Help please! What are my rights? Car trouble.

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Help please! What are my rights? Car trouble.

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 am

Right. Took my motor in for repair not so long ago. They called me up to tell me what the problem was and how much to fix. I OK. I go to collect, problem still there (rattling) but only quieter. Call up straight away to tell them. They have another look at car and say something else needs doing.

Can I ask for this new work to be done FOC? In my mind they didn't repair the problem I took it in for in the first place and they have already charged me. Obviously the original work didn't fix the problem I asked them to fix.

Google doesn't seem to throw up any definite answers on this. Anyone got any experience/advice for me?

Ta :-D
Poo Stance

Re: Help please! What are my rights? Car trouble.

Postby The Decorator » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:33 am

This is a real toughie.
Over the last few years having more time and tools I've been doing a lot of work on various cars myself. Fortunately I have a friend with a big shed and alot more knowledge than me to help but....
So much boils down to how much you trust them. One problem more often than not leads to another. Eg replaced thermostat in wifes 1995 bmw the other day only for the water pump to crap out two days later. Did that and while bleeding system a hose mounting broke, To get to it I had to remove airfilter housing, all belts, oil filter and alternator and bracket, took me all day to replace a $20 piece of plastic. Next day another one blew....
I would hate to be a mechanic for gain.
If it's definitely the original problem that hasn't been fixed then I'd say you're within your rights to take them to task but if it's a seperate problem...
Can't reiterate enough, if you find a trustworthy mechanic, pay them and make them tea.
www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 am

Sounds like a nightmare.

It's defo the original problem. No doubt about it. So you think I should ask them to do it FOC? I'm thinking of saying I don't mind paying for any new parts they put in (at cost price). Or if they tell me how much this new work will cost and then asking them to subtract the original price from the new one. That sound reasonable or should I demand it FOC?

Thanks for the response :-D
Poo Stance

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:42 pm

had the same gig with a Primera I owned. Paid by Visa so called them and they put a dispute on the payment i.e. money into holding account ....... garage eventually fixed the problem , ignition switch , for the price of changing the ignition switch , not the full choke strip down they originally charged me for .......
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks for the responses peeps. In the end they offered to do the work for the price of the part and no labour. I figured this was reasonable so paid without kicking up a fuss.

Still got a few issues with it though so if anyone knows a good VW mechanic around Surrey/S.London border feel free to pass on their details.

Mahalo batos :-D
Poo Stance

Postby swiggy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Poo Stance wrote:Still got a few issues with it though so if anyone knows a good VW mechanic around Surrey/S.London border feel free to pass on their details.

You'd be better off just driving it into a lake and claiming the insurance
swiggy

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)