Road Bikes

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Re: Road Bikes

Postby flacky » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 am

Nothing in particular chris. The area seems great, looks some interesting stuff there, nice scenery, good rides.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Chris F » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Yeah, the Peak was the first place I ever went to do some "proper" outdoor climbing (not toproping that horrible soft southern stuff) back in 1989 (!), so its always had a place in my heart. Not been in ages, need to get back.
Chris F

Postby flacky » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Good time to buy a bike now. I picked up a Mondraker Full Suspension this time last year for 1400, got almost a grand off the list price. The only real changes they made to the newer model was a different coating on the Fox forks, different brakes and went from 3x9 to 2x10 on the gears. Online, Evans, JeJeJames and Pauls Cycles always have good offers about January.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby tootes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm

just bought this for the princely sum of £299. Think all that carbon tat* is wasted on most people.

* I can't afford that carbon tat
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby Leedsol » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:04 am

tootes wrote:just bought this for the princely sum of £299. Think all that carbon tat* is wasted on most people.

* I can't afford that carbon tat

Your probably right there, saw this on a cycling site:

It's a cliché for a good reason - because it's true. You decisions will be based on how serious you are about going fast, how much discomfort you're prepared to endure, what the course is like and how deep your pockets are. But don't be put off trying sportives just because you haven't got ‘all the gear'. My first sportive was ridden on a cheap flat barred road bike. I've ridden a 100 mile sportive on an MTB. I've also ridden a few sportives on a proper road bike and to be honest, the results were much the same. Each bike had it's merits.
A few years ago during an event in North Wales, I was passed by former End-to-End record holder Andy Wilkinson, who was riding a roadified Cannondale MTB with slicks and tri-bars. Now there's a guy who knows a thing or two about riding long and riding fast - and a great reminder that you don't have to follow the crowd.

-------------

Might just put slicks and bar ends on my bic equivalent for this year and see how I go, got a few rides planned in spring near my folks (Ambleside to Ullswater a kirkstone and duddon valley recreating the raleigh arena days) Doing 11 miles in 45 mins on the hilly (mow cop mile) part of my circuit so quite happy with that on 42mm tyres so expect a big improvement with thinner ones.

What's that bike btw
Last edited by Leedsol on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby flacky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 am

Carrera's are shit hot bikes for the money. People put off cos they're a shops's own brand. Always well specced, good solid build. Winner!

I only splashed out on mine as I was fed up of average parts getting beat up and replaced. So went for the sales and got a bargain.

All good.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby WP101 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:30 pm

tootes wrote:Think all that carbon tat* is wasted on most people.

you dont want carbon anyway, if the frame gets damaged its structural integrity is lost due to the nature of the material. Al or steel. I only know this cos my workmate was just reading a book on the subject.
WP101

Postby flacky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:51 pm

No way I'd trust a carbon MTB frame. I'm sure the home works been done but no thanks.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby WP101 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 pm

flacky wrote:No way I'd trust a carbon MTB frame. I'm sure the home works been done but no thanks.

if they crack they cannot be repaired properly because the strength of carbon fibre relies on the integrity of the weaved together fibres, (spose its kinda like wood in that way)...as opposed to metal, that can be repaired.
WP101

Previous

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)