard in the boot on my next trip down your way then.

Speedbumps. Ouch. Many a skinned knee. Bomb that hill griz it's never as bad as you think. As long as there's some sort of run off :shock:
Powl

Postby Grizzly » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:18 pm

Powl wrote:As long as there's some sort of run off :shock:

That's the problem. It's a T junction, with the hill being the stalk part of the T...
Gorau dial, dangos cwm a'i ffadau.
http://singlefin.blogspot.com
Grizzly

Postby Powl » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:20 pm

Go at night, post a mate on the corner to watch for traffic and think of it a long drop into a bottom turn :lol:
Powl

Postby swordie » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:52 pm

As my skateboarding claim to fame, I was the first guy to skateboard from the Llanberis Pass YHA down to the Pen y Gwryd hotel at the bottom - August 1979 [early am] :lol:

Powl try the skatepark at SouthBeach Pwllheli, next to the Caff.

swordie

Postby frameline » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:31 am

swordie wrote:As my skateboarding claim to fame, I was the first guy to skateboard from the Llanberis Pass YHA down to the Pen y Gwryd hotel at the bottom - August 1979 [early am] :lol:

Ha, did the same route last year on a carve board (very early also), my legs were like jelly when I hit the bottom, totally shot, still easier than trying to ride up on a bike which I have done a few times...

That is a very cool hill.....tough to scrub off speed at the top where it is pretty narrow with the walls.....
frameline

Postby swordie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:18 am

tough to scrub off speed at the top where it is pretty narrow with the walls.....

you have to either glissade it or track across from side to side with flick turns at either end, exhausting.

swordie

Postby frameline » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:38 am

yeah I wear sliding gloves and was pretty much doing 4 wheel drifts all the way down, I nailed it straight for 2 corners and picked up speed so fast I nearly brought it on the dry stone wall, took me about 100 yards to get things back under control... Funny as hell though, got the whole thing on video from the van chasing behind, a lot of fun....
frameline

Postby alec » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:53 pm

Go for it.
I got a 2nd hand longboard for£20 and use it for cruising down the hills.
I hadn't been on a board for20 years, so it's taking a bit of getting used to, and wipeouts hurt more than I remember, but I'm sur its helped my confidence on a surfboard.

Watch Dogtown + Z-Boys, + you'll go out feeling all inspired.
alec

Postby [REZ] » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:58 am

i used to skate loads back in the late 80's early 90's ..the bones brigade etc where my heros..still skate a bit now but mainly just carving with some wide truckers and a set of Santa Cruz Bullets 95a - Powl you remember these? Classic days back then ..i still have all the powell vids like The Search for Animal Chin and Ban This. Love it.

Ebay is a great place to buy old skool wheels and trucks...oh and deadly make sure you get some ceramic bearings too...lol :lol:
[REZ]

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)