Road Bikes

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Re: Road Bikes

Postby Steviesee » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:09 am

Chris F wrote:Got you Steve, was wondering who you were!

That should be great Steve, hopefully the weather will be good for it. I'd do it too, if not for daughter's birthday party on Saturday afternoon. You hanging about in the area. Might be a wave Sunday morning, probably going to try get to Moray coast. Swell might just get into Stonehaven. Maybe.

Am based in Aberdeen, but the sportive includes free entry to the beer festival, and I'm not very good at getting home from Stonehaven at the best of times... Hopefully I'll get in at Aberdeen on Sunday. My van's in the garage for some TLC at the minute so wont be able to head up the coast...
Steviesee

Postby Chris F » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 pm

Cool. If there's a wave I'll be in at Aberdeen too, if there's not, might head up Philorth or Banff.
Chris F

Postby Surfy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Added ya Chris! eejit in a tiger Halloween costume.

Surfy
Surfy

Postby Chris F » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Was wondering what that was, thought it might be club kit.
Chris F

Postby Surfy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Hull Cycling Club might have kit in tiger stripes, unfortunately ours is bright yellow :lol:
Surfy

Postby Chris F » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 am

Steviesee wrote:
Chris F wrote:Got you Steve, was wondering who you were!

That should be great Steve, hopefully the weather will be good for it. I'd do it too, if not for daughter's birthday party on Saturday afternoon. You hanging about in the area. Might be a wave Sunday morning, probably going to try get to Moray coast. Swell might just get into Stonehaven. Maybe.

Am based in Aberdeen, but the sportive includes free entry to the beer festival, and I'm not very good at getting home from Stonehaven at the best of times... Hopefully I'll get in at Aberdeen on Sunday. My van's in the garage for some TLC at the minute so wont be able to head up the coast...

Did you enjoy the event? Everyone I know who did it said it was really good.
Chris F

Postby Steviesee » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:29 am

Mmmm... that's a sore point.

Arrived at train station on Saturday morning, purchased ticket and then wasn't allowed on train with my bike as I hadn't pre-booked it. I thought for a 16 minute journey there wouldn't have been a problem.

A bit pissed off to say the least as I've been doing a quite a bit of training recenty. I even cycled over Cairn o'Mount both directions a couple of weekends ago...

I'm not sure what my next event is, but hopefully I'll be able to do the Royal Etape again this year at Ballater. I'll also head up to Applecross with the van to get some hills in too, and cycle round the Peninsula, it's a good one!
Steviesee

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Shocker mate ^^^

I'm cycling around Arran this weekend 8)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Steviesee » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:56 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:Shocker mate ^^^

I'm cycling around Arran this weekend 8)

Good man, enjoy!!
Steviesee

Postby Surfy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Which day you going round boss? this weekend is the "Arran Man" Half Iron man - Its going to be absolutely heaving with Time Trial boys.
Surfy

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:51 am

^^ Excellent - jump on a wheel and get a free ride - thanks for the heads-up mate. Iron Man swim starts at 6am in Lamlash Bay. Once they are out the water they do 2 laps of island 112 miles anti-clockwise. Our ferry gets in at 08.20 so hopefully they are out the water & through Brodick by the time we are on the road.
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:46 am

Steviesee wrote:
Arrived at train station on Saturday morning, purchased ticket and then wasn't allowed on train with my bike as I hadn't pre-booked it. I thought for a 16 minute journey there wouldn't have been a problem.

Gutted. I use the Portlethen train in to work all the time and there are always folk with bikes on it, didn't know you had to prebook.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:05 pm

Roadies - what tyres are you rocking - need a new set for bike .......... 25mm
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:17 am

Ones that came with the bike! Not need to replace any kit yet!

Just been on Lanzarote for 2 weeks. Good place for some roadbiking, good roads, open and quiet. Fucking hot and windy though.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:56 pm

went into evans cycles , £42 for one Continental Gatorskin tyre - told the dude it was way too hefty - he said he would price match off the interweb if I showed him the same tyre elsewhere for less.

I showed him Wiggle , £21.98 delivered to your door - then proceeded to give him the virtual two fingers by giving the business to Wiggle. Cheeky c*nts, why don't they price their stuff competitively rather than mugging off potential customers.
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:41 am

I can swallow a few quid, but half price is taking the piss!
Chris F

Postby Black » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:09 am

ATTMFKH wrote:went into evans cycles , £42 for one Continental Gatorskin tyre - told the dude it was way too hefty - he said he would price match off the interweb if I showed him the same tyre elsewhere for less.

I showed him Wiggle , £21.98 delivered to your door - then proceeded to give him the virtual two fingers by giving the business to Wiggle. Cheeky c*nts, why don't they price their stuff competitively rather than mugging off potential customers.
£24 on their own website. Maybe the £42 was a mistake?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philshoz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:36 pm

Black wrote:
ATTMFKH wrote:went into evans cycles , £42 for one Continental Gatorskin tyre - told the dude it was way too hefty - he said he would price match off the interweb if I showed him the same tyre elsewhere for less.

£24 on their own website. Maybe the £42 was a mistake?

J's dyslexic, it's official.
Philshoz

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Think it is right Black - Halfords do the same - I saw a track pump online on Halfords website - £24 , went into the store to buy it & it was tagged £36 - pulled the guy up and he said I could have the online price - C*NTS the lot of them - why not have one price.
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:50 pm

I now remember some years back working in a shop that did random online reductions of considerable value. When punters came in to buy the item I told them to go online as I couldn't reduce the shop item! I still can't understand why you would want to rip off your shop customers?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:41 am

ATTMFKH wrote:Think it is right Black - Halfords do the same - I saw a track pump online on Halfords website - £24 , went into the store to buy it & it was tagged £36 - pulled the guy up and he said I could have the online price - C*NTS the lot of them - why not have one price.

Seen this many times, most notably at outdoor shops in the Lakes.
Chris F

Postby Philchapman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:34 pm

Shop overheads. Maintaining a presence in the high streets isn't cheap, and they rely on impulse purchasing as well as people needing stuff 'right now' to boost profits. They're only giving it to you at the 'web price' because they want your future custom.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Reply back from Evans - I sent a nice short email in response saying I'm really glad he took the time to explain all that, it makes me feel valued as a Customer :roll:

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment however let me cover the points you raise. Indeed the Continental Gatorskin Duraskin tyres that I believe you’re referring to currently at £37.95 and in stock at the Glasgow (Bath Street) Store.

https://www.evanscycles.com/continental ... e-00131158

These are indeed their regular price and we do price match around 20 other online retailers which can be done in store by providing evidence of the price at one of those retailers. You can find more details of this on the help page below.

https://www.evanscycles.com/help/price-match

The other version of the tyre that you are referring to is the OE edition which are currently available at £23.99.

https://www.evanscycles.com/continental ... e-EV212746

These Original Equipment versions are overstock from the manufacturers or suppliers where excess stock has been ordered and not used so sold on without any packaging. Due to this we cannot stock them in our stores or sell them for home delivery outside of the UK however we can offer a deeper discount on them through our website. Should you wish to pick these up in store then you can still use our Click and Collect service for convenience. OE editions are not available for all manufacturers but where we are able to source these products we pass the discount onto our customers

Kind regards,

Richard
Evans Cycles
www.evanscycles.com
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:20 am

They gave me a £250 voucher in the lucky draw after I completed a feedback form so I've got a lot of love for Evans Cycles right now.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:41 pm

^^ Nice one - I was kinda fishing for a 'token' gesture - fuck them , I won't be back
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:46 am

Now own one of these....

https://www.evanscycles.com/garmin-fenix-3-EV242438

Tracking cycling, surfing, swimming, cycling, walking. Saddo.
Chris F

Postby Surfy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:06 am

The Fenix is an insanely good piece of kit, been thinking about getting one for ages.
Surfy

Postby Chris F » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm really pleased with it. First of all thought it was a bit bulky but got used to it. Might try download the surf tracker app too.
Chris F

Postby future primitive » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Went on a cycling trip down to the alps about a month ago,got a few of the Cols in,bloody hard work but some very stunning scenery along the way,really do wish i only weighed about 10-11st would make tackling these a lot easier
future primitive

Postby Steviesee » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Good work Future!

Check this -

Team Sky bus nearly takes out a cyclist!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/37309613
Steviesee

PreviousNext

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)