Windows 8

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Windows 8

Postby Black » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Truly awful experience upto now. A complete and utter mess. Stuck with a monitor display at a lower resolution with a squat aspect ratio. Constantly uninstalling loads of pointless microsoft "apps" that just duplicate things you can already do. The myriad ways you can get to stuff seems to be randomly thrown together. Even the £25 for the download seems like a ripoff so far. Not happy!
Never growing old together...
Black

Re: Windows 8

Postby Kamikaze » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 pm

I've installed it on a test laptop, It's just windows 7 with the start button migrated to a slide out in the top right corner.

Can't say as that I like it, but I don't hate it either. I'm going to upgrade my mail laptop to it, so it can't be that bad!

What the point of all those tiles is though I ahve no idea. seem to be useless unless you use ms mail, facebook and twatter, and I don't use any of those.
Kamikaze

Postby Underdog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:28 am

This sounds worrying. Are you guys using it with a touch screen?

Been looking at audio interfaces recently and finally got one that may (or may not) be compatible with my old Vista. I wasn't too worried as, 10 days ago, a cheap upgrade was available to Win 7.
Won (sic) a unit on e bay and now find that the win 7 upgrade has disappeared :-(.

Looks like a choice between £80.00 for Win 7 on disk or £25.00 for 8.

Starting to wish I was savvy enough to try linux :?
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby Black » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 am

I'm using W8 on desktop so all the touch screen stuff is just awkward. Without that you have a more basic desktop with a not very intuitive interface.

I tried Linux specifically to do music and eventually gave up. Couldn't get much of the software to work, even though I installed a specific music version of ubuntu?

I'm not stupid either, honest!
Black

Postby Underdog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for the info.
However, I am no longer worried - The new Komplete Audio 6 arrived today and (after 4 1/2 hrs fiddling) works with my old vista laptop so no need of any upgrades. (as does all the software bundled) That's me sorted for the long winter nights.
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby roberdy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Underdog wrote:The new Komplete Audio 6

Good pick, love the NI stuff myself :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Kamikaze » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 pm

When Windows 7 was released every man and his fucking dog was claiming that it was their idea.

I see no one is owning up for Windows 8...
Kamikaze

Postby Black » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Didn't the main guy resign recently?
Black

Postby Black » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Black wrote:Stuck with a monitor display at a lower resolution with a squat aspect ratio.

Hmmm, when I installed W8 it couldn't find a compatible driver for the monitor so I assumed that was why it wouldn't display the right resolution. Happened to look at Device Manager last night and its not got the right video driver - never mentioned this on W8 install. So I load the right one (luckily the Vista driver was ok) and hey presto the resolution is back to normal so now I can watch surf video in the right aspect ratio!!
Sorry to bore you with that but its made me almost happy!
Black

Postby roberdy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Black wrote:
Black wrote:Stuck with a monitor display at a lower resolution with a squat aspect ratio.

Hmmm, when I installed W8 it couldn't find a compatible driver for the monitor so I assumed that was why it wouldn't display the right resolution. Happened to look at Device Manager last night and its not got the right video driver - never mentioned this on W8 install. So I load the right one (luckily the Vista driver was ok) and hey presto the resolution is back to normal so now I can watch surf video in the right aspect ratio!!
Sorry to bore you with that but its made me almost happy!

hurrah for you mate :) it's good to watch "surf" movies at the right resolution!!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)