Coldingham Bay

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Re: Coldingham Bay

Postby danny1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 pm

PS is this in east Lothian or borders council? East Lothian seem to be fairly forward thinking in my recent experience
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby swiggy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Definitely borders not east lothian. Pease bay is actually in borders not e lothian.

And there is no "public funding" here that I can see danny. Whether he pays £500 or £1000 a year the council is still taking money from him, where is the public funding his business? There is no money going from the council to him..
swiggy

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm

danny1 wrote:At the end of the day mate - we are in a deep deep recession .

Councils have to cut as their funding dries up.

If you want public money to subsidise a beach hut , rather than be spent where it's needed , like on care homes then sign te petition.

Sorry to get bigger picture on your ass but councils are gonna prob have at least another 10 years of cuts... So no room for sentimentality unless you pass the burden to the private sector

Agree.......but it is a right cunt at times.

By the way - East Lothian Council can be forward thinking but they are also prone to being really stupid and short sighted at times. I am 50 50 on them but they've pissed me off again with their 3rd or 4th attempt to get beach parking charges back on the menu in East Lothian.....just silly and half baked and they even had to admit they have their sums all wrong.
skimmer2

Postby danny1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Swig I mean the council can get a better revenue from the publicly owned asset by putting it out to tender
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby skimmer2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 am

Okay dokey - the story now unfolds.

What this is about is the Council (under a management strategy approved in March 2012) wishes to invest in a new building at Coldingham Bay. They have offered a three year lease to the tenant to enable this to happen. I expect that with all public contracts that to run the new services it will have to be tendered fairly and openly...which means the current tenant could possibly lose out...especially if current profits are anything to go by.

This looks to me to be a PR blunder in that the council should have explained this from the start....although this will all surely be a matter of public record if agreed by a Council committee in March?

This happens all the time - old and tired facilties need to be upgraded but folk have long affections with them and don't want to see them go. Some call it progress and some don't.
skimmer2

Postby Chris F » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm

skimmer2 wrote:I expect that with all public contracts that to run the new services it will have to be tendered fairly and openly...which means the current tenant could possibly lose out...especially if current profits are anything to go by.

This happens all the time - old and tired facilties need to be upgraded but folk have long affections with them and don't want to see them go. Some call it progress and some don't.

Sounds exactly like what happened at Glentress.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/a ... afe-28601/
Chris F

Postby skimmer2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Chris F wrote:
skimmer2 wrote:I expect that with all public contracts that to run the new services it will have to be tendered fairly and openly...which means the current tenant could possibly lose out...especially if current profits are anything to go by.

Sounds exactly like what happened at Glentress.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/a ... afe-28601/

However on that occasion, the Commission informed the tenants years ahead of what was intended.
skimmer2

Postby Chris F » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Ok not "exactly like" more "similar to" :wink: not that I would want to give the FC a bad name! :wink: :wink:
Chris F

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Chris F wrote:Ok not "exactly like" more "similar to" :wink: not that I would want to give the FC a bad name! :wink: :wink:

Plenty others would :D
skimmer2

Previous

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)