Windows 8

A place for regulars and new visitors to talk about whatever comes to mind. An opportunity to share your 'non-surf' wisdom with the rest of us.

Windows 8

Postby Black » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Truly awful experience upto now. A complete and utter mess. Stuck with a monitor display at a lower resolution with a squat aspect ratio. Constantly uninstalling loads of pointless microsoft "apps" that just duplicate things you can already do. The myriad ways you can get to stuff seems to be randomly thrown together. Even the £25 for the download seems like a ripoff so far. Not happy!
Never growing old together...
Black

Re: Windows 8

Postby Kamikaze » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 pm

I've installed it on a test laptop, It's just windows 7 with the start button migrated to a slide out in the top right corner.

Can't say as that I like it, but I don't hate it either. I'm going to upgrade my mail laptop to it, so it can't be that bad!

What the point of all those tiles is though I ahve no idea. seem to be useless unless you use ms mail, facebook and twatter, and I don't use any of those.
Kamikaze

Postby Underdog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:28 am

This sounds worrying. Are you guys using it with a touch screen?

Been looking at audio interfaces recently and finally got one that may (or may not) be compatible with my old Vista. I wasn't too worried as, 10 days ago, a cheap upgrade was available to Win 7.
Won (sic) a unit on e bay and now find that the win 7 upgrade has disappeared :-(.

Looks like a choice between £80.00 for Win 7 on disk or £25.00 for 8.

Starting to wish I was savvy enough to try linux :?
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby Black » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 am

I'm using W8 on desktop so all the touch screen stuff is just awkward. Without that you have a more basic desktop with a not very intuitive interface.

I tried Linux specifically to do music and eventually gave up. Couldn't get much of the software to work, even though I installed a specific music version of ubuntu?

I'm not stupid either, honest!
Black

Postby Underdog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for the info.
However, I am no longer worried - The new Komplete Audio 6 arrived today and (after 4 1/2 hrs fiddling) works with my old vista laptop so no need of any upgrades. (as does all the software bundled) That's me sorted for the long winter nights.
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby roberdy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Underdog wrote:The new Komplete Audio 6

Good pick, love the NI stuff myself :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Kamikaze » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 pm

When Windows 7 was released every man and his fucking dog was claiming that it was their idea.

I see no one is owning up for Windows 8...
Kamikaze

Postby Black » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Didn't the main guy resign recently?
Black

Postby Black » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Black wrote:Stuck with a monitor display at a lower resolution with a squat aspect ratio.

Hmmm, when I installed W8 it couldn't find a compatible driver for the monitor so I assumed that was why it wouldn't display the right resolution. Happened to look at Device Manager last night and its not got the right video driver - never mentioned this on W8 install. So I load the right one (luckily the Vista driver was ok) and hey presto the resolution is back to normal so now I can watch surf video in the right aspect ratio!!
Sorry to bore you with that but its made me almost happy!
Black

Postby roberdy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Black wrote:
Black wrote:Stuck with a monitor display at a lower resolution with a squat aspect ratio.

Hmmm, when I installed W8 it couldn't find a compatible driver for the monitor so I assumed that was why it wouldn't display the right resolution. Happened to look at Device Manager last night and its not got the right video driver - never mentioned this on W8 install. So I load the right one (luckily the Vista driver was ok) and hey presto the resolution is back to normal so now I can watch surf video in the right aspect ratio!!
Sorry to bore you with that but its made me almost happy!

hurrah for you mate :) it's good to watch "surf" movies at the right resolution!!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Black » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:14 am

Well you'll be pleased to know the saga continues and I've been this close to a nervous breakdown.

Had an issue for a while with Windows update not working - did some research and ignored it for as long as possible. When I decided to tackle it the first time it turned out Microsoft as usual made it impossible for me to use a simple solution (I won't go into that) so left it until recently to bite the bullet and fully attack it. A labyrinth of dead ends later I had to completely reinstall Win 8.1 from downloaded iso (the new one that works!) but hey guess what my video card which hates Win8 as much as Win8 hates it cannot display the resolution the windows install uses so I can't see anything to click/input to install windows so now I'm left with a pile of useless tech sitting on the floor!!!

I finally resolved the display problem to load 8.1 (I'll leave you guessing how) - sure enough the video card is not recognised after OS install so had to download & try a number of "variations" and methods but eventually got the card installed ok.

I'm not sure if it was the tweaking I did to my old windows install that caused the issue or some other reason but in my research I came accross a guy who was convinced it was embedded in an earlier version of .NET which is stacked underneath all the cumulative updated versions and thus an irresolveable issue. Funnily the new W8.1 iso does not have the older .NET versions as I see one of the programs I installed keeps asking for an earlier version!!!

At least I now have a DVD of Win8.1 which will be useful for the next mess I find myself in.
If anyone else is using a version of Win8 and deosn't have an install disk go download it from Microsoft - they've actually made it easy for the first time EVER!

The best thing about the whole process - Mozbackup - its a dream to use and works so well.

Until the next time!
Black

Postby Leven » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Buy a Macbook.
Leven

Postby Philshoz » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Leven wrote:Buy a Macbook.

Or a Mac Mini.

I went over to a Mac last year, best thing I ever did.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Black » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:16 pm

Definitely something to look at (the mini not the laptop - don't do laptops) when I can no longer pull my hair out to fix this thing. Not overly priced for a change.

Discovered I lost some art that I spent half a lifetime on because Win8 doesn't like talking to a Samba server, I knew this was an issue but in my hurry to back up I didn't check. :cry:
Black

Postby Philshoz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Philshoz

Postby Philshoz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Philshoz

Postby Black » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Philshoz wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30924022

Yeah I heard 10 was coming and looks like its got even more phone shit you don't want on a desk top. Voice control has been around for years and the best use would be... Hey Cortana can you go f__k yourself! Says its a free upgrade but the price is actually using it - I'm out! :-)
Black

Return to Chat (Non-Surf Related)